Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cxkev
    • By cxkev 15th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    cxkev
    Surface Pro 4 has developed a fault
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    Surface Pro 4 has developed a fault 15th Jul 17 at 4:25 PM
    Hi,

I purchased a Surface Pro 4 just over a year ago. I think it is 1 or 2 months out of warranty.

It has just developed a screen fault, the screen flickers and I have a ghost image of all the other screens I've been on imprinted onto the screen.

Although out of warranty, given the price paid for it, I do not believe 1 year and 1 month is a "reasonable amount of time" as quoted in the Consumer Rights Act.

I have contacted PC world (the retailer) and made them aware.

I'm just wondering if any users have either experienced anything similar with PC world, are they likely to accept and offer a replacement / repair? If not, is there anywhere I can go to dispute?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Page 1
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 15th Jul 17, 5:07 PM
    • 18,640 Posts
    • 15,521 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:07 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:07 PM
    Hi,

I purchased a Surface Pro 4 just over a year ago. I think it is 1 or 2 months out of warranty.

It has just developed a screen fault, the screen flickers and I have a ghost image of all the other screens I've been on imprinted onto the screen.

Although out of warranty, given the price paid for it, I do not believe 1 year and 1 month is a "reasonable amount of time" as quoted in the Consumer Rights Act.

I have contacted PC world (the retailer) and made them aware.

I'm just wondering if any users have either experienced anything similar with PC world, are they likely to accept and offer a replacement / repair? If not, is there anywhere I can go to dispute?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Originally posted by cxkev
    Have a read of MSE's Consumer Rights guide and in there you will see that you have up to six years to seek a remedy from the seller.

How did you pay for the thing? By card? Credit card?
    • cxkev
    • By cxkev 15th Jul 17, 5:18 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cxkev
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:18 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:18 PM
    Thanks wealdroam, I paid for it via a credit agreement (loan) which the retailer arranged through a company called Creation Finance. I have since settled that debt in full.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 15th Jul 17, 5:31 PM
    • 18,640 Posts
    • 15,521 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:31 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:31 PM
    Thanks wealdroam, I paid for it via a credit agreement (loan) which the retailer arranged through a company called Creation Finance. I have since settled that debt in full.
    Then you might like to also read MSE's Section 75 article.

That article does tend to concentrate on credit card finance, Section 75 of The Consumer Credit Act will also cover your credit deal. It does not matter that the loan has already been paid off.
    • cxkev
    • By cxkev 17th Jul 17, 1:38 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cxkev
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:38 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:38 PM
    Hi,

PC World came back to me with the following. Basically offering a partial refund. I would much rather either have it repaired or replaced. Do you think that's possible given the consumer rights act? I've read the the link wealdroam kindly provided but it just says if I want a replacement or repair then that will "make life easier"

I have not contacted the credit company yet regarding section 75, I just wanted to see if PC world will sort it for me first.

"Thanks for getting back to me Kev. Upon checking our repair list, I regret that we are unable to complete a repair on the Surface Pro 4. As such we would be happy to offer you depreciated credit. This is calculated using the months usage of the goods and deducting it from the purchase price. As such, I can offer you £691.00 to go towards a new item as a full and final settlement? - Leanne S"

Thanks for your help
    • Leo2020
    • By Leo2020 17th Jul 17, 1:43 PM
    • 873 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    Leo2020
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:43 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:43 PM
    They can offer a partial refund. If they cannot repair it or it is too costly to repair (the retailer is within their rights to offer the least expensive remedy) then a partial refund is reasonable. It is very unlikely that PC World will offer a replacement.

How much did you pay for the Surface?
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 17th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 3,278 Posts
    • 3,503 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    What was the original purchase price?
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 17th Jul 17, 1:51 PM
    • 18,640 Posts
    • 15,521 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:51 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:51 PM
    Hi,

PC World came back to me with the following. Basically offering a partial refund. I would much rather either have it repaired or replaced. Do you think that's possible given the consumer rights act? I've read the the link wealdroam kindly provided but it just says if I want a replacement or repair then that will "make life easier"

I have not contacted the credit company yet regarding section 75, I just wanted to see if PC world will sort it for me first.

"Thanks for getting back to me Kev. Upon checking our repair list, I regret that we are unable to complete a repair on the Surface Pro 4. As such we would be happy to offer you depreciated credit. This is calculated using the months usage of the goods and deducting it from the purchase price. As such, I can offer you £691.00 to go towards a new item as a full and final settlement? - Leanne S"

Thanks for your help
    A partial refund is a suitable remedy under The Consumer Rights Act.

As you haven't said what the purchase price was, it's difficult to say whether their offer of £691 is appropriate.

Not worth contacting the finance co. at this stage. They will only say PCW are offering a remedy so nothing for us to do.

You might want to try negotiating for a better offer from PCW, but keep in mind they could ask you to prove that the fault is inherent.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 17th Jul 17, 2:22 PM
    • 2,753 Posts
    • 2,774 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 17th Jul 17, 2:22 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 2:22 PM
    Any refund (unless otherwise agreed) must be to the same payment method. As this was a credit agreement then the refund must be in cash, cheque or bank transfer. You are not obliged to accept a credit note.

If you are willing to accept a credit note then this will strengthen your hand in negotiating an improved refund offer.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 17th Jul 17, 2:31 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Yes how much did it cost you and what version have you as these are todays prices

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/d/surface-pro-4/8vv4n8vbqg7c/0R3Q

from Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - 128GB / Intel Core m3 (No Pen) £635.00 incl. VAT
    to Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - 1TB / Intel Core i7 £1,869.00 incl. VAT
    • cxkev
    • By cxkev 17th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cxkev
    Thank you all for your replies.

The exact model I purchased was Surface Pro 4 - 256GB i5 8GB, I can't remember exact price, I think it was in the region of £1,100.

This model is currently retailing at £917 on Microsoft website but PC world don't sell that particular model anymore.

Edit:
    OK so I have found the newer model of the Surface Pro @ PC World which has the same processor (But only half the storage and RAM although that should be fine for what I use it for) and it's currently priced at £929. I'm tempted to take their credit offer and put the additional c£230 to buy this as a replacement.
    Last edited by cxkev; 17-07-2017 at 4:50 PM.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 17th Jul 17, 4:51 PM
    • 9,292 Posts
    • 10,458 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    The exact model I purchased was Surface Pro 4 - 256GB i5 8GB, I can't remember exact price, I think it was in the region of £1,100
    Is that £1100 the price that you paid for the item or it is the price inclusive of the interest charges?
    • cxkev
    • By cxkev 17th Jul 17, 5:43 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cxkev
    It was the Purchase Price
    • CoolHotCold
    • By CoolHotCold 17th Jul 17, 10:52 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 1,292 Thanks
    CoolHotCold
    Have you also tried https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-gb/support

My Xbox One was just over a month out of warranty and they repaired (replaced) free of charge, might be worth a punt either trying to arrange the repair first, or using their online chat.

Failing that, the price of PC's drop fast, tablets even more, £700 back without any sort of hassle in terms of independent report is pretty decent. Especially as you can get a i7 8GB 256 Surface 4 Pro for £800 from CEX (with 24 month guarantee) Or i5 8GB 256 for £~700 Here
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,833Posts Today

9,124Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin