Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Su70
    • By Su70 15th Jul 17, 8:26 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Su70
    hours owed to me by employer
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:26 PM
    hours owed to me by employer 15th Jul 17 at 8:26 PM
    I work in a factory and got my new contract may 2016, in my contract it said i would be working 50hrs a week on nights for 8 weeks and then i would swap to days working 35.58hrs and that was my shift pattern. But this didnt happen, i have worked nights every week for a whole year. i have took up with HR about the fact that i have worked an extra 14hrs a week for 6months unpaid. This was in february and they have dragged it out. They did pay me holidays that i was entitled to working 50hrs all year and i accepted that but as i say they are dragging their feet. Any ideas out there to what i should do next?
Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 15th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    • 3,325 Posts
    • 5,498 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    I work in a factory and got my new contract may 2016, in my contract it said i would be working 50hrs a week on nights for 8 weeks and then i would swap to days working 35.58hrs and that was my shift pattern. But this didnt happen, i have worked nights every week for a whole year. i have took up with HR about the fact that i have worked an extra 14hrs a week for 6months unpaid. This was in february and they have dragged it out. They did pay me holidays that i was entitled to working 50hrs all year and i accepted that but as i say they are dragging their feet. Any ideas out there to what i should do next?
    Originally posted by Su70
    Sorry but you have done these shifts every week for a year, and it took ten months to complain? After ten months, legally, these are your hours! I am not sure what you think they must do? What do you mean by "dragging their feet"? Because right now I don't see that they have to do anything.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 15th Jul 17, 10:52 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:52 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:52 PM
    i have worked an extra 14hrs a week for 6months unpaid. . . . They did pay me holidays that i was entitled to working 50hrs all year and i accepted that
    So did they pay you for holidays instead of hours ; or is something else still missing ?
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 16th Jul 17, 1:32 AM
    • 37,484 Posts
    • 33,793 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 16th Jul 17, 1:32 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 1:32 AM
    If they are paying you for 35.8 hours pw instead of for 50 hours pw, does that take you below NMW?

You mention a shift pattern: was the expectation that you would work 50 hours some weeks and 35.8 hours in others? And if that's correct, are you supposed to be on an hourly rate, and paid different amounts depending on the number of hours you have worked? Or are you salaried, with payment NOT varying through the year?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

807Posts Today

6,888Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin