Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moniage
    • By Moniage 15th Jul 17, 9:19 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Moniage
    Lloyds customer with no branch anywhere close
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:19 PM
    Lloyds customer with no branch anywhere close 15th Jul 17 at 9:19 PM
    Hi all,

I have a current account with Lloyds bank but as I live in Northern Ireland I don't have any branch I can go to. I would like to exchange my 1,2,5,10 & 10 p coins for cash - can I go to Halifax instead? Will ther accept me? Also, do you know if they give you cash or pay it into my bank account?
    Many thanks
Page 1
    • glosoli
    • By glosoli 15th Jul 17, 9:57 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    glosoli
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:57 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:57 PM
    If they did it, I would be surprised if they paid it into your bank account, if you don't hold an account with them. If you do approach a bank to put the funds in, ensure that you have everything bagged up with each bag containing £1, as they won't wish to count everything individually for you.

The Sainsbury's near me has a machine which you can just tip all of your change into, and although it charges a small commision which goes to charity, saves the need to sort and bag everything.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 15th Jul 17, 10:00 PM
    • 2,968 Posts
    • 1,949 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:00 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:00 PM
    I have a current account with Lloyds bank but as I live in Northern Ireland I don't have any branch I can go to. I would like to exchange my 1,2,5,10 & 10 p coins for cash - can I go to Halifax instead? Will ther accept me? Also, do you know if they give you cash or pay it into my bank account?
    Originally posted by Moniage
    It's not mentioned here, so I guess not.

You could open an account with Halifax, or another bank that's local to you, and pay your coins in that new account.

Opening an account with a bank that doesn't rely on Lloyds' IT might be a good idea, anyway: https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/3444989/lloyds-halifax-and-tsb-customers-anger-as-online-banking-suffers-meltdown-locking-thousands-out-of-their-accounts/.
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 15th Jul 17, 10:09 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 783 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:09 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:09 PM
    I moved and now live a long way from the nearest RBS branch, I opened a building society account locally and use that to pay cheques etc into
    • stclair
    • By stclair 16th Jul 17, 12:09 AM
    • 6,329 Posts
    • 3,372 Thanks
    stclair
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:09 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:09 AM
    Hi all,

Many thanks
    You might be able to pay it into your account if you have a reprinted paying in slip.

Alternatively again if you have a pre printed paying in slip you could pay it in at the post office.

Easiest option would be to possibly just open an account with the Halifax it can be done easily enough online.
    Last edited by stclair; 16-07-2017 at 12:12 AM.
    I Work For the RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
    • pinkdalek
    • By pinkdalek 16th Jul 17, 12:38 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    pinkdalek
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:38 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:38 PM
    Why don't you open an account with them?
    Problem solved.
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 16th Jul 17, 1:04 PM
    • 2,059 Posts
    • 1,951 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 16th Jul 17, 1:04 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 1:04 PM
    Our local Halifax have a sign up in the branch saying they don't accept large amounts of coins unless its a child's account or a charity with an arrange with them.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 16th Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    • 7,885 Posts
    • 4,697 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 16th Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    Supermarket checkouts will usually take the silver coins, but at less busy times as the cashier will have to count them.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 16th Jul 17, 2:23 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    • 16th Jul 17, 2:23 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 2:23 PM
    Supermarket checkouts will usually take the silver coins, but at less busy times as the cashier will have to count them.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    Use the self-service tills and just feed the coins into the slot. Coppers as well as the silver.
    • datlex
    • By datlex 16th Jul 17, 3:11 PM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 1,078 Thanks
    datlex
    Use the self-service tills and just feed the coins into the slot. Coppers as well as the silver.
    Originally posted by EarthBoy
    Good idea, also go at a quiet time and ask a local shop if they would be happy exchanging coins for notes. You have nothing to lose from asking.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 16th Jul 17, 6:16 PM
    • 6,588 Posts
    • 8,081 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Our local Halifax have a sign up in the branch saying they don't accept large amounts of coins unless its a child's account or a charity with an arrange with them.
    Originally posted by TheGardener
    I thought they scrapped those rules in 2009.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 16th Jul 17, 7:45 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    I find when using self-service tills, the change is often smaller than necessary : 2 x 5p instead of 10p etc. as if perhaps the bank is off-loading its change ( which others have off-loaded ) back to me.
    The fix for that, and hence the way to minimise accumulating change, is to pay partly by card :
    e.g. The bill is £10.03
    If I don't have the 3p, I'll get change of 2p, 7p, 17p, 47p, 97p etc.
    Instead pay with a £10 note, then use a contactless card for the 3p.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 16th Jul 17, 11:19 PM
    • 1,574 Posts
    • 2,327 Thanks
    Robisere
    If you have a TSB near you, why not switch your account? We take bags of saved coins regularly to our branch, paid straight into our account.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• Money_Grabber13579
    • By Money_Grabber13579 17th Jul 17, 1:22 AM
    • 2,835 Posts
    • 1,371 Thanks
    Money_Grabber13579
    No TSB in NI either, unfortunately...
    Northern Ireland club member No 382
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 17th Jul 17, 6:27 AM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 960 Thanks
    Robin9
    Moniage - just how much are you talking about ? A few £'s, tens or hundreds.?
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 17th Jul 17, 8:06 AM
    • 6,588 Posts
    • 8,081 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Hi all,

Many thanks
    You could always cut out the bank and try spending the money in shops.

Radical but saves annoying a queue of people behind you in the bank.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 18th Jul 17, 12:48 AM
    • 3,952 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    If they are correctly bagged, the post office will deposit them in your Lloyds account - you need a pay-in slip from the back of your cheque book or pay-in book from Lloyds,.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,422Posts Today

9,110Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin