Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Asher
    • By Asher 15th Jul 17, 4:11 PM
    • 142Posts
    • 121Thanks
    Asher
    Can this be right?
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:11 PM
    Can this be right? 15th Jul 17 at 4:11 PM
    I am sorting out probate and have come across someone at work that tells me they do not need probate because when their father died he left his house to his two children in a trust.

I have no idea what sort of trust but I do know that the mother died two or three years ago and at that time the parents had "mirror wills". After the father got the dead mother's share of the house he (the father) made a will putting the house in a trust, the names on the trust were his own (the father's) and his two grown children. The father died recently and apparently there is no need for probate and they can sell the house and divide the money.

Inheritance tax is not an issue because all of the assets combined do not come to the amount where you would pay it but even if it did this person at work says it would not have been a problem due to this trust. All of this was dealt with by a well known will writing company.

Is any of that likely to be true? Or am I having my leg pulled?
Page 1
    • SevenOfNine
    • By SevenOfNine 15th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    SevenOfNine
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    This is probably a bit like that game 'Chinese Whispers', gets increasingly muddled as it's passed on from person to person!

Father inherited everything, then made a Will putting the house in a trust in his own & 2 sons names.......I got stuck there, if he had that in HIS new Will it's a bit pointless, as it would kick in when he died so not much use him being named as trustee or beneficiary (or both) - he's dead.

I don't think this info is quite accurate.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 15th Jul 17, 6:04 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 2,647 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:04 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:04 PM
    The people who used such a company were probably relieved of a lot of money for no reason! Without seeing the details of the wills and the trust it is hard to say if what you have even told is correct.
    • Crabapple
    • By Crabapple 15th Jul 17, 6:45 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 7,113 Thanks
    Crabapple
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:45 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:45 PM
    It's possible to do this. Highly unlikely to work for IHT unless there's a lot more to it than just a trust, but certainly to avoid probate.

It is likely to have cost them circa £3k (min) to set this up, versus potentially a couple of hundred for probate of course, but might not be worth pointing that out!
    Daughter born January 2012 Son born February 2014

Slimming World ~ trying to get back on the wagon...
    • Asher
    • By Asher 15th Jul 17, 8:05 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Asher
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:05 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:05 PM
    It's possible to do this. Highly unlikely to work for IHT unless there's a lot more to it than just a trust, but certainly to avoid probate.

It is likely to have cost them circa £3k (min) to set this up, versus potentially a couple of hundred for probate of course, but might not be worth pointing that out!
    Originally posted by Crabapple

Not worth it then?

They used a will writing company and paid a lot of money and pay a retainer to look after documents. The two grown children also have wills drawn up by the same company and pay a retainer too.

I think the old man was wanting to make sure his wife's half was not swallowed up if he had to go into a home. He never did go into a home in spite of being very frail but would that have been the motivation do you think?
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 15th Jul 17, 9:40 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 2,647 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:40 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:40 PM
    Not worth it then?

They used a will writing company and paid a lot of money and pay a retainer to look after documents. The two grown children also have wills drawn up by the same company and pay a retainer too.

I think the old man was wanting to make sure his wife's half was not swallowed up if he had to go into a home. He never did go into a home in spite of being very frail but would that have been the motivation do you think?
    Originally posted by Asher
    The two children should get new wills made by a solicitor and ask for all the documents to be returned by the will writing company. The trust would not have prevented assets being taken for care costs. If the will company claimed they would then that was probably fraud. Google gifts with reservation.
    Last edited by Yorkshireman99; 15-07-2017 at 11:01 PM.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 16th Jul 17, 2:56 PM
    • 5,694 Posts
    • 5,313 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 16th Jul 17, 2:56 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 2:56 PM
    Originally posted by Asher
    Perhaps it could have been that the couple owned the property as tenants in common (half each) and their wills left their individual halves to their children, but with a proviso that the surviving partner could live in it until their death ....?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,228Posts Today

6,703Users online

Martin's Twitter