Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsSweeney63
    • By MrsSweeney63 15th Jul 17, 2:18 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MrsSweeney63
    Am I a first time buyer?
    • 15th Jul 17, 2:18 PM
    Am I a first time buyer? 15th Jul 17 at 2:18 PM
    My husband and I last had a mortgage in 2000 and have been renting ever since.
    Would a mortgage company class us as First time Buyers again now, or not?
    Advice much appreciated.
Page 1
    • PawelK
    • By PawelK 16th Jul 17, 7:18 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    PawelK
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:18 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:18 AM
    Why would they not? There is no "cut off time" as far as I am concerned but your status would normally be self declared when applying for a mortgage next time.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 16th Jul 17, 9:57 AM
    • 3,782 Posts
    • 4,105 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:57 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:57 AM
    Martin Lewis's take on it is that if you have ever purchased a house, anywhere, then you aren't.

But you should clarify with a mortgage company
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 16th Jul 17, 10:19 AM
    • 31,587 Posts
    • 16,872 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:19 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:19 AM
    I can think of one or two lenders who will term you FTBs.

Most won't.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,708Posts Today

9,123Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin