Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Muzzy Daud
    • By Muzzy Daud 15th Jul 17, 11:38 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Muzzy Daud
    Car Insurance - Named Driver on Previously Voided Policy
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:38 PM
    Car Insurance - Named Driver on Previously Voided Policy 15th Jul 17 at 11:38 PM
    Hi everyone!

I've just created an account on this site in hope that I could get some questions answered on becoming a named driver for the first time.

I'm 22 years old, and passed my driving test a year ago now. I want to be insured on my mom's car as a named driver, however about 8 years ago, her insurance was declined or voided for some reason. She is the owner and keeper of the car.

I've searched on comparison websites, and a few such as GoCompare ask whether any driver has had insurance declined in the past. If I say yes, this seemingly adds the prices up by as much as £1000.

Can someone please clear up for me if this voided insurance 8 years ago still needs to be declared, or whether it should affect me as a brand new driver looking for his first insurance policy?

Any help is really appreciated!

Thanks all,

Muzzy
Page 1
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 16th Jul 17, 8:12 AM
    • 10,890 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 16th Jul 17, 8:12 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 8:12 AM
    You have to answer the questions truthfully otherwise your policy may be voided too, and you will have a blemished record, it seems odd that you don't know why the policy was voided, but on the whole underwriters do not like to have dodgy policy holders as they deem it too risky.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 16th Jul 17, 8:20 AM
    • 31,634 Posts
    • 37,326 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 16th Jul 17, 8:20 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 8:20 AM
    I'm also thinking "fronting " as you will be the main driver not you mum
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Clifford_Pope
    • By Clifford_Pope 16th Jul 17, 9:41 AM
    • 3,333 Posts
    • 3,387 Thanks
    Clifford_Pope
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:41 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:41 AM
    You want to be added as a named driver to your mother's policy so that you can be an additional driver on her car?
    I don't see why then you are the one looking for insurance and answering questions - she is the one with the insurance, apparently so for the last eight years.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    • 32,809 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    Most insurers ask if you ever had a policy cancelled. It does stay with you for ever

Try direct line who ask if any drivers had a policy cancelled in last 5 years
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 16th Jul 17, 12:04 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:04 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:04 PM
    Your post says you're a new driver looking for your first instance policy... yet it states you want to be a named driver on your mums policy? Which is it?

Be mindful that if you drive the car the most, the policy needs to be in your name with you as the main driver. If you put your mum as the main driver, and you as a named driver, just to get cheaper premiums, this is fraud.
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 16th Jul 17, 2:13 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 2,164 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 16th Jul 17, 2:13 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 2:13 PM
    The fact that your mum has had an insurance policy voided would not affect you of you really were looking for a policy of your own. However that's not what it sounds like you are doing - if you want to be a named driver on her car then it's her that's looking for insurance and her policy will just happen to cover you as well. So of course your mum will have to declare that she's had a policy cancelled. She had to declare this whether or not she adds you as a named driver.

If you get your own car and insure it in your name then you will not have to declare your mum's cancelled policy unless you want to add her as a named driver.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,691Posts Today

8,585Users online

Martin's Twitter