Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bellola
    • By bellola 15th Jul 17, 1:43 PM
    • 833Posts
    • 5,459Thanks
    bellola
    0 WOW
    Budget Family Holiday Needed in Summer Holidays!
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:43 PM
    0 WOW
    Budget Family Holiday Needed in Summer Holidays! 15th Jul 17 at 1:43 PM
    This may be impossible, as I am struggling and exhausting my options!

My husband is a school teacher so we are restricted to taking our holidays in the school holidays. We have 3 young children age 4, 3 and 1. I am not working as I stay at home to look after the children so we have very little spare cash. However, we are desperate for a little holiday.

I collected all the sun codes with the hope of getting something but there is nothing suitable for our dates. We live in Suffolk and would be happy to travel 2-3 hours for a 3/4 day break but could travel a bit further if we were staying a bit longer.

I have looked at places like Butlins, Haven in Norfolk etc and also at Airbnb. I am not sure where else to look that is budget and family friendly?
Page 1
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 15th Jul 17, 5:46 PM
    • 7,147 Posts
    • 5,551 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:46 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:46 PM
    An idea of the budget you have may bring more responses.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    • 60,670 Posts
    • 354,691 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    I've noticed that the week containing the August Bank Holiday Monday is cheaper than the previous 5 weeks in a lot of places.
    • thecoffeehouse204
    • By thecoffeehouse204 15th Jul 17, 7:43 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    thecoffeehouse204
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:43 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:43 PM
    Depending on your budget I think you may struggle, most places are cheap for a reason, we set ourselves a £500 budget for a 4 night stay and had to increase that as even the places that looked complete dumps were coming up more than that! I am really picky when it comes to holiday acommodation though as I don't see the point in leaving my lovely house to stay somewhere with ripped furniture smelling of urine and dogs!
    Really wish something could be done about the ridiculous prices in the school holidays but it seems even worse this year since that dad lost his high court battle against the fines.
    Hope you manage to find something, try the hoseasons website and you might get lucky x
    • CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 15th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    Oh dear, Bellola, done that and got the sweatshirt - my husband was a teacher, and still works in the education sector, and we had two boys as well.

I'm sorry, but I think you will find it virtually impossible to find a cheap budget holiday at most places during the school holidays. The only thing that might allow you to get away is to go camping - it was certainly the only option open to us for many a year. Its possible to pick up relatively cheap packages of camping equipment if you don't already have this, or can't borrow it from kindly friends and relatives - try Millets or Halfords. You will probably have to pay something in the order of £20 - 30 a night for your pitch as well. There are some very basic camps - water tap and a loo is as luxious as it gets, but there are others which have Facilities. The best advice I can give you is choose a tent that you and your husband can stand upright in (even it it does cost a bit more) as being bent double all the time does terrible things to the temper, and to make sure that the kit you take is as luxurious as you can make it in as compact a space as you can. Also, have a go at putting the tent up in the garden beforehand if you can, so you aren't faced with the problem of trying to fathom out how it goes up in the twilight with tired youngsters on your hands. It helps to write a list down of everything you want to take too, and tick it off as you add it to the pile.

This will be considerably cheaper than hiring a caravan during August, which down here on the South Coast will easily be £1000 a week and more. However, camping isn't everyone's cup of tea, and personally I can't think of anything more depressing than camping in the rain, or sharing a site with 499 other tents. If this isn't your sort of holiday, then I'm afraid that you will have save up your pennies and budget for taking a holiday every other year.

Good luck, and I hope you manage to get your little holiday.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 265.
    • jayII
    • By jayII 15th Jul 17, 10:43 PM
    • 39,912 Posts
    • 106,402 Thanks
    jayII
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:43 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:43 PM
    I agree with camping being cheap and fun. We always went for small and pretty campsites when the children were young, rather than bigger sites with all the facilities such as bars, restaurants and games rooms. We found the small sites safer and more relaxing with little ones, but it's personal choice.

If you do go camping, http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ is a useful site for reviews and information.

One of our favourite places to go was Mwnt in South Wales, you might find accomodation near there within your budget but it's a lot further than you wanted to drive.
    Last edited by jayII; 15-07-2017 at 10:52 PM.
    15.9.17. Balance: £10360.87/Mortg: £174,906.67

No spend on non-essentials year. To date: £

• greenface
    • By greenface 16th Jul 17, 9:15 PM
    • 4,583 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    greenface
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:15 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:15 PM
    I've noticed that the week containing the August Bank Holiday Monday is cheaper than the previous 5 weeks in a lot of places.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    that's also the week when the kids go back to school after 26/8 - 02/09 . Its a week I always find difficult to shift as a holiday home owner as a full week and knock some money off just to clear it as a full week , ( we are north wales so a bit far for the op) my weeks in august went a while ago for 20% MORE THAN THAT LAST WEEK.
    North Wales Holiday Home Owner
    • newtonflotman
    • By newtonflotman 16th Jul 17, 11:57 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    newtonflotman
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:57 PM
    Youth Hostels
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:57 PM
    Have a look at YHA, there's some pretty good ones around.
    Canterbury, Kent has a 6 bed private room with ensuite, avail 28th Aug to 1 Sept Inc for £356. Nice town and not too far from beaches like Broadstairs. Play around with dates etc might find cheaper.
    Sheringham in north Norfolk comes in cheaper at £236 for the same.
    Last edited by newtonflotman; 17-07-2017 at 2:02 PM.
    • adviceforall
    • By adviceforall 23rd Jul 17, 6:23 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    adviceforall
    • 23rd Jul 17, 6:23 PM
    • 23rd Jul 17, 6:23 PM
    TRy booking with private owners of caravans at sites such as Haven, Park Dean and park resorts etc.

There is a good website for this at www.directholidayhomes.co.uk

You can save literally £100's off park prices.
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 23rd Jul 17, 7:36 PM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    suejb2
    Holiday
    Have you looked on EBAY? Literally put Scarborough caravan August in to search and a few vacancies came up. Obviously put your own place in but I think you may get lucky.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 23rd Jul 17, 7:48 PM
    • 19,631 Posts
    • 31,709 Thanks
    Spendless
    No good for this year but May half term tends to be cheaper than any of the summer holiday weeks. As previously mentioned the last week of August is cheaper than the others, if you're in an area where your husband isn't back at work until September.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 23rd Jul 17, 7:52 PM
    • 19,631 Posts
    • 31,709 Thanks
    Spendless
    that's also the week when the kids go back to school after 26/8 - 02/09 . Its a week I always find difficult to shift as a holiday home owner as a full week and knock some money off just to clear it as a full week , ( we are north wales so a bit far for the op) my weeks in august went a while ago for 20% MORE THAN THAT LAST WEEK.
    Originally posted by greenface
    It varies area by area, but mine have never returned to school any earlier than 2nd September. This year my daughter returns 6th September, but the teachers at her school have to be there from 4th.

The full week that contained Aug BH was always one I looked for when booking a hol on a budget as plenty of other schools are back during it.
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 23rd Jul 17, 10:05 PM
    • 4,355 Posts
    • 35,332 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    I think that a caravan on a holiday park is going to be out of reach if your budget is tight. We went camping for holidays for 10 years with our boys. We gradually upgraded our tent and kit and getting an electric hook up added a bit of comfort. Yes it was wet and cold at times but we had some amazing holidays. I think that if you go with the right mindset it can be great fun.

UKcampsite website is great for advice about getting started.

We have done YHA holidays too (and you can self cater using the shared kitchen) but there are downsides. You will all have to sleep in one room, the bunk beds can be really uncomfortable and hostels sometimes are really not suited for family holidays. I remember one where you could only use the self catering kitchen at certain times and you will have to share the lounge and communal areas.
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 25th Jul 17, 11:23 AM
    • 3,872 Posts
    • 7,063 Thanks
    culpepper
    Another one in favour of camping. You might see camping stuff on freecycle or could you or hubby borrow some from family, friends or colleagues?
    I think you would need at least a 4 person tent so there is room for you all and a stove of some kind, (the little gas cannister stoves from millets or wilkinsons are very easy to use). You dont desperately need sleeping bags if you have blankets and pillows (although its easier with them )but something soft under you makes night time very much easier.
    Some camp sites will rent out tents and equipment but I cant say what the prices would be for that.
    You dont need electric hook ups but you would definitely need to look at campsites with toilets and hopefully showers.
    The campsite link already mentioned is very good and also there is pitchup which also has reviews and a booking facility .
    Lots of campsites will freeze your cooler ice blocks if you take a cool box that uses them and enough blocks to swap them out every day.
    • JVRMac
    • By JVRMac 6th Aug 17, 11:01 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    JVRMac
    What about city stays? We have had lots of short breaks on the cheap, staying at premier inn for a few days, spent 4 days in Manchester which cost about £170 for a family room, also spent a few days in edinburgh including train fare it came to about £200, lots of free stuff to do when you are there too, which keeps the price down.
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 6th Aug 17, 11:48 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 1,413 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Google where to stay in Brightlingsea. Great place for kiddies if you can get somewhere
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,765Posts Today

6,582Users online

Martin's Twitter