Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hasilein
    • By Hasilein 15th Jul 17, 6:49 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Hasilein
    Car Insurance - no claims discount for named driver...
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:49 PM
    Car Insurance - no claims discount for named driver... 15th Jul 17 at 6:49 PM
    Hello, just wanting some advise as all this seems quite complicated.

I have got a company lease car (Kia Cee'd) but the lease is ending and as I'm no longer entitled to a lease car I will be buying this car in the next two weeks. The company's insurance policy for the lease car could have provided some sort of proof of no-claims from the past 5 years, but unfortunately yesterday(!) I managed to smash the back window of the car and that had to be reported to the lease car company and get fixed.

My partner and I also own a van (VW T5), that he drives 95% of the time. For a reason that we no longer remember or understand I'm the policy holder on that insurance, whilst he's on it as the main driver. So we've now learnt that as the policy holder the 9+ years no claims discount is mine, where as he won't have any if he were to insure any vehicle in his name. I know some insurance companies would allow him to use the no claims bonus if he took a new insurance in his name with them, but unfortunately this one is with Nationwide, who no longer provide new car insurances so we can only continue with it as it is (very expensive renewal) or change provider. Hence he now has 0 years of no claim bonus as far as I can see.

I really don't know what's the best way of insuring the two cars? So I need an insurance for the (lease) car in the next 2 weeks and the van is due for renewal end of next week.

Firstly - can I still say that I've got the NCD of the van despite the incident with the lease car this week?
    So should we transfer the van's insurance to a new provider with its NCD and me as policy holder and my partner as main driver. And in order for him to start accumulating some NCD put him down as the policy holder on the new car and I'd be still it's main driver. I assume the van's insurance is significantly higher, even it generally does less than half of the mileage the KIA.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated....
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Jul 17, 10:33 PM
    • 25,300 Posts
    • 10,044 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:33 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:33 PM
    What is the Van used for? My mate transferred his cars no claims to a van and could not transfer it back to a car policy afterwards.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Hasilein
    • By Hasilein 16th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hasilein
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    Thanks, the van is only used for leisure and commuting.
    Just to clarify the question - is there anyway you could think that we could insure both cars with a NCD?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th Jul 17, 11:06 AM
    • 32,109 Posts
    • 16,203 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:06 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:06 AM
    You are going to have a problem finding an insurer to accept NCD earned on a van for a car policy..

If that's the case try a local broker (not Swinton) to see if they can help.

You do need to disclose the incident with the van when applying for any insurance for a policy in your name or where you will be a named driver

You cannot normally use NCD earned on just one vehicle to insure 2 .
    Last edited by Quentin; 16-07-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

907Posts Today

7,828Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin