Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Al44
    • By Al44 16th Jul 17, 9:05 AM
    • 25Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Al44
    What drawings will I need from my architect?
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:05 AM
    What drawings will I need from my architect? 16th Jul 17 at 9:05 AM
    I intend on carrying out an extension and will need to instruct an architect soon.

I know that there are different types of drawings that will need, but could anyone please list every type of drawing that I would need from start to finish?

I am aware that I'd need the basic plans to get it passed
    And then I'd need the building control drawings, but are the building control drawings different from the construction drawings that the builder will need to work from?

So if anyone could break down and list these I'd be grateful.

Thank you in advance

I am new to this and am trying to find my way through.

Thank you for your reply
Page 1
    • Tantan18
    • By Tantan18 16th Jul 17, 9:47 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Tantan18
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:47 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:47 AM
    we'll be looking to do something similar in the near future. My first step is to get a free consultation with a local architect/concept planner and then go from there. I don't know anything either, so will be asking him about every single stage and step in the process.
    • lwhiteman88
    • By lwhiteman88 16th Jul 17, 12:27 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    lwhiteman88
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:27 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:27 PM
    The level of service you can get will vary by quite a bit depending on the level of service you want and the complexity. If it is a bog standard extension then there are a few approaches you can take. I would contact a local architect firstly as they will/should offer a free consultation to talk through the process.

Firstly you will need drawings for the planning process which will be a basic set of drawings to suit the planners. Following this you have two routes:
    1 - if you are using a very well experienced (and familiar) builder it may be possible for them to use the planning drawings. Only if it is a bog standard extension and requires little detailing. They can serve building control a building notice (again depending on the complexity of the project) and they can go ahead.
    2 - get your architect to complete building regulation drawings and obtain Full Plans approval from Building Control before the works start. I would always advise this route instead of 1 because, as experienced as some builders may be they do not always foresee potential Building Regulation issues.

Following this stage of drawings and provided you have Building Regulation Approval, you can proceed with those drawings for construction. However it does depend on the level of detail your architect goes into. I tend to provide all the critical details to ensure the builder could use them for construction but I have seen some pretty basic drawings before which may not be that useful for the builder.

Other additional costs to consider pre-construction are:
    Planning Fee
    Structural Engineers fee
    Party Wall Surveyor
    Building Control Fee
    Water company application (if you are building over or near their pipes).

It really does depend on the level of service you would like. An architect is not always the cheapest route as we tend to go beyond the service of just providing drawings. It may be worth considering an Architectural Technician as well as an architect, if it is a standard extension and you know the spaces you want to create already. Ask to see examples of the different stages so you know what you are getting for you money.

If it is a bespoke service you are after and need more guidance on how an Architect can help, there is a guide that takes you through the process. If you google 'working with an architect' it should be the second link which is a PDF file. I cant seem to paste the URL for it.
    Last edited by lwhiteman88; 16-07-2017 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Link added
    • Al44
    • By Al44 16th Jul 17, 4:43 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Al44
    • 16th Jul 17, 4:43 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 4:43 PM
    I can't tell you how much I appreciate your time, input and information. Thank you and have a great weekend!
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 16th Jul 17, 4:53 PM
    • 2,310 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    • 16th Jul 17, 4:53 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 4:53 PM
    From Start to finish you will have (for a full service)

Measured Survey drawings
    Scheme design drawings
    Planning Drawings
    Building Reg Drawings (plus structural engineers drawings)
    Tender drawings (usually a written schedule of works too)
    Revised Tender drawings (when the costs come in higher than you hoped)
    Construction Issue drawings
    (on site construction details if necessary)

Planning drawings are usually at 1:100 or 1:50 scale
    Building Reg drawings 1:50/1:20 (potentially some 1:5 details too)
    Tender drawings 1:20
    Construction 1:50/1:20 and details at 1:10/1:5 scale

The construction drawings are rarely done on small projects with standard construction (or they would rarely differ from the previous information)
    But your architect will be best placed to advise on what is necessary for the work you are undertaking, it's unlikely you will need all of the above for a domestic extension!
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 16th Jul 17, 4:56 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 1,646 Thanks
    AlexMac
    • 16th Jul 17, 4:56 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 4:56 PM
    Any decent architect will know,
    - first, whether you even need planning permission for your extension, or whether it's likely to be within "Permitted Development rights". So you don't even have to get your head round stuff like

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/permitted-development-rights-for-householders-technical-guidance
    or
    https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200125/do_you_need_permission/90/interactive_house )

- and secondly, if Planning Permission is required, what drawings will be needed, and whether your Council (like ours) issues any local guidance about what is likely to be acceptable; our one is at
    http://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/downloads/file/3206/residential_extensions_basements_and_conversions_g uidance

And our council lets you look at other local Planning Applications, with drawings and decisions... Search your council's website or google it.

So there is masses of info out there, but if you're appointing a dog, why bark yesself
    • Al44
    • By Al44 16th Jul 17, 11:31 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Al44
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:31 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:31 PM
    What is the difference between construction drawings and building regulation drawings?

Could my builders work from building control drawings?
    • lwhiteman88
    • By lwhiteman88 17th Jul 17, 6:46 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    lwhiteman88
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:46 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:46 AM
    What is the difference between construction drawings and building regulation drawings?

Could my builders work from building control drawings?
    Originally posted by Al44
    Again, it really does depend on the scale of the project and the service your architect is providing.

As the_r_sole has described the different stage drawings can relate to the scale of the drawing. Building regulation drawings do not necessarily require a 'zoomed in' detail of how the window is fixed to the wall, as an example, but this would be provided as a construction drawing.

The_r_sole has described a full service which would not be needed for a domestic type extension as quite a few of those stages would be combined/overlap. However, as I have said it will depend on what the architect is offering. I provide construction type drawings which can then be used for the Building Regulation application and I actually do it this way round regardless of the scale of the project.

However there are things I provide which are not necessarily required for Building Control but is required for tendering/construction i.e. Schedule of Works, Specification, window/door schedules, risk assessment, kitchen/bathroom/joinery drawings.

You need to ask for examples of the different stages with their associated costs as architects work in different ways. The difference for some architects is they may just change the 'status' of the drawing to say 'issued for construction'. However they may add a fee for this as they will be taking on liability/risk. I do not normally change the status to issued for construction unless I have been employed to monitor the building work but the drawings would be the same.
    Last edited by lwhiteman88; 17-07-2017 at 6:48 AM. Reason: missing word
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

3,208Users online

Martin's Twitter