Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 15th Jul 17, 10:15 AM
    • 1,635Posts
    • 356Thanks
    Chomeur
    Santander 123 Lite offers 5% cashback on mobile payments
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:15 AM
    Santander 123 Lite offers 5% cashback on mobile payments 15th Jul 17 at 10:15 AM
    Can anyone find this on the Santander website?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/banking/2017/07/santander-123-lite-offers-5-cashback-on-mobile-payments?_ga=2.137883192.980067462.1500021314-1674431099.1491403311
Page 1
    • badger09
    • By badger09 15th Jul 17, 11:29 AM
    • 5,127 Posts
    • 4,339 Thanks
    badger09
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:29 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:29 AM
    The article is dated today, 15 July and begins 'From Monday....'

Suggest you check Santander website on Monday
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 16th Jul 17, 2:46 PM
    • 2,248 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    surreysaver
    • 16th Jul 17, 2:46 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 2:46 PM
    I've opened one, with the intention it becomes a donor account once the cashback has been paid.
    In fact, this has probably come at a good time to provide a temporary replacement for my AmEx 1% cashback.
    It appears that everywhere that accepts contactless will accept it up to £100 (above £30 your phone will need to be unlocked).
    I was wondering are there many places that accept Android Pay for bill payments or online? Or is it possible to find out what the pseudo-Visa number, expiry date and CCV for the Android Pay account are and use those for setting up payments?
    Last edited by surreysaver; 16-07-2017 at 5:03 PM.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 17th Jul 17, 2:19 PM
    • 1,635 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    Chomeur
    • 17th Jul 17, 2:19 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 2:19 PM
    I've opened one, with the intention it becomes a donor account once the cashback has been paid.
    In fact, this has probably come at a good time to provide a temporary replacement for my AmEx 1% cashback.
    It appears that everywhere that accepts contactless will accept it up to £100 (above £30 your phone will need to be unlocked).
    I was wondering are there many places that accept Android Pay for bill payments or online? Or is it possible to find out what the pseudo-Visa number, expiry date and CCV for the Android Pay account are and use those for setting up payments?
    Originally posted by surreysaver
    Full terms are now posted. I've converted my 123 account to a lite one for this. Sounds like you're a bit of a pro.
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 17th Jul 17, 2:21 PM
    • 2,248 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    surreysaver
    • 17th Jul 17, 2:21 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 2:21 PM
    Full terms are now posted. I've converted my 123 account to a lite one for this. Sounds like you're a bit of a pro.
    Originally posted by Chomeur
    I didn't think of converting my Everyday to a Lite. I only opened the Everyday a couple of weeks ago to act as a donor!
    • karlie88
    • By karlie88 17th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    • 8,281 Posts
    • 105,934 Thanks
    karlie88
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    Monzo and Revolut - aka prepaid debit cards.

If done correctly, you could earn hundreds of pounds in cashback.
    Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 17th Jul 17, 6:33 PM
    • 2,248 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    surreysaver
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:33 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:33 PM
    But surely Santander would cotton on, and claim its being abused or something and refuse to pay even bona-fide cashback?
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 17th Jul 17, 6:53 PM
    • 29,400 Posts
    • 17,187 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:53 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:53 PM
    But surely Santander would cotton on, and claim its being abused or something and refuse to pay even bona-fide cashback?
    History* has shown us that they're not always quick off the mark though!

* Lloyds Save The Change still paid sums for savings account deposits by debit card at launch. Nationwide paid ridiculous sums to multiple switchers via their RAF scheme over the years. Egg Money paid £200 a year in cashback just for BACS transfers out (you'll remember that one?). Some banks have limits to numbers of accounts that can be held, and then don't apply them! YB/CB had a switching incentive with no limit to the number of times you could use it (many here were into double figures!). Etc. Etc. Etc.
    Last edited by YorkshireBoy; 17-07-2017 at 7:00 PM.
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 17th Jul 17, 7:02 PM
    • 2,248 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    surreysaver
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:02 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:02 PM
    Ha! Yes I remember the Egg Money one. It's only 10 days ago my descendant Amex cashback stopped paying 1%! I do miss the Egg Money super balance transfer card paying 3.2% (I think) interest on a positive balance!

I'm just worried because Santander us my main bank with a brilliant mortgage, and I know loyalty means nothing to banks, I didn't want to upset my relationship with them!
    • Marvo5
    • By Marvo5 17th Jul 17, 7:04 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    Marvo5
    On another tack, can both holders of a joint Santander 1-2-3 lite account have a 5% regular saver or only one of them?
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 17th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    • 29,400 Posts
    • 17,187 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    Ha! Yes I remember the Egg Money one. It's only 10 days ago my descendant Amex cashback stopped paying 1%! I do miss the Egg Money super balance transfer card paying 3.2% (I think) interest on a positive balance!
    After BR tax, yes. It was 4% AER gross on up to £99,999.99

But we didn't use it...why would we when they had that super 6.3% AER Egg Savings Account? No wonder it didn't last!
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 17th Jul 17, 7:08 PM
    • 2,248 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    surreysaver
    Having re-read the Santander Lite conditions, there is a clause in there allowing them to change the conditions! But could transferring money to a Monzo Card be classed as a purchase or service?
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 17th Jul 17, 7:19 PM
    • 2,248 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    surreysaver
    I'm looking at this Monzo thing. Is it literally as easy as getting a Monzo Card, putting £100 (for example) on it per day via Android Pay for the next 70 days, and earning £350 cashback? Is it that simple? Obviously I'll end up with £7k on my Monzo Card, but I could just spend that over the next year or wait for them to do current accounts.
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 17th Jul 17, 9:15 PM
    • 2,301 Posts
    • 2,815 Thanks
    ceredigion
    Post office : online saver. Just a thought
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 17th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 1,635 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    Chomeur
    [QUOTE=surreysaver;72851119But could transferring money to a Monzo Card be classed as a purchase or service?[/QUOTE]

The precise terms are "Eligible purchases are purchases of goods and services". You could wash £10,000 a day through your Monzo and Santander accounts with Android Pay and hope that Santander aren't going to notice that none of this was actually for goods or services and that they will pay you £35000 for all your trouble at the end, but it's not going to happen is it?
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 17th Jul 17, 9:59 PM
    • 2,248 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    surreysaver
    Is funding my Monzo Card not a 'service', then?
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 17th Jul 17, 10:03 PM
    • 2,248 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    surreysaver
    Post office : online saver. Just a thought
    Originally posted by ceredigion
    I've been waiting nearly a month for my first Direct Debit into my PO Online Saver. By the time it was all sorted out it would be 30th September.
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 17th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    • 1,635 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    Chomeur
    Is funding my Monzo Card not a 'service', then?
    Monzo is providing a service but you're not purchasing any service from them are you?
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 17th Jul 17, 10:35 PM
    • 2,248 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    surreysaver
    Monzo is providing a service but you're not purchasing any service from them are you?
    Originally posted by Chomeur
    Mmmmm. I see what you mean. Do you think Santander will see what you mean? I wonder if they'll give a running total of cashback earnt, then it would be possible to do a trial purchase of a service
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 18th Jul 17, 2:44 PM
    • 1,635 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    Chomeur
    Mmmmm. I see what you mean. Do you think Santander will see what you mean? I wonder if they'll give a running total of cashback earnt, then it would be possible to do a trial purchase of a service
    Yes. Almost certainly not.

Separately I would like to program Android Pay to cycle through a number of my credit cards at the start of each month to ensure that each is used once a month so that a payment on the direct debit is taken so I meet the requirements of each of my bank accounts to get interest/incentive payment whatever. But I expect the capability for doing that is a long way off yet...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,391Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin