Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 16th Jul 17, 2:30 AM
    • 91Posts
    • 134Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Debt Free By August '18
    • 16th Jul 17, 2:30 AM
    Debt Free By August '18 16th Jul 17 at 2:30 AM
    Hi everyone,

I've been reading these boards for a good while now. Here's my debt story.

I'm 25 and got a credit card at the age of 18 when I started uni. I've been through cycles of having it paid out but always seem to run it up again. The limit on this card was only ever £1000. 2 years ago I read on MSE about balance transfer cards and got a Barclaycard 0% to clear this card for once and for all. Before I finished paying off the Barclaycard transfer I'd kept using my original credit card and every time I ran it close to the limit I did another 0% transfer to avoid paying interest on my original card.

I'm not struggling with my debt and I have a good credit score but I just want to get rid of it before we start to plan a family. We recently got married and I aim to be debt free before our first wedding anniversary!

Debts
    Credit card 1: £630
    Credit card 2: £1550 (interest free until July 2018)

Plan
    Pay off credit card one at £210 pm until October.
    Pay off credit card two at £200pm until April. Until October I will continue to pay £50 pm.

Spend breakdown
    Wages £1200 pm (( I got a pay rise of around £80pm a few months ago which I am planning to put in a separate bank account for everyday spends to try and stop putting additional spends on my credit card))

Rent £165
    Car £200
    Car insurance £50
    Shopping £60
    Gas £40
    Tv licence £11
    Petrol £60
    Phone £62
    Horse £140

Leaves £412. I plan to use £200 pm to pay off credit cards and use £200 pm for our next holiday.

Fyi some of the spends may seem low, we mostly half our bills but some my husband pays more towards. This is exactly what my spends are per month.

My plan sounds simple doesn't it. The issue I have is those eff it days where you spend £'s here and there on absolute rubbish! My budgets don't include these ridiculous spends such as £80 on drinks one random unplanned night out or £28 on silly t-shirts for the family I couldn't resist.

I'd love to cut up my cards but I just love having the security that if I needed money in a genuine emergency I'd have them! I guess that's why people have emergency funds...my problem is that when you're in your 20s you don't want to miss out on holidays etc so all my savings go towards holidays which I have no problem paying for, it's just random absolute rubbish that I keep using my credit cards for!

All advice welcome
    Last edited by CreditCardJunkie; 01-01-2018 at 9:04 PM.
Page 3
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 11th Jan 18, 6:43 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Well I've definitely been neglecting my diary. I've hurt my back and neck...can't believe it and no idea how I've done it. Luckily I'm car sharing at the moment so my very kind friend has been driving to work otherwise I would be well and truly snookered money wise. On the bright side of very limited movement I haven't been able to spend lol.
    Thankfully tomorrow is payday!!!
    RBS CC: £54 / £840 Barclaycard: £100 / £2650
    Aim to be debt free: 31st Aug 2018
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2018 #076
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 13th Jan 18, 3:10 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Okay so paid all my bills and because id used my card..although I paid off £100...It worked out as £32 more than where I was last time. We needed extra shopping and gas which is why i had to use my card. Cant really argue with myself on this one.

This diary and the challenge are really helping me see where I'm going wrong.

Had a birthday this week which was extra spends than normal and treated the horse to some extra bedding as the weather is miserable!

Back pain is still pretty bad,have tried every over the counter solution and it isn't giving me any relief. Feel like I've been having a run of it lately.

Get paid again in two weeks and so does OH. He should be giving me at least £50 to pay off his share of some of the credit card debt and I'll be putting off another £180. I like getting chunks paid off.

Out of this pay I transferred £20 into a bank account I don't use for extra holiday spends....very pleased with myself about this one.
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 14th Jan 18, 5:02 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    £28 spend today on bedding,fuses, ear drops for the dog and cotton wool.
    We recently changed to a king size and only had one set of bedding...a nightmare trying to get it washed and dried in the same day this weather as we don't have a tumble drier!

Going to see a physio during the week for my back which is £40 but this is 100% necessary.

Living room lamp broke today which is a pain. It was expensive and we've tried to fix it with no avail. Don't want to spend money on something for the meantime so will possibly just wait until we've the money for a nice replacement!
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 15th Jan 18, 8:12 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    £40 spend on physio today. Here's hoping it'll fix my back. She's 90% sure it's muscular and the other 10% is a disc. She advised 2 more treatments and if I don't have relief she said I should get an MRI scan.
    Feel like I'm getting the flu again....feel exactly how I felt last time...around a month ago. !!!!ed off
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 16th Jan 18, 9:22 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Think I have (hopefully) managed to avoid the flu. Had those horrible body aches last night and had a bath and went to bed. Haven't felt myself today but no other flu symptoms. No improvement with my back unfortunately. Was able to get a doctor's apointment and referred to NHS physio ...depending on waiting times will possibly have to pay private in between because I am in so much pain.
    Had to get an unforcasted £20 of petrol today as I was running low from being out at the weekend. Between that and the £40 last night from physio (all onto the credit card of course) I've absolutely no idea where I'm going to be money wise and feeling pretty shitty about it
    On the positive side I've only missed about 45mins of work due to my back so far so very thankful I haven't lots of losses earnings on top.
    Never a dull moment!
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 17th Jan 18, 8:00 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    1.95 spend on essential toiletries today.
    Back is still the same but no sign of cold/flu thankfully.
    Been having a hot bath every night and they're becoming addictive!!
    Haven't been as tired but not sure if that's to do with the pain keeping me alert??
    Nice healthy dinner tonight of quorn, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, baby potatoes and gravy! Getting better with the veggies!
    Got a 10 voucher from asda from them messing up my order as usual. Would like to shop at Tesco but find it too expensive. Maybe once I'm debt free well be able to indulge a bit more often at m and s.
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 18th Jan 18, 9:26 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Finally a NSD today...feels like it's been ages!
    The cold weather isn't helping my money worries...more heating more fuel more food...I can't wait to get rid of this debt.
    Strained my back even more at the horses tonight...unfortunately he can't look after himself so needs must!!
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 19th Jan 18, 5:38 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    £2 spend on lunch...not bad!! Looking forward to a lie in tomorrow.
    Have a lovely weekend debt free wannabes
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 19th Jan 18, 8:22 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 5,037 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I hate the illness related spends, can't be helped but oh they hurt your pocket as well as your back.
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 20th Jan 18, 6:20 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Definitely do redofromstart!
    Guess you could say I relapsed today to my non MSE ways.
    I spent £30 on my credit card in Primark on 2 pairs of shoes for holidays a top and socks for DH and I.
    My only defence is that the trainers I'd tried to get last year and couldn't get in my size...they were £10 and I had initially wanted a pair elsewear at £50. I got a gorgeous pair of block heels for going out at night that I know I will wear to the death...they had one pair left in my size hanging at the back.
    Also spent £5 on passport photos which are required. Need to get this asap as can't do the esta without it.
    DH helped with the lifting at the horses tonight and my back isn't feeling as bad. Haven't taken any pain killers since yesterday morning.
    We're sitting in to watch a DVD tonight...Haven't decided which one yet!
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 21st Jan 18, 5:54 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    I am struggling today MSErs. My back pain has come back with bite and I'm refusing to take painkillers. They make me feel weird for days.
    All I want is a big greasy pizza and it's not budgeted for and not happening. When i am debt free I can afford greasy pizza but not today.
    Any tips for fighting with temptation??
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 21st Jan 18, 6:11 PM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 2,946 Thanks
    debtaghh
    With regards to the back pain are you allowed to use deep heat? Obviously check with your doc etc and I donít know whatís wrong with your back but the only thing that helps mine is deep heat.

Why not have a nice bath and relax with a book? Can you make a pizza? Do you have any Ď treatí food at home that you could have?
    Debt 16th October 2017: Cc £49,987- family £37,561: total debt £87549

Current debt: Cc £46,505 , Family £ 36,922 total debt £83,497

Frugal living challenge # 10- £8000 presents/ food/ entertainment/clothes/shoes/haircuts
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 21st Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Yea I've tried deep heat and literally everything. The only thing giving me relief of the 30/500 cocodamol and I hate taking them.
    I think I will trying making pizza...will need to get ingredients so will have to wait to next week's shop!
    I had went to a private physio but no joy and will have to wait it out for the NHS.
    Had quorn chicken and veggies tonight so did very well. Will have a cuppa in a bit and early night!
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 22nd Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    £5 spend at the garage on some food and bits I forgot to get in the shopping. Back seems much better today although I'm afraid to say it in case I jinx it!
    Was chatting to some colleagues today who are in similar positions to myself and we were all saying how the plan is to build an EF fund. Although my aim is to be debt free by August, my remaining debts after may are interest free. Will cross that idea when I come to it. I do want to be debt free as quickly as possible though!
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 23rd Jan 18, 9:38 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Yipeeeee I have lost 4lbs in weight. 4lbs to go and I'll be back at my wedding weight. Thank goodness

I did spend £2.50 today on a yoga dvd. I have borrowed one from a colleague and don't like to hold onto things for too long. Should be here by the end of the week. My stomach muscles are sore from yoga on Sunday which has me confident for some more!

Had dinner with family tonight and ate a lot more than I have been. Must say it was lovely and I really enjoyed the company.

Payday on Friday!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

286Posts Today

2,502Users online

Martin's Twitter