Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Melhindley
    • By Melhindley 15th Jul 17, 1:57 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Melhindley
    Missing payments due to HMRC error!
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:57 AM
    Missing payments due to HMRC error! 15th Jul 17 at 1:57 AM
    Rang HMRC to change bank account payments are sent to. Following payment delayed (as expected) but I did receive it into new account.
    However, the following 2 payments were not paid! Rang customer services to be told the system had the new bank account number but the old bank account sort code! How can this happen after a successful payment? I haven't changed details since so it wasn't my error! Now I'm told the missing payments (over £400!) will be spread over the rest of the years weekly payments (an extra £4 a week) instead of getting the missed payments in full! I have 4 children and no money for last 2 weeks! And now no possibility of getting that money paid to me! How the hell am I expected to survive?! It's caused horrendous financial hardship but their 'helpline' cannot help! Has anyone experienced this please?
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 15th Jul 17, 7:59 AM
    • 4,334 Posts
    • 2,738 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:59 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:59 AM
    The helpline cannot control how payments are calculated and when they are paid out. You could try a formal complaint but I think it's unlikely to change anything.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 15th Jul 17, 11:27 AM
    • 22,015 Posts
    • 12,698 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:27 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:27 AM
    I think it's unlikely to change anything
    I am wondering why not?

Try a formal complaint and write to your MP.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 15th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    • 4,334 Posts
    • 2,738 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 15th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    I am wondering why not?

Try a formal complaint and write to your MP.
    Originally posted by xylophone
    Because tax credits is a yearly entitlement so as long as she is paid her award for the year then she's had what she's entitled to.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 15th Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    • 22,015 Posts
    • 12,698 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    Because tax credits is a yearly entitlement so as long as she is paid her award for the year then she's had what she's entitled to.
    Well yes, but the fact remains that the OP was expecting her normal payments and it seems entirely the fault of HMRC that the error occurred and hardship resulted.

I think that the OP is fully entitled to be put in the position she would have been had HMRC been competent in their administration.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 15th Jul 17, 1:40 PM
    • 4,334 Posts
    • 2,738 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:40 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:40 PM
    Well yes, but the fact remains that the OP was expecting her normal payments and it seems entirely the fault of HMRC that the error occurred and hardship resulted.

I think that the OP is fully entitled to be put in the position she would have been had HMRC been competent in their administration.
    Originally posted by xylophone
    Yes but just because there has been a fault doesn't mean the OP will necessarily get what she wants. I did suggest she complains, but in my experience it does little good. it is not a person that determines how payments are made and when. The system simply calculates how much is due and divides that's into payments.

They previously used manual payments if there were issues but that practice cause a lot of overpayments and isn't used anymore as far as I'm aware.
    Last edited by Darksparkle; 15-07-2017 at 1:45 PM.
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 15th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 753 Thanks
    parkrunner
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    Rang HMRC to change bank account payments are sent to. Following payment delayed (as expected) but I did receive it into new account.
    However, the following 2 payments were not paid! Rang customer services to be told the system had the new bank account number but the old bank account sort code! How can this happen after a successful payment? I haven't changed details since so it wasn't my error! Now I'm told the missing payments (over £400!) will be spread over the rest of the years weekly payments (an extra £4 a week) instead of getting the missed payments in full! I have 4 children and no money for last 2 weeks! And now no possibility of getting that money paid to me! How the hell am I expected to survive?! It's caused horrendous financial hardship but their 'helpline' cannot help! Has anyone experienced this please?
    Originally posted by Melhindley
    Something's wrong with those numbers. £4 a week would take over 100 weeks to pay the £400+
    • Melhindley
    • By Melhindley 15th Jul 17, 7:00 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Melhindley
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:00 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:00 PM
    Thanks for responses. Yes £4 a week would take a long time to pay off what's owed but that's all my weekly payments have gone up by now they've been adjusted! Something isn't right. I understand it's done by computers but they surely can't do this to people when it's their fault?
    They've sent it to the referral team but I was meant to be contacted Thursday of the outcome but nothing. I've sent a formal complaint too. Doubt I'll hear for ages and the guy on the helpline did some check to see if I qualified for financial hardship help from them but I don't meet the criteria apparently. Surely I'm the definition of someone in financial hardship?
    I've called them about 4 ones and each person said different things and couldn't explain why other members of staff had told me different.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,048Posts Today

8,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin