Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jamels2
    • By jamels2 15th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 267Posts
    • 43Thanks
    jamels2
    Let to rent
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    Let to rent 15th Jul 17 at 8:44 PM
    I own a maisonette i let out where the tenant is settled and i dont especially want to live in it myself.

I dont really know what i want except my own place now as i live at my dads. I am considering just renting a small place and leaving my maisonette let out.

Later on when i know exactly what i want i would then sell the maisonette and buy the place i want to live.

Is this sensible? My other option would be stretch myself and buy a second property but i feel like with my budget i would be compromising on the second property. I doubt i can afford something i really like.

With renting if i dont like the place or area i an only commited for six months. Views welcome.
Page 1
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 15th Jul 17, 9:07 PM
    • 10,626 Posts
    • 14,601 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:07 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:07 PM
    Have you not made a decision yet? You've been asking more or less the same question since 2012.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4439875

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4824081

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5616836

Did you ever extend the lease or is your BTL still a depreciating asset?
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • jamels2
    • By jamels2 15th Jul 17, 9:57 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    jamels2
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:57 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:57 PM
    Hello pixie, i have now extended the lease to 150 years.
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 17th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    • 565 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    How long do you expect this situation to continue? Letting a property and renting yourself is an inefficient way to do things because

-> Paying tax on maisonette rent income but you have to pay gross rent yourself.
    -> Hassle if either property has repair issues: have to report and wait for LL to carry out repairs on your residence, and have to liaise with tenants to get a access etc for repairs on let property, rather than just deciding what's necessasry and effecting repairs when it suits you as an owner occupier.
    -> Deposit registration responsibilities and need to prove deductions on let property while potentially having to chase deposit return with your LL.

IF you plan on selling anyway, I would just sell now, and be in a position to buy with no chain when you know what you want.
    • jamels2
    • By jamels2 17th Jul 17, 7:20 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    jamels2
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:20 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:20 PM
    Hi my only concern with that is i honestly dont know where or what i want to live in. I feel if i sell now i may still end up renting first until im sure of somewhere i want to buy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,433Posts Today

9,281Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin