Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mae85
    • By Mae85 15th Jul 17, 6:47 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mae85
    Can me and my partner claim IB and CB ESA?
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:47 PM
    Can me and my partner claim IB and CB ESA? 15th Jul 17 at 6:47 PM
    Hi all, I am new to this but I often come to this website for advice so I figured I should join!

So basically I have been on income based ESA WRAG for about 8+ years now. I receive £204 a fortnight.
    I've been in a relationship with a guy for almost 2 years now, when we met he was working but since then he had to leave his job due to very ill health. He now claims contribution based ESA and gets £73.10 a week.
    He has been homeless for 18 months and living with his sister but he's on the housing register and has been offered a place which we have decided we would like to move in together. So now I know we will have to make a claim as a couple for ESA when we do eventually live together.

What I want to know is how much difference will the money be for us as a couple? And I have also read that even though we will be claiming IB ESA as a couple he is still entitled to his CB ESA also- is this right?

Also which one of us should apply for housing benefit? I am guessing him been as it will be his flat?
    Any help would be grateful!
    Mae
Page 1
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 15th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    • 12,043 Posts
    • 17,824 Thanks
    nannytone
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    it would be a joint ESA claim.
    he would claim contributions based, and would get an income related top up for you.

how much you would get would depend on circumstances.
    any savings?
    claiming DLA/PIP?
    pensions?

if he is the tenant, then he would need to claim the housing benefit
    • Mae85
    • By Mae85 15th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mae85
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    No we don't claim anything else. He has a pension with his old work but I don't know what has happened to that, I guess the DWP are still paying into it for him?
    • epitome
    • By epitome 15th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,621 Thanks
    epitome
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    If you move in together you would BOTH KEEP your ESA claims OPEN. No one has to close their ESA claim and Neither one of you should close their ESA claim.

You already have ESA IR so your claim, will naturally be the one for "both of you".
    His claim will remain open as ESA C = £73.10 per week
    Your claim will be
    = £70.80

If he is receiving an income from his works pension, then all of it (averaged out to a weekly amount) will be taken out of your £70.80 per week
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 15th Jul 17, 7:06 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 1,318 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:06 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:06 PM
    The couple rate for ESA is £115pw, plus £29pw when in the WRAG.
    His CB ESA will continue to be paid (but if in the WRAG it is limited to 365 days).
    However the IB ESA will be reduced by this CB payment.

You could try one of the benefit calculators - http://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/entitlementcalculator.aspx
    • Mae85
    • By Mae85 15th Jul 17, 7:10 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mae85
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:10 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:10 PM
    So we would have less money then what we have now? It's all so confusing I just don't know where to start! He doesn't get any payments or anything from his old work or his pension, he just gets the ESA he is on now.
    So you're saying that my esa would go from £102 a week to £70 a week because of his CB claim?
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 15th Jul 17, 7:17 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 1,318 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:17 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:17 PM
    Yes.

Have you considered if you (or him) may have an eligibility for PIP?
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-self-test
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/before-claiming/check-you-are-eligible/
    • Mae85
    • By Mae85 15th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mae85
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    We did get the forms for it but didn't send it off as my sister is severely ill to the point she can't get out of bed some days she's that ill and they told her she wasn't eligible so we thought we wouldn't stand a chance been as both of our reasons for being unable to work is mental health related. And we all know the stigma attached to that! May be worth a try though! I've just never known if there is any other benefit I could claim.
    • Mae85
    • By Mae85 15th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mae85
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    So can I just ask... with my £70 a week I would get added with his £73 a week he would get does that mean we would joint get £283 a fortnight ?
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 15th Jul 17, 7:43 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 1,318 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    Yes. c.£143 each week jointly.

Re PIP: Get some help with the forms from your local CAB / advice centre.

Mental health is covered, but sometimes the awards on the basis of MH can be inconsistent.
    At my local CAB, we regularly achieve successful appeals for clients who started with 0 points.
    Do you suffer from Depression? Would you need "prompting" i.e encouragement to do some of the activities reliably?
    Have a careful look at the activities / descriptors to see which applies.
    You may need help with social engagement and managing a household budget, for instance.
    You need 8 points for a Daily Living award.

It might be worth a go, as there is little to lose.
    Have a chat with your local CAB or MIND perhaps.

https://rethink.org/living-with-mental-illness/money-issues-benefits-employment/personal-independence-payment
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 15-07-2017 at 7:48 PM.
    • Mae85
    • By Mae85 15th Jul 17, 7:45 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mae85
    Thank you for your help! Yes we both suffer with depression. I'm not on any meds as always refused but my partner is on lots of meds for his MH. Plus he has respiratory problems too which is one of the reasons he had to quit his job (he's a welder) he suffers terrible with MH and his physical health. I suffer with crippling anxiety too so I don't go out at all unless I am with someone.
    I will visit my CAB for advice!
    • epitome
    • By epitome 15th Jul 17, 7:47 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,621 Thanks
    epitome
    So can I just ask... with my £70 a week I would get added with his £73 a week he would get does that mean we would joint get £283 a fortnight ?
    Originally posted by Mae85
    Approximately £287 a fortnight
    • Mae85
    • By Mae85 15th Jul 17, 7:52 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mae85
    Thank you!
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 15th Jul 17, 8:08 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 1,318 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    In which case he should have a reasonable chance of an award.

If he takes twice as long to do activities such as dressing etc (due to breathlessness), then he should score points for that as he can't do them in a reasonable time period.

With anxiety the following activities might apply:

Taking nutrition (because anxiety might cause you not to eat to an acceptable standard without prompting). 2d. Needs prompting to be able to take nutrition. 4 points.

Engaging face to face. 9c. Needs social support to be able to engage with other people. 4 points.

Managing Budget decisions. 10b. Needs prompting or assistance to be able to make complex budgeting decisions. 2 points.

Anxiety wouldn't get a mobility award (since the government changed the descriptors to exclude psychological distress on the 8 point + ones).

Be prepared for an appeal (some 65% succeed), again the CAB can help if you do need to appeal.

The B&W site has an excellent guide on completing the form (and appeals), but membership is c.£19 a year.
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-claims

The CAB site has some helpful info:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-pip-claim/fill-in-form/

Best wishes.
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 15-07-2017 at 8:11 PM.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 15th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    • 6,108 Posts
    • 4,646 Thanks
    ohreally
    May the respiratory problems be attributed to his employment?
    • Mae85
    • By Mae85 15th Jul 17, 8:15 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mae85
    Thank you ��
    • Mae85
    • By Mae85 15th Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mae85
    Yes. He was born with asthma but it went as an older child. He was fine all through his young adulthood and late 20s then he got this job and the trouble started. It's all the furnaces and chemicals in the factory as it wasn't just welding it's call kinds of work. He's in a terrible condition now! He thinks his cause of death will be respiratory related!
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 15th Jul 17, 8:20 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 1,318 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    May the respiratory problems be attributed to his employment?
    Originally posted by ohreally
    Good point.

If so then Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit might apply.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Industrial-Injuries-Disablement-Benefit/What-is-Industrial-Injuries-Disablement-Benefit

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/benefits-for-people-who-are-sick-or-disabled/#h-benefits-for-accidents-at-work-and-industrial-diseases
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 15th Jul 17, 8:26 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 1,318 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    then he got this job and the trouble started. It's all the furnaces and chemicals in the factory as it wasn't just welding it's all kinds of work. He's in a terrible condition now!!
    Originally posted by Mae85
    When you both go to the CAB have a chat about IIDB.

Again there is nothing to be lost in trying to claim to see if this is applicable. They can only say no and you are no worse off. If they say yes then it may be an income for life (without the assessments entailed with ESA).

"Only industrial diseases qualify, for example, diseases caused by chemicals you've worked with or hearing loss caused by your work. You can get a list of the diseases from your local benefits office."
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 15-07-2017 at 8:30 PM.
    • Mae85
    • By Mae85 15th Jul 17, 8:30 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mae85
    I will do! Thanks!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

907Posts Today

7,828Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin