Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • punk84
    • By punk84 15th Jul 17, 1:15 AM
    • 235Posts
    • 33Thanks
    punk84
    Not sure how energy providers work for new tennants
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:15 AM
    Not sure how energy providers work for new tennants 15th Jul 17 at 1:15 AM
    Hi. Me and my partner have just moved into a lovely flat. We are hoping to buy outr own place in 12 months. We have had our sky and internet connected. Contacted Council for their tax. But how does our energy work? How do we know who is the best provider? neither of us have lived aWay from parents so its all new to us... We have taken all meter readings from the date of our tenancy start. Do we just contact the cheapest provider? how do we know who is the cheapest as we have no frame of refrence! thanks
Page 1
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 15th Jul 17, 8:45 AM
    • 26,625 Posts
    • 12,875 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:45 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:45 AM
    You have no option initially but to set up an account with the existing supplier as you are on a legally binding 'deemed contract' with that supplier.

Find out who the supplier is(from letting agent if no correspondence left addressed to The Occupier) and send them those meter readings you took.

Once the account is set up you are free to switch to a supplier of your choice. Estimate your energy consumption and use a comparison website to find the best supplier.

What about water account?
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 15th Jul 17, 9:21 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:21 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:21 AM
    If its a flat check that the meter is an eco 7 meter.Many flats are all electric..I have been into many flats where the occupiers have no idea about the day and night readings on these meters..The meter would show day/night and total and these must be understood to avoid big billing errors.Only the day and night reads are needed.
    In my view the best provider is the cheapest tariff and standing charges for your useage , or even a no standing charge if its very low, I go onto the Cheap Energy Clubs comp site where they show them all in order with customer ratings and also pay a cashback on many of the tariffs, usually from the big 6
    Last edited by House Martin; 15-07-2017 at 9:29 AM.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 15th Jul 17, 4:32 PM
    • 5,442 Posts
    • 2,534 Thanks
    LeeUK
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:32 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:32 PM
    If its a flat check that the meter is an eco 7 meter.Many flats are all electric..
    Originally posted by House Martin
    That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation.

I'd say most flats round here are set up exactly like a house for services and utilities.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 15th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    • 3,387 Posts
    • 1,331 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    Hi. Me and my partner have just moved into a lovely flat. We are hoping to buy outr own place in 12 months. We have had our sky and internet connected. Contacted Council for their tax. But how does our energy work? How do we know who is the best provider? neither of us have lived aWay from parents so its all new to us... We have taken all meter readings from the date of our tenancy start. Do we just contact the cheapest provider? how do we know who is the cheapest as we have no frame of refrence! thanks
    Originally posted by punk84
    You'll have to register with the existing supplier(s) first.
    The you can switch supplier if you want.
    This MSE article explains how to find the best deal for you.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity

Good luck!
    Last edited by footyguy; 15-07-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

1,516Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin