Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Annie35
    • By Annie35 15th Jul 17, 1:42 PM
    • 117Posts
    • 78Thanks
    Annie35
    electric bikes & mopeds ( epac )
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:42 PM
    electric bikes & mopeds ( epac ) 15th Jul 17 at 1:42 PM
    hello, im considering getting an electric moped to buzz around on. Has anyone else got one or seen one? They're classed as a bike but look like a moped (so not going to saw your butt up! ) you dont need a licence or anything to have one.

This is one,, https://eriderbikes.com/e-rider-new-model-15/
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 15th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    • 10,015 Posts
    • 7,001 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    Not sure I'd want one that can only do 15mph on the road.
    • Annie35
    • By Annie35 15th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Annie35
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    not sure id dare go faster, im not a natural traveller & its still quicker then walking, haha
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 15th Jul 17, 1:55 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:55 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:55 PM
    I knew somebody who had one and it terrified me every time I saw him out on it.

Worst of both worlds, the extra weight makes it slow and less nimble than a bike so you can't get yourself out of trouble. Also expect to get hassle riding what looks like a motorcycle with a normal cycle helmet or no helmet. Either get a proper bike or a proper motorbike.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 15th Jul 17, 4:38 PM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 3,775 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:38 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:38 PM
    Really don't like the look of them for the reasons mentioned above.

You are going to get loads of hassle from drivers wondering why you're riding a scooter at 15mph.

If a normal bike is too much effort (for whatever reason) how about an electric assist bike.

You still have to peddle but they have different levels of assistance up to 15mph, and you can go faster if you're up to it and everyone will know it a bicycle.

I have one for my 6 mile commute and it means I can use the excellent cycle path through the park, missing some really nasty junctions and roundabouts.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tests/best-electric-bikes-need-know-e-bikes-322613
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 15th Jul 17, 7:03 PM
    • 5,216 Posts
    • 4,716 Thanks
    thescouselander
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:03 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:03 PM
    I knew somebody who had one and it terrified me every time I saw him out on it.

Worst of both worlds, the extra weight makes it slow and less nimble than a bike so you can't get yourself out of trouble. Also expect to get hassle riding what looks like a motorcycle with a normal cycle helmet or no helmet. Either get a proper bike or a proper motorbike.
    Originally posted by angrycrow

Definitely this^^^^^^

To be honest 15 mph isn't fast at all and many cyclists routinely go faster than this on their conventional bikes. Unless there's some specific reason to go electric (health reasons or something) it might just be better getting a decent conventional bike.
    Last edited by thescouselander; 15-07-2017 at 9:25 PM.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 15th Jul 17, 7:11 PM
    • 4,195 Posts
    • 3,036 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:11 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:11 PM
    I agree get a conventional bike.

And if you are worried about 'sawing your butt up' just get a good silicone gel padded wider 'ladies' seat fitted.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 15th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 11,546 Posts
    • 6,459 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    I'd agree with some of the above posts, 15mph is going to get you a lot of bullying and road rage, these things can be classed as bicycles if they have pedals and are limited in speed (15mph????), so it's not as if you can go any faster......
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Jul 17, 10:39 PM
    • 25,713 Posts
    • 10,219 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:39 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:39 PM
    Try pedalling a 40kg bike. You not going far on that if the batteries give up.

The average cyclist on a lightweight bike will whizz past you. Because it looks like a moped cars will expect you to whizz upto 30mph+ not sit there at 15mph max.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 16th Jul 17, 12:20 AM
    • 2,325 Posts
    • 1,530 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    As others have said I don't see the point of this e-moped but not really a moped rather than an e-bike. I wouldn't want to ride something like that as I'd be concerned about the quality given the low price of £1500 is around the starting price for a decent conventional e-bike.

John
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 16th Jul 17, 10:10 AM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 3,775 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Try pedalling a 40kg bike. You not going far on that if the batteries give up.

The average cyclist on a lightweight bike will whizz past you. Because it looks like a moped cars will expect you to whizz upto 30mph+ not sit there at 15mph max.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Yes, mine weights a ton and would be very difficult to start off without power.

But, once up to speed, which is where the assist comes in, I happily cruise at 15-20mph on the flat reaching a max of about 25 due to the gearing, only dropping back into the assist when meeting hills or particularity windy conditions.

The battery should be good for around 30 miles (depending on assist use/weight of rider and weather conditions) and charges in a couple of hours.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 16th Jul 17, 5:42 PM
    • 25,713 Posts
    • 10,219 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Fit a hub motor to a standard lightweight bike, win win?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

• RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 16th Jul 17, 6:44 PM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 3,775 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Fit a hub motor to a standard lightweight bike, win win?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    It's the hub motor and battery that adds the weight. Mine is 25kg.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 16th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 25,713 Posts
    • 10,219 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Yeah the hub motor and battery adds weight to a standard bike. But the frame on that scooter style bike will weight a LOT more to start off with.

• RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 16th Jul 17, 8:54 PM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 3,775 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Oh, I agree.

This is mine,

Aluminium frame, half decent components but at the cheaper end of the market.

Got it on the Cycle to Work Scheme so saving around 30% and as a commuting vehicle, ideal for me.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 16th Jul 17, 9:19 PM
    • 9,448 Posts
    • 10,614 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    There is another thing that would put me off that particular bike:
    "with batteries giving a range of 20 to 25 miles on a single charge."

If that "20 to 25 miles" is as accurate as many of the MPG figures given by car manufacturers, I'd expect the true range to be closer to 10 to 15 miles and possibly less if you are in a hilly area or riding at the top speed a fair bit.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 16th Jul 17, 11:08 PM
    • 25,713 Posts
    • 10,219 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    I think there is an post where after 2 years they get 12 miles per charge.
    So 2 year old batteries will get you 12 miles.

I would say 30 miles would be a dream unless you have popeye's legs and pedal a lot.

• Annie35
    • By Annie35 17th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    • 117 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Annie35
    ooh replies, thanks. See i dont want a bike, at all really. Id like a motorised-mobile of some description, but not a bike

See what your saying about road rage but scooters go 30 OR 60 & ragers gonna rage regardless. Incidently saw a young lad on a scotter getting intimidated by a road bike racer this weekend, haha, shouldnt laugh but geez the biker would be the first to complain if a car did that to him, so no ones safes from ragers eh.

I like the idea of a chunky body kit with lights, it 'feels' safer i guess & tootling along marsh roads with no street lights having indicators & a big shiny bulb at front can only be a good thing. There are a a couple of other models which look more like bikes thou. Also the double seat would be useful for dropping the big girl at the end of the road or school etc.

Ive watched some youtube videos from canada (they seem bigger over there) & they seem quite nippy & no complaints on mileage, i think youre meant to cruise & pedal when not needing the pull of the motor & you get further overal.

BUUUTTTT it seems dvla want 'type approval' (like a presale licence) on all post 2016 twist&go models, which the importers (that ive spoken to) dont do! So i'll keep half an eye on the 2nd hand market but it could be a bit of a non starter this really
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 17th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Stoke
    A few months ago, I took a break from driving (currently in the process of finding a new motor as I've finally decided that living without a car is too much of a ball ache) and I actually looked at E-Bikes as an alternative.

In other countries, you can get 500W e-Bikes that travel up to 25-30mph and I liked the idea of one. However, in the UK, they're heavily restricted now and there are horror stories online of people getting driving bans thank to e-Bikes they've bought off eBay.

The fact the UK have almost banned them, makes me a bit cynical. Are they banned because they're dangerous? Or are they banned because they're essentially an untaxed method of transport and perhaps might have caught on? A 25Mph e-Bike would probably get me to work as fast as when I used my car, although not as fast as the train.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Jul 17, 11:50 AM
    • 25,713 Posts
    • 10,219 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Its not about rage its about the fact they will expect you to move along much quicker than you can. So dont be shocked when they run over you.

And expect to be pulled over a lot due to no numberplates.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

10Posts Today

3,375Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin