Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Clairabella
    • By Clairabella 15th Jul 17, 4:35 PM
    • 154Posts
    • 52Thanks
    Clairabella
    Bathroom latch problem
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:35 PM
    Bathroom latch problem 15th Jul 17 at 4:35 PM
    Once again guys, I need some help

Hopefully there is a locksmith or someone who knows about the inside gubbins of latches. I bought a new latch, managed to dig out the hole in the door for it but then discovered that the catch was facing the wrong way. A quick google showed that it was simple to open up the latch and twist it round. Right, hmm, not so simple after all. A spring bit has pinged off and I cannot work out where it should be replaced. I can't even see what it's for but I'm afraid that if I leave it out I might end up like the 'old lady locked in the lavatory'! Is there any kind soul who can advise please?

Page 1
    • keith969
    • By keith969 15th Jul 17, 5:08 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    keith969
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:08 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:08 PM
    I'd hazard a guess that the circular portion of the spring goes on one of the lugs in the base, but which one, and what the ends rest against, is hard to tell. Is there another lug or similar on the upper part of the case that you've removed? The fact that it 'pinged' when you took the case apart indicates the spring was under tension, which might give a clue. If you put the handle/lock spindles in and turn them, do they return as expected?
    Heaven wasn't built in a day
    • Clairabella
    • By Clairabella 15th Jul 17, 5:19 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Clairabella
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:19 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:19 PM
    No, there are no lugs in the upper part of the case. I've tried putting the spring on the other lugs but I can't seem to make sense of what it is for.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 15th Jul 17, 5:28 PM
    • 4,416 Posts
    • 4,653 Thanks
    societys child
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:28 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:28 PM
    Looks like the spring should hold the the lock-bolt in the locked or unlocked position as necessary, otherwise it looks like the bolt would be free to slide about. For example when the door was pulled shut, is it possible the bolt could be free to slide and lock you out. If you were inside, not a problem as you could unlock it from inside.

I'd need to be "hands on " to work it out.

Edit: could it be that the spring should be fitted so it presses against the part that turns when locking/ unlocking? (to cause friction)

Another edit: In the first pic the cam was in the wrong position. So with the cam in the correct position in the second pic, can you fit the spring so it presses against the cam somehow? This would give a positive lock/ unlock action.
    Last edited by societys child; 15-07-2017 at 5:49 PM.

• Clairabella
    • By Clairabella 15th Jul 17, 5:34 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Clairabella
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:34 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:34 PM
    Thanks. I've been fiddling for hours but getting nowhere. Now I know what its for I might, just might, manage to fix it. Give me another few hours.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 15th Jul 17, 5:53 PM
    • 4,416 Posts
    • 4,653 Thanks
    societys child
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:53 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:53 PM
    Remember, it will need to be fitted "under tension". Mind your fingers . . .

• societys child
    • By societys child 15th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    • 4,416 Posts
    • 4,653 Thanks
    societys child
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    I edited my post again after you'd posted, did you see the edit? I'll post it again:

"In the first pic the cam was in the wrong position. So with the cam in the correct position in the second pic, can you fit the spring so it presses against the cam somehow? This would give a positive lock/ unlock action."

• Clairabella
    • By Clairabella 15th Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Clairabella
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    No, I hadn't seen your edit but now I know what you mean about 'mind your fingers' Good job I'm wearing specs too, it keeps pinging off. I think I'm getting nearer, I just can't hold it in position and get the case back together. It wasn't like this on YouTube
    • Clairabella
    • By Clairabella 15th Jul 17, 6:32 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Clairabella
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:32 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:32 PM
    SUCCESS!!

Thank you both so much for your help. Where would I be without this forum?
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 15th Jul 17, 6:34 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    Just too late.
    Answer at the end . . .

There are two independent mechanisms :
    1) A standard door handle latch, which is the wedge-shaped bolt ; bottom of upper picture, lower right of bottom picture
    2) A bathroom-specifc locking latch, which is the square-shaped slotted bolt ; top of upper picture, top left of bottom picture.

It looks as though the mechanism is mounted face-on to the door, rather than recessed ; so failing everything else, a screwdriver could be used to remove it. Leave one obviously in the bathroom as an emergency.

(1) is operated by a big handle on either side.
    (2) is operated by a big handle on the inside ; but there might be some small pin on the outside, for emergencies, which can be turned by a coin.

(1) has 2 coil springs : one ( in the corner ) to put the handle back into its rest position, and one to push the wedge bolt into place. That means the spring belongs to the other mechanism.

For (2), as societys child says, something needs to stop the bolt moving freely. Apart from anything else, it could slide across as the door is slammed shut, damaging something. Ideally it should force the handle / bolt to either the open or shut position.

The Answer =

From the bottom picture, turn the spring over, slide it onto the spike in the middle of the slotted square bolt, then imagining its two ( unequal length ) arms to be the hands of a clock, set it to about 10 past 12. The short end presses against the slotted retainer of the "normal" mechanism, while the long end presses against the "nose" of the "bathroom" square key. The "bathroom" latch should then try to stay at either end, not in the middle.

Good luck Jim.
    Last edited by Geoff1963; 15-07-2017 at 6:36 PM. Reason: Too late
    • Clairabella
    • By Clairabella 15th Jul 17, 7:17 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Clairabella
    Thanks Geoff1963. Now I'm not sure if I did actually place it as you describe. It does seem to work in that the lock is now sort of springy to move in and out and doesn't just fall out. The question is, do I risk taking it apart to check or do I leave as is and hope it's correct.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 15th Jul 17, 7:47 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    It should be that as you move the locking handle round ( from locked to unlocked, or vice versa ), it gets gradually easier to about half way, then tries to pull itself all the way to the other end. If it's doing that, then it's probably OK.
    Imagine the internal locking handle is connected to an upside-down pendulum.

If you do take it apart, get another photo.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 15th Jul 17, 7:57 PM
    • 4,416 Posts
    • 4,653 Thanks
    societys child
    SUCCESS!!
    Yeah . . .

It wasn't like this on YouTube
    Nothing ever is.

• Clairabella
    • By Clairabella 15th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Clairabella

If you do take it apart, get another photo.
    Originally posted by Geoff1963
    Aargh - saw this too late but I'm pretty sure now that I've got it back correctly. The only trouble is, it was all greasy inside and, with so much fiddling, the grease is now all over me and it is dry inside. Ah well, I guess it will work till it seizes up. I'm loath to take it apart again, I needed about four pair of hands to hold all the springs in position.

Thanks again guys for your help.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 15th Jul 17, 8:31 PM
    • 4,416 Posts
    • 4,653 Thanks
    societys child
    I'm sure it will be fine for years . . . and years.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

99Posts Today

1,650Users online

Martin's Twitter