Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brian36
    • By brian36 15th Jul 17, 2:58 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 21Thanks
    brian36
    how long repair time allowed
    • 15th Jul 17, 2:58 PM
    how long repair time allowed 15th Jul 17 at 2:58 PM
    hi i bought a dvd player from john lewis aug last year it became faulty second week june this year so within 12 months anyway took back and was told will go for repair and it could take up to 28 days.
    now this was on 16 th june now 30 days later still no word but called today was told no information yet but we are allowed 28 working days, which i questioned . he told me its classed as mon-fri so 5 days a week so now only away for 21 days. but i said your store is open 7 days and the repairer is open 6 so how come only 5. he stated that legally only 5 days a week are included in repair time. is this correct? just seems then that i may have to wait 42 days after having put it in surely this is wrong.
Page 1
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 15th Jul 17, 3:07 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:07 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:07 PM
    yes working week is only Mon-Fri.
    regardless if shop is open 7 days a week JL is not doing the repair. it will be the manufacturer or appointed agency.

You do know that when you take a device in to a retailer for a repair, then they will 9/10 not send it away that day, it may remain in store for upto 14 days until they get a few items to send away too the repair centre, you may be luck at catch just before they go to repair centre or you could be unlucky and just miss out on a delivery to repair centre.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 15th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,549 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    he stated that legally only 5 days a week are included in repair time. is this correct?
    Originally posted by brian36
    No, it is not.

The Consumer Rights Act says the repair must be carried out "within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer".

All that waffle about working days is just that... waffle - as Bris has pointed out.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 15th Jul 17, 5:28 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:28 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:28 PM
    No, it is not.

The Consumer Rights Act says the repair must be carried out "within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer".

All that waffle about working days is just that... waffle - as Bris has pointed out.
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    so i assume this is wrong and you are correct as always
    The LEGAL working week (British English), or workweek (American English), is the part of the seven-day week devoted to labour. In most of the Western world, it is Monday to Friday; the weekend is Saturday and Sunday. A weekday is any day of the working week.
    maybe you should give people correct advise rather than keep attacking people
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 15th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,549 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    so i assume this is wrong and you are correct as always

maybe you should give people correct advise rather than keep attacking people
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    I have no idea what you are quoting from, but it doesn't really matter.

The OP asked:
    he stated that legally only 5 days a week are included in repair time. is this correct?
    Originally posted by brian36
    I answered that question.

Yes, I did comment on 'waffle'.
    The 'waffle' was spouted by the shop assistant.

Did you really think I was attacking anyone?
    Ok, you appear to agree with the shop assistant and that's fine.

You have one opinion, I have another.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 15th Jul 17, 6:01 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:01 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:01 PM
    I have no idea what you are quoting from, but it doesn't really matter.

The OP asked:

I answered that question.

Yes, I did comment on 'waffle'.
    The 'waffle' was spouted by the shop assistant.

Did you really think I was attacking anyone?
    Ok, you appear to agree with the shop assistant and that's fine.

You have one opinion, I have another.
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    if the repair centre only works a 5 day week then how can weekends count. also what i dont like is when you take an item for repair it can site in the shop until then have a few items to send for repair just to save them in costs to send items for repair
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 15th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,549 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    if the repair centre only works a 5 day week then how can weekends count.
    I can only assume you missed the word 'legally' in the OP's question.

As far as I know, please correct me if I'm wrong, there is no legislation that differentiates between a working day and a non-working day when deciding what is a reasonable time for a repair.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 15th Jul 17, 6:27 PM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 2,603 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:27 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:27 PM
    if the repair centre only works a 5 day week then how can weekends count. also what i dont like is when you take an item for repair it can site in the shop until then have a few items to send for repair just to save them in costs to send items for repair
    OP states the repairer is open six days a week.

brian, the adviser is talking rubbish, if you're quoted 28 days then that is 28 days. If you're quoted 28 working days then convention (but not law) is 5 days a week, but it seems you were only quoted this when you chased them up. I would escalate your complaint to a manager.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,425Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin