Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pph
    • By pph 15th Jul 17, 2:31 PM
    • 142Posts
    • 11Thanks
    pph
    Tenant referencing question
    • 15th Jul 17, 2:31 PM
    Tenant referencing question 15th Jul 17 at 2:31 PM
    Hi msexperts,

I have just had the reference report back from https://homelet.co.uk

The tenants have passed homelet's referencing procedure.

I was quite surprised that their income had only been verified by reports provided by the tenants' accountant based on just one year's salary. If audited earnings have been provided by an accountant I guess they aren't PAYE FTEs(?) and therefore maybe more than a year's worth of accounts should be provided? I would say two years should be standard if self-employed?

Also, the previous LL reference is 1 year too, this seems ok but interested in the mse family's opinion on this too.

Thanks!
    Last edited by pph; 15-07-2017 at 2:33 PM.
Page 1
    • camptownraces
    • By camptownraces 15th Jul 17, 3:23 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    camptownraces
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:23 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:23 PM
    Presumably you've got copies of the references. If not, ask for them and don't take "Data Protection" as an excuse.

Be certain that the person claiming to be an accountant really is a qualified and practising accountant. Then check with a phone call to the registered address that this person really did write the reference, and ask whether two years accounts could have been scrutinised.

You need a reference from the landlord BEFORE the current one. It's very easy to give a "good" reference to tenants that the landlord wants to leave.

Then you should phone the landlord to find out if he/she is who they claim to be (you'd hope to get a landline number for this).
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 15th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    • 4,646 Posts
    • 6,560 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    You could ask the prospective tenants for bank statements for two years, look on social media etc if you want to investigate further. You could also go and visit them in their present property as a check they look after what they live in.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 15th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    • 3,621 Posts
    • 7,216 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    I have never held too much faith in financial records going back X years. People can lose a job, even a good, long-held job in an instant.

Having a good income (or rather, having a low income) is no indication they will look after the property or pay the rent (no indication they will trash the place and get in arrears).

Seek an overall balance.
    • pph
    • By pph 17th Jul 17, 10:36 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    pph
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:36 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:36 AM
    Sage advice as ever. Keep it coming! Cheers!
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 17th Jul 17, 1:44 PM
    • 14,477 Posts
    • 14,159 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:44 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:44 PM
    What are your actual concerns?
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 17th Jul 17, 1:47 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 3,529 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:47 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:47 PM
    Are these tenants the only ones who have shown interest in renting your property?
    • aneary
    • By aneary 17th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    aneary
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    Hi msexperts,

I have just had the reference report back from https://homelet.co.uk

The tenants have passed homelet's referencing procedure.

I was quite surprised that their income had only been verified by reports provided by the tenants' accountant based on just one year's salary. If audited earnings have been provided by an accountant I guess they aren't PAYE FTEs(?) and therefore maybe more than a year's worth of accounts should be provided? I would say two years should be standard if self-employed?

Also, the previous LL reference is 1 year too, this seems ok but interested in the mse family's opinion on this too.

Thanks!
    Originally posted by pph
    If I was the tenant and I'd passed the professional letting procedure and the LL then asked for further information I would be slightly annoyed.

Last year I moved from London to Portsmouth I hadn't been in my new job for a month yet passed the checks. There is no more risk for a self employed person than an employed person I could lose my job with a month notice as could most tenants.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,113Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin