Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Possom
    • By Possom 15th Jul 17, 6:18 PM
    • 394Posts
    • 14Thanks
    Possom
    Which grout colour with white gloss wall tiles?
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:18 PM
    Which grout colour with white gloss wall tiles? 15th Jul 17 at 6:18 PM
    I am to have some white gloss wall tiles installed. I had assumed it would be best to use white grout with these.

I happened to see a tv show recently in which someone mentioned that their wall tiles had been installed with a slightly darker grout and that this means it will be easier to maintain the clean look of the grout.

So, with this in mind, do you think I should use white grout with these tiles or something darker? Any colour suggestions would be interesting.

Thanks!
Page 1
    • casper_g
    • By casper_g 15th Jul 17, 6:48 PM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 902 Thanks
    casper_g
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:48 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:48 PM
    White will show up any unevenness on the joint widths less. But something like dark grey could look very striking and last a good while longer before it looks grubby. I'd only go with grey if I was very sure the tiler was good at planning to get nice placement of the joints.

I think the most important question is whether you like the look of gloss white tiles with contrasting grout though!
    • missprice
    • By missprice 15th Jul 17, 6:58 PM
    • 3,229 Posts
    • 93,691 Thanks
    missprice
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:58 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:58 PM
    Personally I dont like white tiles/dark grout
    See https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=white+tiles+dark+grout&prmd=isvn&source=l nms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZ946J7ovVAhVnBMAKHda uBkYQ_AUICSgB&biw=1138&bih=712&dpr=1.13

But any other colour tile looks lovely with dark grout.
    I have dark muddy green tiles on bathroom floor with dark grey grout. Looks lovely.

But it's a personal choice eh

Eta can't find good pic
    Last edited by missprice; 15-07-2017 at 7:08 PM.
    84 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
    • ic
    • By ic 15th Jul 17, 7:51 PM
    • 2,505 Posts
    • 1,286 Thanks
    ic
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:51 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:51 PM
    I had white gloss metro tiles with manhattan grey grout, with a flat stainless steel edging. Looks great - the wall above is painted white, and its above a black gloss marble top.

In my bathroom I have large grey marble effect tiles with white grout and white rounded plastic edging. The floor is black gloss marble tiles with anthracite (i.e. dark grey) grout. Again it all looks stunning.

I feel white tiles with white grout looks basic and cheap - but then I don't know if you've got just basic square tiles or something more fancy. Pairing the grout right can really make a feature of a cheaper tile (my kitchen and bathroom tiles were cheap).

You haven't said where you are installing the tiles, and what the rest of the room looks like?
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • Possom
    • By Possom 15th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Possom
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    I had white gloss metro tiles with manhattan grey grout,
    Originally posted by ic
    Yes, it's also metro tiles I'd be having installed using a "T" spacer to allow a brick formation.

As casper_g infers grey is more likely to show up any unevenness on the joint widths. Perhaps there's also more chance of unevenness occurring when using a "T" spacer.
    • Polly05
    • By Polly05 15th Jul 17, 9:12 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Polly05
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:12 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:12 PM
    White tiles with grey grout is in fashion just now, but I don't like it.. I reminds me of old fashioned public toilets..
    Google photos and see what you like...
    • elf06
    • By elf06 15th Jul 17, 9:38 PM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 15,129 Thanks
    elf06
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:38 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:38 PM
    My boyfriend has just tiled his kitchen himself. He's used white gloss tiles and black grout and it looks great! Its his kitchen though - not sure how it would looks elsewhere in the home.....
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
    • lauraland
    • By lauraland 15th Jul 17, 9:47 PM
    • 1,642 Posts
    • 18,901 Thanks
    lauraland
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:47 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:47 PM
    I used grout from topps tiles, in a shade called gunmetal - a pale, mid-grey. It looks lovely with my white metro tiles.
    I got ham but i'm not a hamster.....
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 16th Jul 17, 3:39 AM
    • 23,892 Posts
    • 66,415 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 16th Jul 17, 3:39 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 3:39 AM
    We use both gunmetal and manhattan with white tiles quite often.

It really doesn't have to be a dark colour, just something that almost appears to create a shadow.

Agree that you need a good tiler.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 16th Jul 17, 11:57 AM
    • 3,430 Posts
    • 7,564 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I did white "metro" style tiles with black grout when I tiled my kitchen last year. Though some people I told beforehand were dubious, the finished job looks excellent (in my opinion, anyway).
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 16th Jul 17, 3:00 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 1,739 Thanks
    rach_k
    I probably wouldn't do it floor to ceiling as I think it would be too much but I'm very happy with our white brick-size gloss tiles with mid grey grout, but the kitchen units are grey so there's a reason for it being grey. The tiles are only from worktop to wall units, plus a bit more behind the cooker - no full walls of it! I only wish I'd thought to ask for grey silicone too... first time cooking in the new kitchen, OH stained it with turmeric! The grout was fine though.
    • adandem
    • By adandem 16th Jul 17, 6:29 PM
    • 3,419 Posts
    • 4,644 Thanks
    adandem
    We've just tiles with rustic style metro tiles. White tiles with white grout and I love them.
    Our previous tiles were a limestone effect and we used a stone coloured grout. I hated it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

976Posts Today

6,863Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Today's Twitter poll: If you had to pick one, who do you think is coming out best so far in the Brexit negotiations, UK or EU?

• It isn't an article by me.I don't write for express. They just cunningly report my tv appearances as if I did. https://t.co/0DDfDU7Kbp

• Follow Martin