Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pennymakespounds
    • By pennymakespounds 15th Jul 17, 9:47 PM
    • 1,450Posts
    • 285Thanks
    pennymakespounds
    getting ads on Google ?
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:47 PM
    getting ads on Google ? 15th Jul 17 at 9:47 PM
    For a week now , when searching for anything on Google,, ( using Google Chrome) it first comes up with the sort of list of things i expect .....but within a second or two page reloads and then shows about a dozen fairly irrelevant listings ... but i notice " Ads x " click on top right .. which then reloads the page getting rid of the irrelevant ones and takes me to what i expect .

How do i stop these "Ads" ?

thanks
Page 1
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 15th Jul 17, 9:58 PM
    • 809 Posts
    • 879 Thanks
    treboeth
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:58 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:58 PM
    Get an adblock extension on Chrome, uBlock Origin or Adblock will both work for desktop.
    • pennymakespounds
    • By pennymakespounds 15th Jul 17, 10:07 PM
    • 1,450 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    pennymakespounds
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:07 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:07 PM
    Get an adblock extension on Chrome, uBlock Origin or Adblock will both work for desktop.

How / what do i do that please ?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Jul 17, 10:47 PM
    • 25,302 Posts
    • 10,046 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:47 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:47 PM
    click addons in your browser. Get ublock not adblock its better.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 15th Jul 17, 11:40 PM
    • 809 Posts
    • 879 Thanks
    treboeth
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:40 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:40 PM

How / what do i do that please ?
    Originally posted by pennymakespounds
    https://support.google.com/chrome_webstore/answer/2664769?hl=en-GB
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 15th Jul 17, 11:58 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    MrJones1
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:58 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:58 PM
    If you use Kaspersky to protect your computer, you can go to the settings and block ads.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 16th Jul 17, 11:19 AM
    • 1,949 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:19 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:19 AM
    It sounds more like adware to me from something you installed

Download adwcleaner HERE

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

Also checkout this post which tells you how to clean and optimise your laptop from such crud

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5572567#8

The reason you probably got infected is because the account you are using day to day is an Admin account, this allows the worst viruses and root kits to get hold. Just visiting some sites can infect you if you use an Admin account, also if you install some free software you have to stop it installing what we call PUP's potentially unwanted programs. The PUP can affect your search results and display ads from dodgy sites.

Bear in mind that viruses, malware and pups install programs that run all the time, some detect if you try to remove them, some also add tasks to the task scheduler to add them back again.

These kind of programs can slow down your Laptop substantially and flickering can be a sign of software trying to take screenshots and keylog (to get bank details). Of course it may be a hardware problem.

So start by creating a new Admin account and a new Standard account, then login as the Admin account and demote the account you used to use to a standard account.

You need to run three sorts of software Malware Detection which is Malwarebytes above, however, be aware that a lot of current AV apps can be bloated, yet they use the same definitions. So I use V1.75 it is way faster.

https://malwarebytes.app.box.com/s/u0b4k0fttttab6q2qqrw/

The second software is rootkit detectors, later versions of MWB have it but to be honest I prefer standalone versions including MWB's own.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows/anti-rootkit/

The third piece of software you need is an adware scanner

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

You also need a third party uninstaller that will completely remove those bad apps that slow down your computer.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/start_freeware_download.html

I can't tell you all the programs to uninstall, but you run this after you run the above programs and they have removed the worst, but you have these programs that got installed with freeware, things like toolbars, anything search, etc. Also remove any expired AV programs, you should only have one AV program running at a time and the Microsoft one is adequate with MWB used to scan manually from time to time and to scan downloaded files manually.

My advice would be to copy off your data first, then scan your data on an external disk first, after that clean your machine. However, before you clean your main system you need to terminate any programs in memory that are not windows.

So to start by pressing Window Key + R to display run, type in MSCONFIG and enter, it will ask you to enter the Admin password if you are on a standard account (this will be the password of the admin account you created earlier). Initially deselect all of them, then click Apply and OK, then reboot.

Then install the detection programs above, use each one to scan your system and select everything they identify as malware, virus, PUPS or adware and have them remove them. It will take some hours.

You may need to run them again from within your old login as well as in the new admin account.

You should find that logging into the new Standard account is faster, there will be some things you want from your old profile, bookmarks, data and downloads.

Run task scheduler in both your old account and the admin account, leave the Microsoft tasks, disable 3rd party tasks, including those called update from Google, Adobe or Apple as well as anything that looks dodgy.

Right click on Computer (My Computer, This Computer) and choose Manage, again enter Admin password.

On left, choose Services under Services and Applications.

Disable any updates from third parties, including, Adobe, Skype, Google Update Service (Gupdate and Gupdatem). You may have to stop a service first if it is running.

DO NOT disable anything from AV companies, they may perceive this as an attack, if there is anything left of AV apps look at the site of the author for a removal tool, e.g. Norton Removal tool.

You may turn some of these back on later although I prefer to run updates manually than have these things using my bandwidth and slowing down network access.

Use Revo to remove any unwanted apps, use the advanced option so that after the uninstall runs it will remove left over registry entries and extraneous files they leave behind. It is good to sort the programs by date so you can see the timeline of when apps were installed. Some will be bloatware and trial apps that came with your system.
    If you have a pernicious virus that fights back or you just want to start over, you do have the option to restore the machine to factory settings. Think CAREFULLY before you do this, it wipes all your data and settings.

Moving forward, once you have cleaned up your system make sure you do not use an Admin account for day to day work. PM me if you get stuck or need some clarification.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    Last edited by DavidP24; 16-07-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 16th Jul 17, 1:40 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 16th Jul 17, 1:40 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 1:40 PM
    Also change your search engine to DuckDuckGo, they don't sell your soul to the advertising devils, nor share your searches.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

271Posts Today

1,614Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin