Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • killergibbo
    • By killergibbo 15th Jul 17, 7:06 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 11Thanks
    killergibbo
    redesigning a product
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:06 PM
    redesigning a product 15th Jul 17 at 7:06 PM
    hi

iv found after buying a product that was very very hard to get hold of that there is alot of interest from everyone that sees it.
    not giving too much detail about it but its a chair for kids.

what i have found is the person that first made it still owns the brand etc but has been lagging behind for the last 2-3 years with making the product and selling it. people are screaming out for this product but nothing is coming.

everyone that has seen it wants it for their kids to use.

am very interested in filling this gap that this person isn't filling but am not looking to copy the design but the idea.

i have no idea about the laws etc about this sort of thing hence the reason am here asking.

can i copy the idea and design my own that is different looking to theirs and go from there?

this idea is not so much the chair but what the chair enables you to do

thanks
Page 1
    • debbieme
    • By debbieme 15th Jul 17, 7:36 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    debbieme
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:36 PM
    try this
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:36 PM
    Hi My husband designed a product and he has a registered design and patent, on it so no one can copy it. I would first of all see has the person that is selling it got a registered design.

You can sell it under a different brand name if there is no IP on the product, but if it was me I think i would approach the guy that first made it and give him a small royalty for doing your own, this way there is no bad feelings if he or she discovers the same product been sold under a different name.

I do see you want to make changes on how it works , again be careful in that the way you want to make it work could be already patent in a previous work , hence some patent attorney contacts you for money for their client who already patent how your product works.

a registered design covers how a product works , it last 25 years
    a patent covers how it works and last 20 years.

a design can be altered and not be covered but how something works is more difficult.

look up patents under what you think may cover what you want it to do, google now shows a lot of patents .

hope this helps Debbie xx
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 15th Jul 17, 7:57 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MrJones1
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:57 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:57 PM
    First of all you should look if the product has a registered design and patent. However the best option would be for you to co-operate with the brand owner. He already has a brand name and knows the manufacturers. So he can probably get a good unit price. If the brand is strong you will not need to do a lot of marketing, which a new brand name will require. The positive thing for you is that the brand doesn't seem to be his main priority. You have noted that he has been lagging behind for several years with making and selling the product. Taking this into consideration, you have a good chance of getting a good deal.
    • killergibbo
    • By killergibbo 15th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    killergibbo
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    Thanks for the replys

The person is based in the USA and I have searched on registered-design.service.gov. And it's showing nothing as being registered. Am going to spend the next few days doing a lot more reading into this and hopefully I can get somewhere

Thanks
    • debbieme
    • By debbieme 15th Jul 17, 10:35 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    debbieme
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:35 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:35 PM
    Hi You need to check the patent register also. He may have not registered the design but how it works or someone else may have.

a professional patent search is costs around £500- £1000 I think and these guys can help you https://www.innovate-design.co.uk/.

hope all goes well

Debbie
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 16th Jul 17, 12:17 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MrJones1
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:17 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:17 AM
    If you decide to make a new brand for the product and need professional branded packages, the guys at AdKingo can help you http://www.adkingo.com/2017/05/branded-packages.html
    • killergibbo
    • By killergibbo 17th Jul 17, 1:23 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    killergibbo
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:23 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:23 AM
    Thanks for the info

I have found their is a patent for it and that it is due to expire in 2020.
    Maybe I should sit tight get some designs drawn up and wait till the patent expires and have the product ready to go the day it expires..along wait but it will be worth it
    • killergibbo
    • By killergibbo 17th Jul 17, 1:24 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    killergibbo
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:24 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:24 AM
    I used this site to find the patent worldwide.espacenet.com/advancedSearch?locale=en_EP
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 17th Jul 17, 7:50 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MrJones1
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:50 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:50 PM
    To just wait and do nothing is not the best option. One risk is that the popularity for the product/design decreases. Then you have waited in vain. The second risk is that you wait until 2020 and then the very same year, the patent renews. Have you tried to get in touch with the producer and see if you can strike a deal?
    • simplydevine05
    • By simplydevine05 19th Jul 17, 9:28 AM
    • 204 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    simplydevine05
    I would treat very carefully here. The seller is USA based, a country notorious for lawsuits. If I was that seller I would be extremely cross if you did what you are planning. You are best off contacting them, not going behind their back. They may not be aware of the demand for the product in the UK.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

386Posts Today

5,019Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin