Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Richardhapton
    • By Richardhapton 16th Jul 17, 9:26 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Richardhapton
    Is this a scam party wall
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:26 AM
    Is this a scam party wall 16th Jul 17 at 9:26 AM
    I have received some speculative letters surrounding the party wall act as my neighbours are doing and extension. After doing some research Adele Bonham from bonham surveyors has been a director of two other party wall company's in the last five years Simon Bonham Limited and Phillips & Locke both are now dissolved companies but Phillips and Locke sent me a letter to looking at there website they trade as Surveys For London Ltd

Can I trust any of these people?
    Last edited by Richardhapton; 16-07-2017 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Title not clear
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 16th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    • 23,885 Posts
    • 66,391 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    I'd be more comfortable contacting a company directly if and when the time comes. Why should you trust those people just because they contact you? If you don't like what you see on Companies House, don't use them. There are plenty of reputable surveyors.

There are stories of ambulance chasing type companies who charge extortionate fees, ask unecessary questions, racking up the hours on their fees as they go. Whilst this work is being carried out by your neighbours and the cost borne by them, there's no reason why you need a separate PWS straight from the off when your neighbours haven't even served notice yet.

You have a choice as to whether you dissent at all when they do serve notice. You can also use the same PWS. It isn't rocket science and no neighbour is going to deliberately set out to cause damage.

Ultimately, the PWA is to assess condition, agree the methods used, compensate you if building off a party wall that belongs to and was paid for by you and agree that any damage will be rectified. There's a lot of common sense involved, there doesn't have to be dispute.

Is the extension to affect the party wall hugely?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Richardhapton
    • By Richardhapton 16th Jul 17, 10:45 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Richardhapton
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:45 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:45 AM
    We don't even share a wall with a neighbour. But I do you want to protect my property from any damage that could be caused. Will my home insurance be enough?
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 16th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    • 23,885 Posts
    • 66,391 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    You don't share a wall? How far is this extension from your house?
    • Richardhapton
    • By Richardhapton 16th Jul 17, 11:22 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Richardhapton
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:22 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:22 AM
    I don't know.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 16th Jul 17, 1:39 PM
    • 23,885 Posts
    • 66,391 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 16th Jul 17, 1:39 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 1:39 PM
    The Party Wall Act may not even apply!

"I don't know" doesn't really allow me to advise any further.
    • Johnhowell
    • By Johnhowell 16th Jul 17, 6:29 PM
    • 603 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    Johnhowell
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:29 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:29 PM
    Party Wall Act may still apply if the proposed works affect your foundations - depends of depth of foundations, depth of proposed works, distance between foundations and therefore the angle of effect...

Ask you neighbour if they have assigned a Party Wall Surveyor which can assess your property before and after. You have the right to engage your own Surveyor - not a cold call scammers - which your neighbour would have to cover the costs. There is guidance on Planning and Building Control websites for this scenario.

Good luck.
    • Clive Woody
    • By Clive Woody 17th Jul 17, 10:18 AM
    • 4,392 Posts
    • 5,004 Thanks
    Clive Woody
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:18 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:18 AM
    We had an extension built and the foundations were within a certain distance of our neighbours (we are both detached) so we needed a PWA. We went round to discuss this with them, showed them our plans and kept everything nice and friendly and made sure they were fully informed.

I would avoid cold calling/mailing companies as they will charge your neighbours huge fees and as mentioned milk it for everything they can. At the end of the day you need to live next door to your neighbours so I would just talk with them and keep everything civil and ensure you are still "friends" when the build is finished. Worst case find our own surveyor who charges sensible fees.
    Rugby Union - The Greatest Game
    • cddc
    • By cddc 17th Jul 17, 4:57 PM
    • 1,126 Posts
    • 1,308 Thanks
    cddc
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:57 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:57 PM
    Avoid these cold callers like the plague if you want to maintain any kind of relationship with your neighbours because they are out to fleece them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,681Posts Today

8,513Users online

Martin's Twitter