Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • The Maestro
    • By The Maestro 15th Jul 17, 3:35 AM
    • 48Posts
    • 4Thanks
    The Maestro
    Is there a point to claiming child benefit for 2nd child?
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:35 AM
    Is there a point to claiming child benefit for 2nd child? 15th Jul 17 at 3:35 AM
    Hi,

My wife is filling in forms to claim child benefit for out 2nd child (just born). Is there any point in this?

My salary is 56K but usually ends up around 70K with bonuses and overtime. As I understand it I just pay back any child benefit for our 1st child back in tax. The only reason we even claim it is so that she can get NI credits so that she may one day get a pension,

Is there any benefit to us to claim for a 2nd child?
Page 1
    • Tacosss1985
    • By Tacosss1985 15th Jul 17, 4:21 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tacosss1985
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:21 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:21 AM
    I don't know your personal circumstances but for my new house as part of ID for my child to move in with me I had to provide his birth certificate and a bank statement to show I was getting CB for him and was responsible for him so for that purpose I'd say yes what's the harm it could do if you did? If you ever come across my situation it will help!
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 15th Jul 17, 8:12 AM
    • 4,609 Posts
    • 2,907 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:12 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:12 AM
    I'd still claim. The money could be put into an account that gains interest. Plus if she didn't she'd only get NI credits until the first child turns 12, if she adds the second child she'd get credits until that child turns 12.

I'm not really sure what the previous poster is referring to though, I've never had to show anyone I claim CHB in order for my child to live with me.
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 15th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    • 3,432 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    As DS says, you could put it away and get a small amount of interest.

But if you don't want to deal with the tax charge - you can just give up payments for both children (you still claim for the 2nd) and your partner will still get the NI credits as you have a claim.

IQ
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 15th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    • 23,124 Posts
    • 13,400 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    Pay enough into your pension so that the adjusted net income enables you to keep the CB?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/sep/28/child-benefit-pension-contributions-higher-earners
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 15th Jul 17, 1:27 PM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 1,742 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:27 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:27 PM
    If she's relying on the NI credits for her state pension, the second child will add additional years to that so she should claim CB for the second child for at least one year. You get them for as long as you have a child under 12 so if there are 3 years (for example) between your children, by not claiming for the second child she would miss out on 3 years of credits.

I don't know if there is any other way to add the credits but I don't think you have to stay registered for CB forever! I received it for our first child before they changed the eligibility rules, then we had and registered our second child and they changed the rules so we ended up paying some back. I am no longer receiving CB because of the faff paying it back, but I've checked my NI record and it shows that I will receive credits until my youngest is 12 so obviously just doing it for one year is enough.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,580Posts Today

6,707Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin