Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chocolatepennyfarthing
    • By chocolatepennyfarthing 15th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    • 1,059Posts
    • 450Thanks
    chocolatepennyfarthing
    Amazon Echo- how do you use yours/advice
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    Amazon Echo- how do you use yours/advice 15th Jul 17 at 8:14 PM
    Just bought an Amazon Echo on Prime day. Have used it for Prime music, weather/news etc. Just wondering if you have one what you use yours for and any ideas/hints/tips for it.
    Jan Grocery challenge
    Budget £350 - Spent £64.45 to date
Page 1
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 15th Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 2,786 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    Those I've spoken to use them as paperweights/door stops after the novelty's worn off
    • Peter999
    • By Peter999 15th Jul 17, 8:24 PM
    • 469 Posts
    • 491 Thanks
    Peter999
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:24 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:24 PM
    I use mine to switch on/off lights (Philips Hue), switch on/off lamps (belkin wemo power sockets). Controls the TV (logitech harmony remote).

I also use Plex media centre on a Nvidia Shield TV which works with Alexa. You just say "ask plex to play movie pretty in pink" and it starts playing or "ask plex to play riviera season 1 episode 7" etc.

It is a bit of an expensive toy but it is fun.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 15th Jul 17, 9:12 PM
    • 4,675 Posts
    • 3,815 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:12 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:12 PM
    I just got a Dot on Prime Day (at £35 it was worth a gamble) so I'm still experimenting with it. So far I have been impressed with the speech recognition and the quality of sound coming out of such a small speaker. Works well as an internet radio with TuneIn and RadioPlayer.

It runs well when connected to a USB battery pack which makes it easier to move around the house.

I've had limited success connecting it to a separate Bluetooth speaker. For some reason it keeps dropping the connection but it works fine as a BT speaker for my phone.

Some of the applets on IFTTT (especially the Google Docs ones) are quite clever: https://ifttt.com/amazon_alexa

I'm more into the Google ecosystem myself so maybe Google Home will be the long term best fit for me but at present Alexa does have a better 3rd party app support and is cheap enough to experiment with the possibilities of voice control.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 15th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    • 11,431 Posts
    • 6,391 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    I use mine to switch on/off lights (Philips Hue), switch on/off lamps (belkin wemo power sockets).
    Originally posted by Peter999
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-1-gang-2-way-10ax-light-switch-white/11822
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

201Posts Today

1,317Users online

Martin's Twitter