Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emperorstevee
    • By emperorstevee 15th Jul 17, 10:45 PM
    • 37Posts
    • 20Thanks
    emperorstevee
    Not Sure Which Nerdy Items Sell Well
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:45 PM
    Not Sure Which Nerdy Items Sell Well 15th Jul 17 at 10:45 PM
    My partner is selling items on Ebay. She has several stores, one of them dedicated to nerdy items, primarily Star Wars items. However, compared to her other stores, the store isn't selling very well. Part of the reason is the long shipping time. Which nerdy items have you found sell well, on Ebay?

Thanks
Page 1
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 16th Jul 17, 12:13 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    MrJones1
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:13 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:13 AM
    If you want to know what items sell well, you should use a research tool. Just do a quick Google search and you should find a tool that suits you.

Best of luck!
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 16th Jul 17, 3:51 PM
    • 9,612 Posts
    • 7,610 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 16th Jul 17, 3:51 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 3:51 PM
    If I had an item which was selling well on eBay I wouldn't be informing any potential competition
    • soolin
    • By soolin 16th Jul 17, 7:08 PM
    • 59,076 Posts
    • 41,869 Thanks
    soolin
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:08 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:08 PM
    My partner is selling items on Ebay. She has several stores, one of them dedicated to nerdy items, primarily Star Wars items. However, compared to her other stores, the store isn't selling very well. Part of the reason is the long shipping time. Which nerdy items have you found sell well, on Ebay?

Thanks
    Originally posted by emperorstevee
    The easy question is wHy is the shipping time too long?

I immediately wondered, and may well of course be wrong, that she is drop shipping from overseas. That in itself might be the issue if she is selling fake or,pirated items as she is endangering her whole account as only licensed things can be sold in the UK. LUCas et al are not the fastest to react (the Tolkien Estate is the fastest to react) but they will react eventually and get the account closed.

However, if these are official licensed items then why the long shipping? I assume in this instance the items are to hand, so is there any way the shipping can be speeded up, can you assist with perhaps an extra run to the post office?

Also, has someone else checked the listings for anything silly that might have crept in, illegal return policy, or anything suggesting buyer can't get a refund for loss or damaged items , and is the account properly registered as a business one ?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • emperorstevee
    • By emperorstevee 31st Jul 17, 1:30 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    emperorstevee
    • 31st Jul 17, 1:30 AM
    Ebay Selling Tool
    • 31st Jul 17, 1:30 AM
    Hello,

I have been trying to sell nerd-themed items through the drop ship method, on Ebay. My partner sells multiple items a day (she doesn't sell nerd merchandise), whilst I sell next to nothing. I feel like I need a tool to help me know exactly what to sell, when and what to put in the title, to increase my chances of sales. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 31st Jul 17, 2:47 AM
    • 25,664 Posts
    • 10,200 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 31st Jul 17, 2:47 AM
    • 31st Jul 17, 2:47 AM
    You dont need tools for that, you need experience and research.

Is anyone else selling the same items that you are? How many are they selling and how are they priced? Postage options compared to yours?
    Feedback and general history of being on ebay.

I have been on ebay a very long time, when most used yahoo auctions.

What to put in the title, the exact description without random keywords and waffle.
    Are you registered as a business seller? One of the first things to put me off after the random multi listings.

If your a business then register as one. I would pay extra and buy from a registered business than one masquerading as a private seller.

Silly terms in the description, especially not responsible for lost items.. Always a loser and i think it attracts scammers that know they will get a refund.

Know your product and its market potential.

Simple basic clean layout, ebay have been blocking certain tools lately, they want your listing to work on any device.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 31st Jul 17, 1:06 PM
    • 3,613 Posts
    • 1,825 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 31st Jul 17, 1:06 PM
    • 31st Jul 17, 1:06 PM
    Emperorstevee, have you thought about asking your question on the ebay board?
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 31st Jul 17, 2:43 PM
    • 5,629 Posts
    • 5,096 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 31st Jul 17, 2:43 PM
    • 31st Jul 17, 2:43 PM
    I don't believe any tool will help you chose what to sell or how to sell it, but will just make it a bit easier.

There are thousands of "how to make the most of ebay" guides out there. Clear descriptions and pictures is the crux of it.

Why not have your girlfriend sell the stuff?

Is this stuff you're making / importing / otherwise unique?
    • Jenna Appleseed
    • By Jenna Appleseed 1st Aug 17, 7:02 AM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 7,056 Thanks
    Jenna Appleseed
    • 1st Aug 17, 7:02 AM
    • 1st Aug 17, 7:02 AM
    Hang on, I thought it was your girlfriend who was trying to sell nerdy stuff and having problems getting buyers due to unexplained long shipping times? http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680105
    "And suddenly I find myself listening to a man I've never known before,
    Telling me about the sea..."
    • emperorstevee
    • By emperorstevee 6th Aug 17, 2:41 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    emperorstevee
    Herzloz, I actually taught my girlfriend how to do the selling. I think it is just a case of her having chosen an effective theme of items to sell.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 6th Aug 17, 10:09 AM
    • 9,162 Posts
    • 8,611 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I've moved this thread to the eBay board to try to get more responses.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • soolin
    • By soolin 6th Aug 17, 10:58 AM
    • 59,076 Posts
    • 41,869 Thanks
    soolin
    I've merged these two threads for clarity and because I think my answer on the original thread, that perhaps OP you weren't keen on ? is still relevant.

If you are drop shipping then I would lay good money it's coming from overseas and is fake- that's your biggest issue and unless you sort out what you can and can't sell legally in the UK the actual sales make very little difference.

Sort out your business status, find goods that you can hold in stock and ship quickly and most importantly do your homework . Looking at completed items on ebay should be your first action, if you are selling in a crowded market then you are obviously going to struggle.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 6th Aug 17, 11:22 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Marcon
    You've answered your own question: shipping time is too long.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 7th Aug 17, 12:05 AM
    • 8,429 Posts
    • 4,902 Thanks
    RFW
    Emperorstevee, have you thought about asking your question on the ebay board?
    Originally posted by KeithP
    Do you have shares in a popcorn company?

Anything sells, all you need to do is get the selling price right and make sure you earn a profit.
    • Flyonthewall
    • By Flyonthewall 7th Aug 17, 11:11 AM
    • 4,156 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Flyonthewall

Thanks
    Originally posted by emperorstevee
    Items/merchandise like that are generally classed as geeky rather than nerdy. So if you're stating nerdy anywhere in listings or advertising you may be less likely to reach potential buyers who are searching geek.

Lots of geeky/fan merch, especially Star Wars, can be bought elsewhere. You could probably pop down Tesco, for example, and pickup a Star Wars mug easily, therefore it may be less likely to be bought online. Same goes for Marvel. People looking for items on Star Wars may well be looking for something a little different. Even if you're selling that you need to look at the competition.

If I find a seller that is selling something that's harder to get elsewhere I'm more likely to look through their listings to see if there's anything else of interest. However, I'm not a fan of Star Wars so it annoys me when I'm looking through geeky items and it's largely just Star Wars, but it often seems to be the case.

Shipping times will be a big issue. If no one else is selling an item then I'd be willing to wait rather than not getting it at all, but otherwise I'd be more likely to go elsewhere unless others are much more expensive.

A number of geeky items that sell well will not be things you can buy in bulk or buy cheap to sell on because they were/are sold as limited edition.

"Nerdy" items covers a lot and there is bound to be many, many items that sell well, but it doesn't matter what sells well for others if you don't sort out other issues you have first (e.g. shipping).
    • soolin
    • By soolin 7th Aug 17, 3:13 PM
    • 59,076 Posts
    • 41,869 Thanks
    soolin
    Flyonthewall- OP appears to be drop shipping from overseas which I suspect makes these pirated/ fake items.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Flyonthewall
    • By Flyonthewall 7th Aug 17, 9:48 PM
    • 4,156 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Flyonthewall
    Flyonthewall- OP appears to be drop shipping from overseas which I suspect makes these pirated/ fake items.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Ah. Yeah, possible. Sure there are some drop shippers of genuine geeky items. Either way, fake geeky items are pretty easy to spot.

If they are selling fakes and they try and hide it they'll soon get bad feedback and won't be selling for long!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

538Posts Today

5,707Users online

Martin's Twitter