Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 15th Jul 17, 7:16 AM
    • 1,089Posts
    • 168Thanks
    littlerock
    software to convert photos to drawings
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:16 AM
    software to convert photos to drawings 15th Jul 17 at 7:16 AM
    I am writing a short book and would like to convert sections of some photos I have taken into black and white line drawings. I used to have this as an option on an early photo handling package but the options to do this on my admittedly getting-on version of PSE (10) , do not produce very satisfactory results. Is there a simple software package I could use.
Page 1
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 15th Jul 17, 7:30 AM
    • 5,921 Posts
    • 5,121 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:30 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:30 AM
    Hi,

well I just put your post title into google, and got over 3.5 million results.

You could maybe try that, know nothing about the process, so can't recommend a particular one.

Good luck.
    Y'all take care now.
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 15th Jul 17, 8:10 AM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    littlerock
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:10 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:10 AM
    I want something which will help me to reduce a section of a coloured photo to something like an architect's drawing. Many of the packages which convert to line art retain the tonal shades. My book is technical and I want to lose these tones pretty much.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 15th Jul 17, 9:31 AM
    • 1,913 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:31 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:31 AM
    Here is a link to a tutorial that I used to produce a satisfactory (to me) architects style drawing from a colour photo. I used PS CS6 and I am not sure if it will work in PSE 10 but might be worth a look.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Jul 17, 9:37 AM
    • 59,231 Posts
    • 345,796 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:37 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:37 AM
    How good the results are will be subjective.

I've used free software easily enough and it suited my needs in the past.

www.getpaint.net

Download the software.
    Open your image and choose Effects, Artistic - then choose pencil sketch.

Two simple sliders let you choose how "thick" the lines are - and if you want any colour to remain or not.

Free, easy, does what it says on the tin.

Here is a photo I just uploaded and turned into a drawing in under 20 seconds right now:

https://s1.postimg.org/8ctdt6qj3/Parasol_073322723_Drawing.jpg

gibfrces0
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 15-07-2017 at 9:40 AM.
    • fenlander_uk
    • By fenlander_uk 15th Jul 17, 12:38 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    fenlander_uk
    • 15th Jul 17, 12:38 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 12:38 PM
    Here is a link to a tutorial that I used to produce a satisfactory (to me) architects style drawing from a colour photo. I used PS CS6 and I am not sure if it will work in PSE 10 but might be worth a look.
    Originally posted by Le_Kirk
    I tried this in PSE10 and most of it works well. There are 2 things you can't do in the way shown in the tutorial but they can be worked around:
    1) Start by adjusting the vertical alignment and the vertical perspective using PSE's alignment and perspective correction tools.
    2) Next, create a frame and border using resize canvas.
    Then do everything else as in the tutorial.
    The picture used in the tutorial works well, but I imagine the success of the 'find edges' filter will depend on the photo.
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 15th Jul 17, 12:44 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    littlerock
    • 15th Jul 17, 12:44 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 12:44 PM
    I tried to download getpaint.net but everytime I click on download on its tool bar, I get a load of unwanted software slabbed across my screen on top of it prompting me to download that first. So far I have been unable to actually reach the getpaint product itself because of all the bloatware which pops up on top it. Plus the screen tabs they display have no x/off button.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to retrieve the getpaint download option from under all the unwanted software.
    • hans 2
    • By hans 2 15th Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    hans 2
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    https://www.dotpdn.com/files/paint.net.4.0.16.install.zip
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Jul 17, 1:28 PM
    • 25,303 Posts
    • 10,045 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:28 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:28 PM
    No idea what your clicking it works fine here...

https://www.dotpdn.com/files/paint.net.4.0.16.install.zip

Teach me not to refresh pages before posting, beaten to it

These are direct downloads....
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 15th Jul 17, 1:35 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    littlerock
    Got it......
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 15th Jul 17, 1:43 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    littlerock
    PasturesNew was there any particular setting you used to get the bricks to appear individually. I have just had a go and it is still a bit "tonal".
    • somersethillbilly
    • By somersethillbilly 15th Jul 17, 2:11 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    somersethillbilly
    Fotosketcher has worked well for me.

http://fotosketcher.com/
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 15th Jul 17, 5:33 PM
    • 4,831 Posts
    • 9,538 Thanks
    I have spoken
    Why not using tracing paper placed over the photo, draw what you want in ink then scan/photo that?
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 15th Jul 17, 8:28 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    littlerock
    I find it difficult to trace over a coloured photo as there is too much going on, well in my photos at any rate........
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

911Posts Today

6,893Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin