Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • MoralDilema
    • By MoralDilema 15th Jul 17, 12:17 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 311Thanks
    Urgent advice needed
    • #1
    • 15th Jul 17, 12:17 PM
    Urgent advice needed 15th Jul 17 at 12:17 PM
    Hi all, quick question that I need help with

    OH has finally completed the uni course and is due to graduate in septemeber. Student finance has now pulled this years fees due to the following.

    Childcare forms were filled out fraudulently and all funding has stopped, I know this is untrue as her child has been going to the relevent before/after school clubs , which has been confirmed BUT they are unable to give dates and amounts or receipts and due to this SF are putting it all down as a fraud claim.

    Now SF are after £5200 before september or graduation will not happen.

    I'm looking into getting a loan against my house and paying it that way as there no other option for us.

    Are SF able to do this, pull the money straight away ?
    Can you graduate perhaps next year if it's paid?

    I really have no other ideas on this and just need a clear answer as to wether they can do this at such a late date and ask for so much so quick.

    As usual any advice is appreciated.
    Speak your mind.- Nobody else will do it for you.
Page 1
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 15th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    • 36,938 Posts
    • 155,656 Thanks
    • #2
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    • #2
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    The university can withhold the degree if money is owing. The urgent bill should come from the university. Student Finance asking for a repayment while you are still appealing the case sounds less urgent to me.
    • Taiko
    • By Taiko 17th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 2,361 Thanks
    • #3
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    • #3
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    They can terminate support in this way. Put it this way; she's had the money up front to pay for the childcare costs. These are always estimated per term, and the contract with SFE states the need to provide the receipts. If you cannot provide evidence, then I can understand why they're treating it in this way.

    Your only option is to obtain suitable documentation from the childcare provider, so my recommendation would be to chase these up as much as possible. SFE are unlikely to change their stance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,668Posts Today

7,717Users online

Martin's Twitter