Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • foolofbeans
    • By foolofbeans 14th Jul 17, 11:56 PM
    • 317Posts
    • 397Thanks
    foolofbeans
    Quote given and then charged for
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:56 PM
    Quote given and then charged for 14th Jul 17 at 11:56 PM
    I was asked by my boss to find out the cost of a solicitor to carry out some work on a lease.
    I contacted three solicitors via email and explained the issue and asked for a quote of their estimated costs and time.
    All solicitors went through some of the issues and gave me estimated costs. As it turned out we didn't need to use a solicitor.
    Two months down the line I got a letter detailing charges for one of the solicitors. it suggests that the advice given in the response email was chargeable at approx £120.
    I queried the amount by phone and was told that it would be dealt with. Two years later I have had a nasty email saying I still owe the money and now a letter from their debt department.
    What is the best way to respond? I have a feeling they may take me to court and would like to avoid that if possible.
    When does a quote become chargeable?
Page 1
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 15th Jul 17, 12:12 AM
    • 8,651 Posts
    • 24,386 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    • 15th Jul 17, 12:12 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 12:12 AM
    Ask them to show where you've agreed for chargeable work to take place. If you want a quote, you have to provide details to them, they should know that.

I've had legal fees as low as £100 going up to a lot of money in various matters, highlighting why you went to get quotes from 3 different firms.

Whenever I've had to use a solicitor all fees have been agreed up front. I don't think they'd get far by taking the matter to court as long as all your paperwork is in order.

Standard rule; no contract = no money.
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Call me Remainer or Romaniac, but not Remoaner. It's insulting and I have the right to have my voice heard too.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
    • foolofbeans
    • By foolofbeans 15th Jul 17, 11:29 AM
    • 317 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    foolofbeans
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:29 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:29 AM
    Thank you CKhalvashi.
    I was just worried as I did outline the issues in an email and the solicitor did go through it in a reply email and then told me the hourly rate and estimated time. I shall respond to them asking where I actually commissioned the work from them.
    Quite shocking that a solicitor can behave in this way.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 15th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    • 11,278 Posts
    • 8,492 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    Thank you CKhalvashi.
    I was just worried as I did outline the issues in an email and the solicitor did go through it in a reply email and then told me the hourly rate and estimated time. I shall respond to them asking where I actually commissioned the work from them.
    Quite shocking that a solicitor can behave in this way.
    Originally posted by foolofbeans
    They need to inform you a consultation is chargeable and what the conditions are.

Contact the solicitors in question and ask them what their complaints procedure is. If they dont subsequently cancel the charge after making a complaint, complain to the ombudsman.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,299Posts Today

8,138Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin