Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 15th Jul 17, 10:15 AM
    • 1,635Posts
    • 356Thanks
    Chomeur
    Santander 123 Lite offers 5% cashback on mobile payments
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:15 AM
    Santander 123 Lite offers 5% cashback on mobile payments 15th Jul 17 at 10:15 AM
    Can anyone find this on the Santander website?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/banking/2017/07/santander-123-lite-offers-5-cashback-on-mobile-payments?_ga=2.137883192.980067462.1500021314-1674431099.1491403311
Page 2
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 18th Jul 17, 6:52 PM
    • 2,247 Posts
    • 1,272 Thanks
    surreysaver
    I'm still looking at this Monzo thing. How do I load money onto it from Android Pay? Its asking me to put £100 from a debit card which I don't mind doing to get the thing started and in the post, but once I get it how do I stick money on it from my Android Pay app?
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
    • wiseonesomeofthetime
    • By wiseonesomeofthetime 18th Jul 17, 10:09 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    wiseonesomeofthetime
    It is really easy.

Though the first Top Up needs to be made via debit card, future deposits can be made via debit card, bank transfer, or android pay.

Simply open the app on your android smart phone/tablet, press the plus sign in the bottom right hand corner and select top up.

Pick a multiple of £10 for your top up and then select Android Pay at the bottom of the screen.

Select the card you wish to use with your android pay (make sure it is a debit card) and job done!

I used it for my TSB 5% cashback
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 19th Jul 17, 2:46 AM
    • 2,247 Posts
    • 1,272 Thanks
    surreysaver
    And you reckon this'll work with Santander Lite? How much money do you think would be taking the mickey?
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 19th Jul 17, 12:32 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    And you reckon this'll work with Santander Lite? How much money do you think would be taking the mickey?
    Originally posted by surreysaver
    When using a Santander Lite account, I can't think of any advantage of topping up with Android Pay over topping up with a debt card.

Monzo's limits are here: https://community.monzo.com/t/new-limits/7567.

I'd be wary of carrying a large balance on a prepaid card.
    • batrachophagus
    • By batrachophagus 20th Jul 17, 4:14 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    batrachophagus
    I'm looking at this Monzo thing. Is it literally as easy as getting a Monzo Card, putting £100 (for example) on it per day via Android Pay for the next 70 days, and earning £350 cashback? Is it that simple? Obviously I'll end up with £7k on my Monzo Card, but I could just spend that over the next year or wait for them to do current accounts.

Or you could withdraw it as cash at the ATM and pay back into your 123 Lite account immediately. You'll be a bit cross if you go to that effort for next 70 days and then they don't honour the transfer as goods or services though.
    • batrachophagus
    • By batrachophagus 20th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    batrachophagus
    Or you could withdraw it as cash at the ATM and pay back into your 123 Lite account immediately. You'll be a bit cross if you go to that effort for next 70 days and then they don't honour the transfer as goods or services though.
    Originally posted by batrachophagus

Correction - you can only withdraw £1,000 or £2,000 per month apparently, depending on your status.
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 20th Jul 17, 7:52 PM
    • 2,247 Posts
    • 1,272 Thanks
    surreysaver
    So is a Monzo Card like a debit card - could I use it to pay into my Post Office savings?
    • pantaiema
    • By pantaiema 21st Jul 17, 10:18 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    pantaiema
    Monzo and Revolut - aka prepaid debit cards.

If done correctly, you could earn hundreds of pounds in cashback.
    Originally posted by karlie88
    Would you please explain it how? Or probably link explaining this cashbook. Thanks
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 21st Jul 17, 11:31 AM
    • 2,247 Posts
    • 1,272 Thanks
    surreysaver
    Would you please explain it how? Or probably link explaining this cashbook. Thanks
    Originally posted by pantaiema
    See post #22

Just got to figure out a way to get the money off the Monzo Card. The Post Office Savings account only accepts Switch or Visa payments, not Mastercard (which the Monzo Card is).
    Last edited by surreysaver; 21-07-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    • pantaiema
    • By pantaiema 21st Jul 17, 2:20 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    pantaiema
    See post #22

Just got to figure out a way to get the money off the Monzo Card. The Post Office Savings account only accepts Switch or Visa payments, not Mastercard (which the Monzo Card is).
    I stil get confused how doe it work. From post#22 I understand the £10 top up

1. Open the app on the android smart phone/tablet, press the plus sign in the bottom right hand corner and select top up.

2. Pick a multiple of £10 for your top up and then select Android Pay at the bottom of the screen.

3. Select the card you wish to use with your android pay (make sure it is a debit card) and job done!

4. I used it for my TSB 5% cashback

Do you get the cahsback from Monzo or from TSB?
    Does this actualy mean you get the cashback becuase of TSB 5% debitcard consider it as a contactless purchase. If it was the as then people without TSB plus account or already have it for a while are our of luck ??
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 21st Jul 17, 2:42 PM
    • 2,247 Posts
    • 1,272 Thanks
    surreysaver
    TSB pays the cashback (not that I've got a TSB account - just reading others' posts of how it works).
    • faddy
    • By faddy 30th Jul 17, 2:07 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    faddy
    Having re-read the Santander Lite conditions, there is a clause in there allowing them to change the conditions! But could transferring money to a Monzo Card be classed as a purchase or service?
    Credit card transactions are classified as either purchases or cash transactions but I don't know whether there's such a distinction with debit card transactions?
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 30th Jul 17, 4:22 PM
    • 9,961 Posts
    • 6,360 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Credit card transactions are classified as either purchases or cash transactions but I don't know whether there's such a distinction with debit card transactions?
    Originally posted by faddy
    There is but there may be anomalies between providers.

For debit cards then cash transactions would actually be wider to include financial transactions to other banks or investments to exclude gaming such rewards. These are often limited but tesco for example would give clubcard reward points on even very large transactions such as a car purchase. They wouldn't for a transfer of money to purchase investment funds for example.
    • faddy
    • By faddy 13th Aug 17, 12:48 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    faddy
    There is but there may be anomalies between providers.

For debit cards then cash transactions would actually be wider to include financial transactions to other banks or investments to exclude gaming such rewards. These are often limited but tesco for example would give clubcard reward points on even very large transactions such as a car purchase. They wouldn't for a transfer of money to purchase investment funds for example.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Santander have confirmed that my use of my debit card to load Revolut via Android Pay was classed as "quasi cash" (which surprised me a little as my Revolut top-ups from three different CCs - I don't have a Santander CC - were all classed as purchases).

I you draw "cashback" at a supermarket checkout is that seen by the bank as part of the purchase (and so should attract the 123 Lite cashback) or as a separate transaction)?
    • batrachophagus
    • By batrachophagus 14th Aug 17, 10:31 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    batrachophagus
    I tried to buy a car with Santander account Apple Pay on Saturday. On the dealer side, they had capped it at £650 for some unknown reason, so tried putting through several transactions. It capped out at 3 transactions, and despite confirming they were my transactions to the automated fraud check from Santander, I couldn't get any more transactions through. Paid the remainder with debit card, so potentially only got cash-back on a small proportion of total.

If I had the chance again, I would have called the dealer in advance to see what limit they had, and tried to get them to increase it. I didn't know they could have an arbitrary limit though, I thought it was either £30 or unlimited....
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 15th Aug 17, 1:49 AM
    • 3,772 Posts
    • 13,834 Thanks
    Westie983
    Topped up both Monzo and Starling today via Apple Pay, so its a waiting game to see if they honour it

Both payments show on statement as (via Apple pay) Monzo -£300.
    so as long as it has the via apple pay link it should pay out.

I will be using the card abroad when I next go, so will be able to get the funds off the card.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2017 #16 Total £21,355/£12,000 = 177.95%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10 #97 Total (£252) +£158/£500 = 82.00% ( x 10)
    Xmas 2017 £1 a Day #6 Total £330/£365 = 90.41%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £1,350/£1,800 = 75.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2017 #3 Total (£1,450)+£50/£2,000 = 75.00%

Total £24,945/£16,665 = 149.68%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • faddy
    • By faddy 12th Sep 17, 11:42 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    faddy
    I you draw "cashback" at a supermarket checkout is that seen by the bank as part of the purchase (and so should attract the 123 Lite cashback) or as a separate transaction)?
    Got no replies to this before so I'll try again. Anyone know?
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 13th Sep 17, 6:59 PM
    • 9,961 Posts
    • 6,360 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Got no replies to this before so I'll try again. Anyone know?
    Give it a go and report back.
    • faddy
    • By faddy 14th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    faddy
    Give it a go and report back.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    So I tried for cashback in Sainsbury's last night and the option to pay by contactless was removed from the terminal (green light off, "insert or swipe card" displayed). Got them to cancel the cashback request and put my shooping through again and was able to pay contactless so presumably not an issue with that terminal.

I'm guessing this is so that they can check you're using a debit, not a credit, card before taking payment. (Alternatively it's because the total was over £30, but Sainsbury's have told me that they've removed the £30 limit for phone payments, so seems unlikely)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,082Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin