Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 15th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    • 1,808Posts
    • 56,334Thanks
    hdh74
    Harder to win, harder to get your mitts on
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    Harder to win, harder to get your mitts on 15th Jul 17 at 5:58 PM
    Anyone else noticed that not only are wins harder to get, but it's becoming more common to have to chase up prizes, and/or wait ages for them. I always give it the 28 days before starting to chase, unless I have been specifically told to expect it sooner, but I'm finding more and more that when I do win they don't arrive for weeks and often after a lot of nagging.

Maybe there's so many entrants that companies are overwhelmed. Or maybe it's so easy to pull in thousands of us that a lot of them just aren't bothered about peeing a few of us off now. ??? Or maybe I've just been unlucky...
Page 1
    • janE1956
    • By janE1956 15th Jul 17, 7:13 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 7,288 Thanks
    janE1956
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:13 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:13 PM
    yes waiting for some shoes which may be a voucher but not 28days but 28 working days whiich makes it nearly 6 weeks
    • ChamomileTao
    • By ChamomileTao 16th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    ChamomileTao
    • 16th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    It's been like this for a long time, every time I win now my first thought is ohhh I hope I don't have to chase this one, then I carefully salt away all the 'evidence' of the win just in case I need to supply it to the ASA . A lot of the time things do arrive fairly quickly but it's the others that stick in your mind.

I've had the impression more than once recently that they had no real expectation of actually having to deliver the prize.

And then you get the ones who take it as a personal affront when you do chase...
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 16th Jul 17, 10:03 AM
    • 38,673 Posts
    • 6,108,689 Thanks
    One-Eye
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:03 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:03 AM
    A recent experience showed me it can be down to the individual with whom you are dealing.

I was chasing a prize by email with a named contact. I always got a polite reply promising action but nothing was ever done. Ten weeks after notification of winning, I finally got an "out of office" reply as the person was on holiday, and it named another contact for urgent business. I emailed this second person who apologised and promised delivery in 1 week. The prize arrived just 3 days after the email.
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 16th Jul 17, 10:36 AM
    • 1,808 Posts
    • 56,334 Thanks
    hdh74
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:36 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:36 AM
    I do actually wonder if the whole relationship between companies and compers isn't breaking down in some cases. We've all seen the ridiculous begging entries and obvious lies to try and win. In a group the other day I saw someone moaning the company hadn't coughed up the prize yet and was being rude and when she shared the evidence, the prize was less than a week old and she had asked about it quite forcibly 3 times - by the third time the company was slightly curt but in no way rude but she was highly affronted. And I know many bloggers who say they give out prizes and never get so much as told it has been received, let alone thanked for it.

I've seen 'new' compers banging on about every little thing as though they expect every prize, right now, with a gold ribbon on top, and saying thanks wouldn't even enter their head, though they gushed like champagne fountains to try and get it. I can see how it would get tired for promoters.

But I've also seen companies get very cynical in the way they treat compers, and of course seen loads of scam pages set up on social media for so-called comps.

Sad.
    • Zanzib
    • By Zanzib 16th Jul 17, 5:55 PM
    • 3,886 Posts
    • 55,884 Thanks
    Zanzib
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:55 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:55 PM
    Seems six of one and half dozen of the other.

Companies see competitions as a cheap way of getting mass exposure, and lots of people on social media who enter for everything having unrealistic expectations.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 16th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 34,827 Posts
    • 225,517 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 16th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    Only contacted the ASA once about a prize and that was about 4 years and over 400 wins ago, but I tend allow plenty of time before chasing up (6 to 8 weeks unless it specifies a shorter period to contact them) and usually stick to competitions from companies rather than individuals.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,681Posts Today

8,513Users online

Martin's Twitter