Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mr toothpick
    • By Mr toothpick 16th Jul 17, 12:11 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mr toothpick
    Smart parking fine. Confused on what action to take
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:11 AM
    Smart parking fine. Confused on what action to take 16th Jul 17 at 12:11 AM
    Hi there. Apologies for starting a new thread but I just can't seem to find the right advice. My wife received a letter from smart parking for overstaying at a bannatynes health club car park (£80 fine) The thing is she was originally on the list of staff approved cars for parking but changed her numberplate and not the list. Also it is not her that works there a friend was getting her on the list. (This friend left after the fine was issued) my wife appealed saying it was an oversight on her behalf but it is basically the same car by showing the copy of the changed v5 and staff list with the old number plate. Obviously they told us no chance, we then appealed again asking for evidence of the offence to which they sent a photo of the car at the time of issuing the ticket and stated the wardens time of first seeing the vehicle.. Basically as we are in scotland im not sure if we have shot ourselves in the foot and kind of admited that she is the driver? My wife is uneasy at the thought of months of hassle from these clowns and wonder if the reduced £45 is worth paying just to get it over with.
    Thanks
Page 1
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 16th Jul 17, 7:34 AM
    • 9,973 Posts
    • 9,017 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:34 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:34 AM
    You have admitted to being the driver, so you need to find some way of disputing their t&c. You might get the landowner or white list controller to help, but only if you had a legitimate reason to park, such as sharing the car journey with your friend who didn't have or use their own car.

But you do seem to have admitted to knowing you needed to be on a white list so you will need to look carefully at the signage re the penalties. However, as signs would be forbidding, they can't claim a contract was formed and could only be guilty of trespass. Scotland, I believe, has different laws on trespass.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th Jul 17, 10:54 AM
    • 32,047 Posts
    • 16,119 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:54 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:54 AM
    Your op is a little confusing but if she was entitled to be on the white list then she needs to make a big noise with bannatynes to get this cancelled for her.

You are right about the consequences of revealing the driver in Scotland. Without knowing who was driving the ppcs can be ignored in Scotland
    Last edited by Quentin; 16-07-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 16th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    • 9,973 Posts
    • 9,017 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    Your op is a little confusing but if she was entitled to be on the white list then she needs to make a big noise with bannatynes to get this cancelled for her.

You are right about the consequences of revealing the driver in Scotland. Without knowing who was driving the ppcs can be ignored in Scotland
    Originally posted by Quentin
    The important part in Quentin's post is highlighted. But if they have been told by the wording of your appeal, you lose that benefit, I am afraid.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Jul 17, 6:22 PM
    • 48,050 Posts
    • 61,509 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:22 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:22 PM
    wonder if the reduced £45 is worth paying just to get it over with.
    Nope.

But for goodness' sake stop replying to private parking scams in Scotland, telling them on a plate who the driver was!
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,808Posts Today

7,342Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin