Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 16th Jul 17, 2:30 AM
    • 83Posts
    • 91Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Debt Free By August '18
    • 16th Jul 17, 2:30 AM
    Debt Free By August '18 16th Jul 17 at 2:30 AM
    Hi everyone,

I've been reading these boards for a good while now. Here's my debt story.

I'm 25 and got a credit card at the age of 18 when I started uni. I've been through cycles of having it paid out but always seem to run it up again. The limit on this card was only ever £1000. 2 years ago I read on MSE about balance transfer cards and got a Barclaycard 0% to clear this card for once and for all. Before I finished paying off the Barclaycard transfer I'd kept using my original credit card and every time I ran it close to the limit I did another 0% transfer to avoid paying interest on my original card.

I'm not struggling with my debt and I have a good credit score but I just want to get rid of it before we start to plan a family. We recently got married and I aim to be debt free before our first wedding anniversary!

Debts
    Credit card 1: £630
    Credit card 2: £1550 (interest free until July 2018)

Plan
    Pay off credit card one at £210 pm until October.
    Pay off credit card two at £200pm until April. Until October I will continue to pay £50 pm.

Spend breakdown
    Wages £1200 pm (( I got a pay rise of around £80pm a few months ago which I am planning to put in a separate bank account for everyday spends to try and stop putting additional spends on my credit card))

Rent £165
    Car £200
    Car insurance £50
    Shopping £60
    Gas £40
    Tv licence £11
    Petrol £60
    Phone £62
    Horse £140

Leaves £412. I plan to use £200 pm to pay off credit cards and use £200 pm for our next holiday.

Fyi some of the spends may seem low, we mostly half our bills but some my husband pays more towards. This is exactly what my spends are per month.

My plan sounds simple doesn't it. The issue I have is those eff it days where you spend £'s here and there on absolute rubbish! My budgets don't include these ridiculous spends such as £80 on drinks one random unplanned night out or £28 on silly t-shirts for the family I couldn't resist.

I'd love to cut up my cards but I just love having the security that if I needed money in a genuine emergency I'd have them! I guess that's why people have emergency funds...my problem is that when you're in your 20s you don't want to miss out on holidays etc so all my savings go towards holidays which I have no problem paying for, it's just random absolute rubbish that I keep using my credit cards for!

All advice welcome
    Last edited by CreditCardJunkie; 01-01-2018 at 9:04 PM.
Page 2
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 16th Dec 17, 10:23 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Thanks Kim! I am trying. Had a no spend Saturday today so well pleased! Hovered and washed the car which saves £10 on getting someone else to do it!
    Currently cuddling on the sofa with my pooch...they say the best things in life are free eh?
    Happy Saturday everyone!
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 17th Dec 17, 7:20 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Spent £32 on shopping for the week and put £30 petrol in the car which should hopefully last a fortnight. Been feeling a little more like myself so walked the dog. Having roast potatoes, bacon and cheese for dinner. Bought a load of veggies for during the week, haven't been eating very well with not being well. Anyone any tips on how/if it's possible to cook up all the veg at the weekend so it just needs heated during the week??
    • louby40
    • By louby40 17th Dec 17, 8:57 PM
    • 1,256 Posts
    • 3,480 Thanks
    louby40
    I can’t remember the last time I used my credit card. It just doesn’t leave the house anymore. I’ve set up so many various savings pots now that I have money set aside each month for different things.

We cook extra veg sometimes on Sunday to have on Mon or Tuesday but then after that it all looks a bit sad. If you don’t want to be bothered with the prep why not buy frozen veg?saves loads of time.
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL
    Emergency fund £670/£1000. Christmas savings £100/£600 Car maintenance £150/600
    Kitchen July £12,493 DEC £9,993.
    Barclaycard £1000
    Car loan £2490 Mortgage £94,593
    TOTAL DEBT (with mortgage) = £108,076 (without mortgage) = £13,483
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 17th Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    • 5,146 Posts
    • 9,788 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I am a fan of frozen veg. I also cook almost all veg apart from potatoes in the microwave. Minimal water, usually only a few minutes so I reckon it must be cheaper on the electric and I think they taste better.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 18th Dec 17, 9:25 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Thanks. I just don't like the taste of frozen veg! Maybe it's in my head!
    Spent £34 today on some extra birthday bits like cake and decorations for my dad's 50th next week. Got an email to say I'm due a refund of £39 for an event that got cancelled so not feeling so bad about that!
    Antibiotics finished and feeling lots better just in time for Christmas ����
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 20th Dec 17, 8:47 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Oops missed a day...been so tired! Had a Christmas lunch at work today with spend of just under £6. Will save some money on petrol with being off for the next week so can't complain. Been having home cooked meals as planned with no takeaways so happy with that too.
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 25th Dec 17, 10:05 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Just worked out how to add a signature and I'm really raging at myself that despite what I've been paying off since the thread started, I'm actually in more debt. To be fair £400 overall is owed by dh. I really am determined that I will have this kicked by the end of the summer 2018.

On other notes, had a really great Christmas! So nice to be feeling better and off work for a few days.
    RBS CC: £54 / £840 Barclaycard: £100 / £2650
    Aim to be debt free: 31st Aug 2018
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2018 #076
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 27th Dec 17, 9:43 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Had a day at the races yesterday. Everything except the fuel was already paid for and between OH and I we spent £20 on bets. Had a picnic and brought our own drinks so no spends there. Cheap day out for a family members birthday.
    Last day off work today so need to clean the house. Going to have a look about the forums for some 2018 sealed pot challenges!
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 28th Dec 17, 5:54 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Back to work today! Spent £1.50 on a much needed red bull. Got paid early and paid £200 off RBS cc. Thank goodness it's almost the weekend!
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 28th Dec 17, 9:01 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Debt Free in 8months
    trying to change my title.
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 29th Dec 17, 8:59 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    A no spend Friday. Well chuffed!
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 30th Dec 17, 6:50 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Total spend today of £15 for my eyebrows. Already budgeted for so not feeling one bit guilty about it. Returned something as well so that'll be another £16 off the cc when it gets processed. Had a home cooked meal which was good as we would normally have a takeaway. Building myself up for losing some lbs in the new year. I've been recently diagnosed with ME and I've been really struggling the past few weeks. I can just about manage to function never mind exercise but we'll see how it goes!
    Last edited by CreditCardJunkie; 30-12-2017 at 6:50 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 1st Jan 18, 8:54 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Happy new year!

Only spend today was for petrol for work! Did a major declutter in the kitchen, now you can feel free to look in all the cupboards without me wanting the ground to swallow me up! Also bagged DH's 2p and 1p collection which almost covers the cost of our travel insurance so well chuffed!

Took the tree down and got it put away so I won't have anything to do at the weekend.
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 2nd Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Spend of £2.19 today for lunch as click and collect for shopping wasn't until this evening. Tin of soup and a bottle of water...I'm behaving myself!!
    I don't count shopping as a spend as when I get paid I transfer a set amount of money to the joint account..so it's not coming out of my money as such.
    Weather is atrocious so no walking started....would like to do a fitness DVD but don't have that amount of energy!
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 3rd Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Spend again today of £22.68 which unfortunately went on the credit card. Need a themed outfit for a hen do and spotted something in the sale. On the plus side it's my outfit sorted and stops any panic buying nearer the time. I will pay it as soon as I get paid.
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 5th Jan 18, 8:13 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Spent my last £10 until payday (next friday) on takeaway for DH and I last time. My ME is really bad this week I am struggling to function. Don't know if I will ever feel like myself again and that is a scary prospect for me. Need to batch cook when I'm having some better days. Problem is I haven't had a better day in a few weeks
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 6th Jan 18, 6:52 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Haven't had any more spends...glad to be off work for the weekend. Really cold so I expect the heating bill to be higher!!
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 6th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 1,835 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Good luck with your journey Credit Card J

Have a look at this link just some forum little ways to boost your income.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/make-money-surveys

topcashback.co.uk

can be another small boost.
    Cashback Earnings YTD £8.25 Survey Earnings YTD £38.38
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 7th Jan 18, 7:28 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Thank you Scott I will have a Read. Funny I was actually on the site having a look this morning but won't be making any of those kind of spends for a while really.
    I did join a survey site before but I found it really time consuming to get anywhere with it!! Did a pile of surveys and some didn't even register the money so I got nothing out of it in the end.

Had a lovely day today. Feeling much better so took the dog for a lovely walk with DH along the seaside. Spent £5.29 in the garage on a family size cottage pie that was reduced so will freeze and some pepper sauce for tonight's steaks. £2.89 each in Lidl...couldn't beat it!

Came home and had a sleep as was quite tired. Had dinner and feeling like I've energy left so debating whether to take the dog on another walk. Finding M.E. hard to judge...when I have a better day I do too much because I don't know when I'll feel this good again! Even when I 'conserve' energy on my better days I can feel really rough again for weeks so I don't see a benefit.

I felt really great this morning and it makes me feel like one day I can return to my former self. Sorry if I bang on about this too much here. I haven't told any of my friends about my diagnosis it's just my parents, my husband and my manager that know about it. I don't want anyone thinking I'm just sleepy or lazy so for now I am keeping it on a need to know basis.
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 8th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    I did go for that second walk last night and I feel quite good today. Not going for a walk tonight tho as I finished work late.
    Had quorn and rice for dinner was quite tasty! Got to do a bit of cleaning before I settle down.
    Looking forward to Friday (payday) to see what I can knock off these debts!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,587Posts Today

5,782Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin