Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mila 15
    • By Mila 15 15th Jul 17, 12:03 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mila 15
    Currys PC World Upgrade Anytime
    • 15th Jul 17, 12:03 PM
    Currys PC World Upgrade Anytime 15th Jul 17 at 12:03 PM
    Hello,

Perhaps I am posting in the wrong place, not too sure. But here goes..

I went into Derby Kingsway Currys PC World branch in Feb 2016 with the intention of buying a laptop. The laptop recently went very wrong and I had to dig out out my receipt, etc as I have a Knowhow careplan with Currys. Then noticed it was a rental agreement rather than a credit agreement and have complained to Currys PC World recently about being mis-sold the agreement.

On that Feb 2016 day, it was a very busy weekend day and it took ages for someone to talk to me about laptops. Other Currys branches in Derby had recently closed so the Kingsway one was extra busy with not enough staff frankly.

I same to have ended up with a Upgrade Anytime contract which runs for 2 years which is a rental agreement. Having stated at the time to the store sales assistant that I want to BUY a laptop and am happy to spread the cost along with the careplan, virus protect and cloud storage, I was taken to another sales assistant who very quickly did the 'sale'. He explained that payments of X amount would be direct debited over 2 years and I was happy with that. I passed the credit check (unfortunately). He printed off the contract and I signed it. I know how store credit works, etc so I didn't read the contract agreement at the time. Wasn't really offered any time to read it anyway as the sales assistant was rushing as he had a queue of customers waiting.

As stated earlier I have recently complained to Currys PC World that the word's lease/hire/rental were never mentioned by the sales assistant. I made it clear on that day I wanted a credit agreement. The rental is through Rentsmart i know now who are a shady bunch of con-artists and there are numerous complaints about them all over the internet. This name was not mentioned verbally by the sales assistant ever, it's not on the name badge, the store is not called Rentsmart. This feels very much like deception to me. I said in my complaint letter I am not happy to pay extra money to Rentsmart after my 24 months in order to keep the laptop. I am 100% not going to return the laptop in order to take out another 2 yr agreement with them . I have never been entirely happy with the Lenovo G50-80 as it's always been very slow at doing anything and has already gone wrong once. All the response I got from Currys PC World to the complaint letter was that I should have read the contract at the time. I can take my complaint to the Ombudsman if I want to

Has anyone had a situation like this ? Thanks
Page 2
    • Mila 15
    • By Mila 15 4th Jan 18, 7:56 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mila 15
    Update on Contract
    Hi all,

Thank you Steven for adding to my moans and groans about PCW/Rentsmart Ltd.

Next week I will be paying my 24th DD payment and I thought that would be it. But alas no, the payment made in Currys/PCW is not part of the 24 lease payments so there will be a 25th payment in Feb and then a further 3 payments to Rentsmart

Even now I still maintain to Rentsmart and Currys that I was mis-sold. I also believe that the Pre-Hire Contract and Hire Contract do not have the correct information on as per the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

You must also be given key financial information including:

the type of credit
    the amount of credit or the credit limit
    the duration of the agreement
    the rate of interest charges and the APR and any conditions applicable to the rate
    the total amount payable
    the amounts and timings of repayments

This information must be contained in a document headed 'Pre-Contract Information' which must be provided separately to the credit agreement itself.

There is nothing on my pre-contract that clearly gives the total amount payable before interest is added nor after (if you wish to 'keep' the item). Nothing about APR rate. This information is supposed to be there so customer can make an informed decision before signing their life away So the customer can see the difference between paying by cash or debit card and paying by credit agreement.

A previous person mentioned a cooling off period. There isn't one on my contract but perhaps legally there should be. Under the CCA 1974, if you sign the contract away from the business premises, a cooling off period must be on the contract. I could argue I didn't sign it on Rentsmart Ltd premises but I don't think it would do any good.

We have the Misrepresentation act 1967 - If you walk into a shop called Currys/PC World and get served by a person wearing that shop's uniform, then surely most consumers would think that the sales person will be truthful and actually works for a company on their name badge.

I am half tempted to go into Currys/PCW and pretend to want to buy the expensive computer there and then once they've printed everything off, say I want to check it over and sit there and read all the pages and then tell them to stick it just to watch the sales persons face drop
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 5th Jan 18, 1:50 PM
    • 3,157 Posts
    • 2,258 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Has anyone had a situation like this ? Thanks
    Originally posted by Mila 15

If you mean being sold things they dont want or need, for inflated prices , using underhand pressure tactics, then yes
    Everybody who buys anything from there
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • CoolHotCold
    • By CoolHotCold 5th Jan 18, 5:05 PM
    • 2,103 Posts
    • 1,305 Thanks
    CoolHotCold
    I am half tempted to go into Currys/PCW and pretend to want to buy the expensive computer there and then once they've printed everything off, say I want to check it over and sit there and read all the pages and then tell them to stick it just to watch the sales persons face drop

Which would be a waste of time as they don't offer it anymore, and have not done for a while.
    • Mila 15
    • By Mila 15 5th Jan 18, 8:31 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mila 15
    Infinity is not offered. The scheme is called Upgrade Anytime now and it was 2 years ago. It would give me great pleasure to spend an hour in Currys making the sales staff miserable
    • Greta Sharbo
    • By Greta Sharbo 6th Jan 18, 12:13 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Greta Sharbo

We have the Misrepresentation act 1967 - If you walk into a shop called Currys/PC World and get served by a person wearing that shop's uniform, then surely most consumers would think that the sales person will be truthful and actually works for a company on their name badge.
    I think we would all like to think they would be but perhaps be aware that they might not be. They want to sell as much as possible.

Proving misleading action is the hard part really.

What did CAB say?
    • CoolHotCold
    • By CoolHotCold 6th Jan 18, 11:44 AM
    • 2,103 Posts
    • 1,305 Thanks
    CoolHotCold
    Infinity is not offered. The scheme is called Upgrade Anytime now and it was 2 years ago. It would give me great pleasure to spend an hour in Currys making the sales staff miserable
    Ands my comment still stands.

Upgrade Anytime is no longer offered to new consumers, it has been withdrawn, and the only time you can take out leasing is if you are an existing customer, upgrading your hardware at the end of the contract, or a business customer going through the Rentsmart for business leasing.
    • Mila 15
    • By Mila 15 7th Jan 18, 4:32 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mila 15
    Update
    Hi all,

The CAB - Didn't bother contacting them.

I used Resolver instead addressing my complaint towards Currys/PCW rather than Rentsmart Ltd. Yesterday morning a lady from Dixons Group called to say they'd be refunding me back the £45.29 which was the payment made in store on signing day. She didn't say why. I didn't ask why. Perhaps I put across a valid point on Resolver about contract wording being misleading

Prior to receiving that phone call, I filled in a complaint form on the FOS site regarding Rentsmart Ltd which I will carry on with because I believe the contracts which I signed do not have the information on which the CCA 1974 says they should have. I have complained directly to Rentsmart regarding mis-selling, dodgy contract wording and their attitude towards their customers is unprofessional

Cheers for now x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,806Posts Today

8,581Users online

Martin's Twitter