Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dullville
    • By Dullville 15th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    • 97Posts
    • 91Thanks
    Dullville
    ESA, permitted work and WTC
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    ESA, permitted work and WTC 15th Jul 17 at 6:06 PM
    Is it possible to receive WTC whilst on ESA if your receiving pay for permitted work?
Page 1
    • missbunbury
    • By missbunbury 15th Jul 17, 6:14 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    missbunbury
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:14 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:14 PM
    If it's income related ESA then WTC would affect the amount you'd get, plus you normally have to work at least sixteen hours a week for WTC and that's outside the usual permitted work for ESA...
    • epitome
    • By epitome 15th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,620 Thanks
    epitome
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    It follows therefore that you would only be interested in WTC if you had ESA Conts or an amount of ESA Conts within your ESA IR.

As I understand it WTC usually requires 30 hours(?) of work a week before it can be claimed, but you can reduce that to 16 hours of work under certain exceptions.

As above they are correct that 16 hours of paid work on ESA would normally result in the ESA being closed. (permitted work is normally under 16 hours). I believe that Supported Permitted work on ESA can be full time 37 hours a week, but you are not going to get Supported Permitted work in normal claimant circumstances.

There is also voluntary work, you can do voluntary unpaid work on ESA full time if you want to. Or permitted work under 15 hours and another 15 hours of voluntary work. This I believe would then qualify you for 30 hours of work to get WTC. Which would then not affect an ESA C claim.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 16th Jul 17, 6:00 AM
    • 4,324 Posts
    • 2,731 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:00 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:00 AM
    It follows therefore that you would only be interested in WTC if you had ESA Conts or an amount of ESA Conts within your ESA IR.

As I understand it WTC usually requires 30 hours(?) of work a week before it can be claimed, but you can reduce that to 16 hours of work under certain exceptions.

As above they are correct that 16 hours of paid work on ESA would normally result in the ESA being closed. (permitted work is normally under 16 hours). I believe that Supported Permitted work on ESA can be full time 37 hours a week, but you are not going to get Supported Permitted work in normal claimant circumstances.

There is also voluntary work, you can do voluntary unpaid work on ESA full time if you want to. Or permitted work under 15 hours and another 15 hours of voluntary work. This I believe would then qualify you for 30 hours of work to get WTC. Which would then not affect an ESA C claim.
    Originally posted by epitome
    Voluntary work is normally unpaid and not considered remunerative employment so wouldn't qualify for WTC.
    • Dullville
    • By Dullville 16th Jul 17, 8:16 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    Dullville
    • 16th Jul 17, 8:16 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 8:16 PM

Originally posted by epitome
    What is the min hours reqd for WTC if on the highest rate of care(PIP)
    If the person involved was to take the part time position (16 hours per week) surely it's in her interests to close ESA claim down and claim WTC?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 16th Jul 17, 10:59 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 865 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:59 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:59 PM
    What is the min hours reqd for WTC if on the highest rate of care(PIP)
    If the person involved was to take the part time position (16 hours per week) surely it's in her interests to close ESA claim down and claim WTC?
    Originally posted by Dullville
    It's 16 hours minimum. Can't comment on the other question as no idea on the OP circumstances, but surely that's for them to decide and no one else....
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 17th Jul 17, 4:29 PM
    • 12,041 Posts
    • 17,823 Thanks
    nannytone
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:29 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:29 PM
    for ESA permitted work, the claimant has to work LESS than 16 hours. for WTC its 16 hours or more.

there can be no overlap, its less than 16 hours or 16 hours or more
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,759Posts Today

8,144Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin