Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • the shreksta
    • By the shreksta 15th Jul 17, 11:45 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 3Thanks
    the shreksta
    fence to seperate shared driveway
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:45 PM
    fence to seperate shared driveway 15th Jul 17 at 11:45 PM
    asking on behalf of a friend (and myself for future reference)

between 2 detached houses there is a double width tarmac drive way leading down towards a double garage (1 for each house).

my friend has caught his neighbour reversing across his side of the drive to save him from moving his mrs car off the driveway-he has not asked permission to cross onto my friends side.

now my friend wants to put a small 4ft or 5ft fence up from the garage to the end of the drive to seperate the 2 drives.

-would he need planning

-can the neighbour object to the fence being put up

-if the neighbour agrees,would they need to alter their deeds?
Page 1
    • stator
    • By stator 16th Jul 17, 12:28 AM
    • 5,620 Posts
    • 3,581 Thanks
    stator
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:28 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:28 AM
    Planning permission is not required for a fence of 1m or less
    He may be infringing the neighbours right of access, you would have to check the deeds.
    If the neighbours deeds and your friends deeds grant each other right of access over each other's land, then it would be silly to attempt to put up a fence. (He could take your friend to court to restore access, and your friend may end up with a large legal bill)
    If there is no right of access but the neighbour HAS to drive over part of your friends driveway, then he may have a right to continue doing so, since he has been doing so for so long.
    If there is no right of access over each others land, and I assume they can access their own driveways fully without such access, then there is no reason he can't put up a fence.

It does seem rather spiteful, has your friend asking his neighbour not to do it?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • the shreksta
    • By the shreksta 16th Jul 17, 12:39 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    the shreksta
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:39 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:39 AM
    hi

yeah he has asked him not to do it but now his neighbour is parking pretty much in the middle of the double drive just to be a !!!!!!.

this is the plot i have bought with a clear red line marking out my drive half, i have read my deeds and it states nothing about the drive being a shared access. i will be wanting to put a fence up to keep my areas private.

• xyz123
    • By xyz123 16th Jul 17, 7:30 AM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    xyz123
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:30 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:30 AM
    hi

yeah he has asked him not to do it but now his neighbour is parking pretty much in the middle of the double drive just to be a !!!!!!.

this is the plot i have bought with a clear red line marking out my drive half, i have read my deeds and it states nothing about the drive being a shared access. i will be wanting to put a fence up to keep my areas private.

Originally posted by the shreksta
    We can't see the picture. Photobucket have stopped all third party sharing on standard accounts. Use another image hosting site..
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 16th Jul 17, 10:48 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:48 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:48 AM
    Can't see the photos but from the description it seems petty. I have a similar-sounding set-up with my neighbour and we use each others' driveways to turn and manoeuvre when we need to. It just makes things easier for both parties and helps neighbours rub along. It extends to letting each other park in the other's drive when one party is on holiday, to make it appear the house is occupied and for that short period, the second car is easily parked without blocking the first.

Maybe I should consider some white lines, a fence or even a toll booth to charge my neighbour for wear and tear each time he trespasses on my drive? He could employ a reciprocal arrangement then although we'd resent each other, we'd be quits at the end of the year, so all's well.
    Last edited by Aylesbury Duck; 16-07-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 16th Jul 17, 10:56 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:56 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:56 AM
    Don't under stand the problem, he's probably started parking like that to be awkward because your friends being so petty about him reversing on the drive. If that is your friends biggest problem in life he's doing very well.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 16th Jul 17, 11:01 AM
    • 35,519 Posts
    • 149,804 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:01 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:01 AM
    The practical problem with a fence down the middle is that it makes it difficult to open car doors. Even when everyone correctly only drives and parks on their own part of the shared drive, having to allow extra room to open the door is a pain.
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 16th Jul 17, 11:09 AM
    • 700 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    Apodemus
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:09 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:09 AM
    The practical problem with a fence down the middle is that it makes it difficult to open car doors. Even when everyone correctly only drives and parks on their own part of the shared drive, having to allow extra room to open the door is a pain.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    ...and the fence would presumably have to be entirely on your own side of the boundary, so you would have less space than the neighbour!
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 16th Jul 17, 11:22 AM
    • 5,136 Posts
    • 5,561 Thanks
    ariba10
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:22 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:22 AM
    You could put two courses of bricks on your side of the centre of the driveway.

High enough to stop any domestic vehicle but not too obtrusive.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 16th Jul 17, 11:32 AM
    • 5,921 Posts
    • 5,121 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

can't you just put a line of flower buckets on you side, conveniently placed on your side?
    Y'all take care now.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 16th Jul 17, 12:29 PM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 1,469 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Oh for goodness sake, life's too short for this sort of nonsense!

The two of them should sit down over a beer and agree that chap A can use the neighbours side of the drive for access, as long as he doesn't then park in the middle.

It's difficult to imagine without a picture - but it's likely that a fence running from the road to the double garage could mean that neither of them would be able to get their car into their garage/pass the bit in between the fence and the side of the house.
    • the shreksta
    • By the shreksta 17th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    the shreksta
    i know it seems petty but it is what it is. my friend has an expensive car and i guess he doesnt want people driving close to it when there is no need to.

i will be wanting to fence down my drive way to seperate it as we will be having a couple of dogs so i will want to gate it off at the end of the house.

as for the fence being totally on my side and losing room..............posts are 3 and 3/4 inch thick so every 6ft i will lose that much-i can easily live with that.

thanks for the replies
    • Ant555
    • By Ant555 18th Jul 17, 10:15 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Ant555
    I am trying to picture the driveway.

You say double width so not necessarily 'shared' as each house probably has its own strip to do with as they see fit. Does it narrow between the houses and then out again towards the rear garages?

How long is it - if Mrs Neighbour car is parked on drive then it sounds like there is enough space to drive around it on your friends side of the drive, past the houses and then into the rear garage??

I can;t see how the neighbour can park in the middle of such a drive and think that is OK or is it just off centre enough to be a pain - i'd certainly take to parking my own car on my own bit if he was taking advantage (nothing provocative or aggressive about parking your own car on your own drive)

if my assumptions on the layout are correct and your friend does not need vehicular access to the garage then, as already suggested, some nice pots with summer flowers on your friends side could help reinforce own property boundaries as a temporary measure without the expense of a fence for now.

FWIW - if your friend goes down the fence route then be prepared for neighbour to be checking to the millimetre on the location of the boundary line!
    • warby68
    • By warby68 18th Jul 17, 10:49 AM
    • 770 Posts
    • 8,615 Thanks
    warby68
    Rubbing along with neighbours is priceless (ask anyone with a serious neighbour issue)

Unless there is more to it, your friend is petty and pettiness can escalate (as it is doing here - neighbour probably couldn't believe it - ). I'd shake my head and leave him to it.

Are there really people who mind their next door neighbour nipping across their drive for a bit of convenience?

For your own drive OP (can't see pictures) - you probably have the right to do it but neighbours are still likely to be disgruntled if you materially alter the general appearance of the immediate area - eg 20 open plan drives with one fenced in can look a bit odd or if you build something rather ugly or oversized. In a previous house the pet owners often fenced and gated to the corner of the actual house leaving the part of the drive/garden which meets the road still quite open.
    Last edited by warby68; 18-07-2017 at 10:54 AM.
    • Icecannon
    • By Icecannon 18th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Icecannon
    Clearly it's not a friend you are asking for as you keep forgetting and sayings it's your land and car and you are getting dogs...

Your neighbour has already retaliated so if this turns into a neighbour from hell situation you have only yourself to blame.
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 18th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    OP, if I was the neighbour, and you said you were wanting to fence off as you have dogs, I'd have no problem. If you wanted to fence off because I occasionally drive on your side of the tarmac, I'd be slightly bewildered and amused about how petty that sounds. The former seems to make perfect sense, the latter is like those people who put signs on their garden wall saying no parking to stop people parking on the road outside their house. Red rag to a bull. IMO, your friend would be better off in the long run sharing a bottle or two with their neighbour and playing nice.
    • the shreksta
    • By the shreksta 18th Jul 17, 4:11 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    the shreksta
    Clearly it's not a friend you are asking for as you keep forgetting and sayings it's your land and car and you are getting dogs...

Your neighbour has already retaliated so if this turns into a neighbour from hell situation you have only yourself to blame.
    Originally posted by Icecannon
    hhhhmmm interesting.........

when my house is built and i actually move in (around 6 weeks time) i will let you know...........

idiot
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 18th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    hhhhmmm interesting.........

when my house is built and i actually move in (around 6 weeks time) i will let you know...........

idiot
    Originally posted by the shreksta
    With an attitude like that, what could possibly go wrong? See you in 8 weeks when you'll probably be posting about your own driveway dispute...
    • the shreksta
    • By the shreksta 18th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    the shreksta
    I am trying to picture the driveway.

You say double width so not necessarily 'shared' as each house probably has its own strip to do with as they see fit. Does it narrow between the houses and then out again towards the rear garages?

How long is it - if Mrs Neighbour car is parked on drive then it sounds like there is enough space to drive around it on your friends side of the drive, past the houses and then into the rear garage??

I can;t see how the neighbour can park in the middle of such a drive and think that is OK or is it just off centre enough to be a pain - i'd certainly take to parking my own car on my own bit if he was taking advantage (nothing provocative or aggressive about parking your own car on your own drive)

if my assumptions on the layout are correct and your friend does not need vehicular access to the garage then, as already suggested, some nice pots with summer flowers on your friends side could help reinforce own property boundaries as a temporary measure without the expense of a fence for now.

FWIW - if your friend goes down the fence route then be prepared for neighbour to be checking to the millimetre on the location of the boundary line!
    Originally posted by Ant555
    i suppose shared driveway was the wrong description, its a double width driveway between 2 detached houses leading to a double garage (1 half for each house) and there is nothing to mark or seperate the 2 halves of the drive. his neighbour is a bell-end, always having loud parties etc and always shouting in the back yard etc, basically just a pain in the !!!!.

his drive is around 1 car length from the path to the house then the length of the house to the garage (possibly park 3 cars end to end on it)
    • the shreksta
    • By the shreksta 18th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    the shreksta
    With an attitude like that, what could possibly go wrong? See you in 8 weeks when you'll probably be posting about your own driveway dispute...
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    perhaps i should have said thankyou to him for pretty much calling me a liar then..................
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

911Posts Today

6,893Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin