Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 16th Jul 17, 7:37 AM
    • 2,754Posts
    • 37,015Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Sunday 16 July 2017
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:37 AM
    O/S Daily Sunday 16 July 2017 16th Jul 17 at 7:37 AM
    O/S Daily Sunday 16 July 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Sun shining this morning. Feeling warm already.

DH, myself and DS2 all up enjoying first peaceful cuppas, DS1 still in his pit, he went out last night and came in very late/early hours this morning, so we'll leave him to catch up on some sleep.

Dinner last night was pizza, chips/jacket potato, salad for the menfolk, I had jacket potato, tuna and salad. Today we're going to mum and dad's for a bbq at lunchtime, bro and sil are coming down, so it'll be good to catch up.

DH needs a new pair of work boots - we'll be getting those this morning, I also need to get some tomatoes to make a tomato salad for my contribution to the bbq.

Workman finished the work and I'm really pleased with the work that has been done, it looks great.

Back to work tomorrow for me - just this week though, then on annual leave - it can't come soon enough!

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 16-07-2017 at 7:44 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 2
    • Judi
    • By Judi 16th Jul 17, 11:29 AM
    • 14,833 Posts
    • 59,582 Thanks
    Judi
    Actually the problem started with his stinking clothes. I said he could stay the night and i'd do his washing. I told him to pick up his laundry from the flat. "I'll do it tomorrow" he said. "No you wont" i said, "if i'm going to do your washing, im going to do it when i am ready and got an empty basket not when your ready".

He huffed and puffed all the way to his flat.... So then i decided, if he hated the place so much i was going in to see why. If it was a dirty stinking hole i had made my mind up he wasnt going to stay.

Sod me it was like a 4 star hotel. Welcoming reception staff. High security, computers in the foyer (about 8 of them all switched on but only one being used). The reception staff greeted him and where nice to me but explained he wasnt allowed visitors after 10pm. I explained i just wanted to see where he was staying so they let me through. Prodigal slammed every door we went through. His room.... well ive seen worse hotels. He picked up his washing that was chucked all over the place. I thanked the staff for bending the rules for me. Then we went out to the car where his Dad started yelling at him for slamming the car door.

Or course all this was caught on CCTV.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 16th Jul 17, 11:32 AM
    • 1,615 Posts
    • 19,312 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Judi what a worry for you.Have a hug x

One for you too Karcher,and anyone else needing one.

I've still got the lurgy so not done much all week.Weather is brightening now,must have rained a lot last night though-plenty in the river. DSons back later from their mates wedding further North,its been very quiet.
    Hope the walk goes ok Tru

xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 16th Jul 17, 11:36 AM
    • 566 Posts
    • 4,363 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Morning all,

Well things went belly up last night with Prodigal. After his treatment had ended he was assessed by the mental health team where he was told, unless he was prepared to make some life style changes there was nothing they could do or would do for him. Fair play, i sat in on the meeting and thought it was a fair assessment so he was discharged.

Thats when the trouble started. He had a huge bust up with his Dad outside the flats which was caught on CCTV as he didnt want to go back to the flat and slammed the car door so hard im surprised the windows didnt break. He stormed off.

He made a 999 call at 2am but when they got to him he had disappeared..

We had a visit from the police this morning asking as to his whereabouts....

He has now been listed as a missing person.

My onwards and forwards is not working today,

have a great day all.
    Originally posted by Judi
    Judi, I am so sorry to hear this. I really do hope that they find him soon.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 16th Jul 17, 12:24 PM
    • 1,075 Posts
    • 11,866 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Judi, what a nightmare for you
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 16th Jul 17, 3:05 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 14,238 Thanks
    csarina2
    Afternoon ((((((((((hugs))))))))))) if you need one, Judi have an extra long one, I hope they find your son safe and well.

Well after a lot of discussion we decided to get another TV. I was not prepared to pay more then £200 for one, eventually found one at Argos for £189.99, ordered it and collected it this morning.

Called to see DD2 she and DGD were sorting the front garden, its been a mess ever since she moved in, GD has uncovered crazy paving under grass which has been allowed to grow over it. We had a cup of tea and cake and then came home.

OH decided he did not want lunch so went for his siesta.....I tackled the new TV......unpacked it, sorted the feet, plugged in the Freeview aerial and the freesat box, pressed the button on the TV and bingo....it loaded up no problem.......I am watching the mens finals......

Roast pork for supper, we will have it a bit earlier. OH is out washing the car ready for tomorrow, do not want to go to a funeral with a grubby car. It is not going to be an easy day for any of us.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 16th Jul 17, 3:23 PM
    • 5,584 Posts
    • 32,079 Thanks
    Gers
    Afternoon.

My day has been good so far. Got two loads of washing out on the line, the wind was fair huffing and puffing. Not much sunshine but the blustery wind soon got things dry.

Second marking done - at last. Some reading done. Some tidying up done (cleaner is coming tomorrow morning) and I think broadband almost sorted.

When ex was here the other week he set up a new BT router which I suspect to be the culprit of slow broadband. Speed dropped from a 'high' of 1.9mbps to a less than dial up of 0.41mbps. Last night I had a tantrum to myself and put the old router back on. Viola - back to normal! Fortunately ex changed all the passwords and codes to be the same on both routers so no fiddling around, just straight plug and leads swap. So I've cancelled the engineer, for now.

I've cleared out a pile of unwanted / unused nightwear. I'm never going to wear six pairs of pj bottoms, two fluffy tops (can't bear fleece anywhere near me) or anything green.

My new handbag looks good, here's hoping it does the job for me. I need one that isn't too small but not big enough for it to become a depository of stuff, or for anyone else to ask me to carry things for them! And it has to take my tablet. Not easy to fit all those requirements as I really hate big bags. Just watching some women rummaging around in a bag the size of Mary Poppin's drives me mental.

Happy evening.

My
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 16th Jul 17, 6:58 PM
    • 3,489 Posts
    • 19,780 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    JUDI I am so sorry to read about Prodigal. I really hope he is found safe and well soon x

I feel really tired tonight and I don't know why as I have hardly been exerting myself. Pottering and making lunch this morning and then this afternoon I alternated between sitting in the sunshine reading and sitting indoors watching the tennis.

Enjoy your evening if you can folks xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 16th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 1,390 Posts
    • 16,245 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Just caught up in the thread, am so sorry Judi, hope you have some positive news soon.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 1,834 Posts
    • 12,388 Thanks
    caronc
    Judi <<hugs>> I hope your son turns up safe and well xx
    Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £161/£170
    • Floss
    • By Floss 16th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    • 3,649 Posts
    • 28,167 Thanks
    Floss
    Judi hope things improve for Prodigal & you, it must be very difficult being caught between him & your DH.

Have been watching the tennis & listening to the cricket while pottering in the kitchen and preparing a Sunday meal for DH who is shed-building. Popped to the lottie earlier to water the greenhouses and pick the last few strawberries, a few rasps, rhubarb, blue berries & a big bunch of sweet peas which are on the hearth looking at me
    • karcher
    • By karcher 16th Jul 17, 8:30 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 9,078 Thanks
    karcher
    Thinking of you Judi xx

Any news?
    • Judi
    • By Judi 16th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    • 14,833 Posts
    • 59,582 Thanks
    Judi
    Thinking of you Judi xx

Any news?
    Originally posted by karcher
    No. I had a phone call from the police this afternoon asking me to confirm a few details but nothing since.

His Dad went down to the hostel this afternoon to take his shoes and his bank card and a few bits of washing i'd done but they refused to let him leave the things with them in case anything went missing and they hadnt seen him at all. As far as i am aware he is only wearing the flip flops i bought him yesterday.

His Dad has calmed down. The ranting has stopped and he's depressed. Two peas in a pod those two are and no one but me can see it.

Sleep well all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • karcher
    • By karcher 16th Jul 17, 10:38 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 9,078 Thanks
    karcher
    No. I had a phone call from the police this afternoon asking me to confirm a few details but nothing since.

His Dad went down to the hostel this afternoon to take his shoes and his bank card and a few bits of washing i'd done but they refused to let him leave the things with them in case anything went missing and they hadnt seen him at all. As far as i am aware he is only wearing the flip flops i bought him yesterday.

His Dad has calmed down. The ranting has stopped and he's depressed. Two peas in a pod those two are and no one but me can see it.

Sleep well all.
    Originally posted by Judi
    Judi, I'm sorry.
    I really hope you hear from him soon.

It isn't much help but I will be thinking of you and I hope you get some sleep too.

x
    Last edited by karcher; 16-07-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

1,834Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin