Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Petethespider
    • By Petethespider 15th Jul 17, 11:21 AM
    • 69Posts
    • 147Thanks
    Petethespider
    How do I handle this?
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:21 AM
    How do I handle this? 15th Jul 17 at 11:21 AM
    I've been employed on a zero hour contract since the beginning of the year to a small local family business. I was their only paid employee, only getting work when the work load was more then they could cope with alone. Suited me to the ground and I've been very happy there

Beginning of June, business was flying and I was by that time averaging 20 to 26 hrs, but my pay was getting later and later. Sometimes I'd be half way through a new week before I got the previous weeks pay

Any ways it then runs that I've no wages for 3 weeks, always with promises it will be with me later in the day

At the same time, cheques to suppliers were being bounced

Then I get two weeks of what was owed and nothing since. I'm still owed two weeks money, being promised it every day the past week and today I was told there's no more hours for me I said no worries I'll be up today for my outstanding pay later. Just received a text saying she's still waiting funds to clear

So obviously she's going belly up and can't afford to pay me, but I want the money I'm owed

What's my next step?
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 15th Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    • 10,586 Posts
    • 12,483 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    Is this a limited company?
    • Petethespider
    • By Petethespider 15th Jul 17, 11:49 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    Petethespider
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:49 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:49 AM
    I don't know. Worked at a portacabin in the garden of the house. As I say it was just her and him till they took me on
    • Beartricks
    • By Beartricks 15th Jul 17, 11:57 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Beartricks
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:57 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:57 AM
    I'd not give them the option because it sounds like they're trying to direct all their money to areas where they think it is more important, meaning they've decided that you're at the bottom of that list for now. Fair enough, they're going bust but ultimately that's not your fault. You've already given up your time to them and you are owed money for it.

Waiting for funds to clear means that the money has been transferred to them and they're waiting for the bank to tell them that it's in their account. This, usually takes a couple of hours but it can happen instantly. I think that what your boss actually means is either they're waiting to be paid so they can pay you, they have the money but don't want to pay you specifically, or they're actually just broke.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt to get the 'funds cleared' for a day or two, then show up at short notice so they don't have the opportunity to text you an excuse or do a runner. From what you've been told, they'll have the money soon, so choose to take that literally for now even if you don't really believe it.

If you show up and they don't tell you the truth then I'd start being more firm.
    • Petethespider
    • By Petethespider 15th Jul 17, 12:08 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    Petethespider
    • 15th Jul 17, 12:08 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 12:08 PM
    Well they can't go too far as its a small town and everyone knows everyone

I'm just fuming because I have had not a penny to my name for two weeks as by time I'd got the previous late pay, I owed it elsewhere where I was having to borrow to tide me over

I'm also fuming because they were personal friends long before I started to work there. I feel completely mugged Not looking forward to saying to the OH I've no money coming again because he's ready to go down and create a scene
    • patman99
    • By patman99 15th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    • 7,972 Posts
    • 9,399 Thanks
    patman99
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    Do they trade as a limited company or are they sole traders?.

This is easy to determine as any letterheads will have 'Limited' after the company name.

If they are sole traders, then move on and get another job then chase them for the un-paid wages.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £244/ £1000 (that's 24.4%)

3-6 month EF £240.61/£3600 (that's 4 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,166Posts Today

9,774Users online

Martin's Twitter