Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • welshwizard1927
    • By welshwizard1927 14th Jul 17, 9:31 PM
    • 100Posts
    • 68Thanks
    welshwizard1927
    Remortgage query
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:31 PM
    Remortgage query 14th Jul 17 at 9:31 PM
    I am currently in the process of remortgaging.

Remortgage was due to complete today (Fri 14th). However, solicitors messed up and forgot to call for the funds from new lender (they've admitted fault and apologised). Completion now rearranged for Tues 18th.

However...repayment on existing mortgage normally made on 16th of every month.

My question: do I have to make the repayment on 16th or can it be consolidated into figure given in redemption statement?

Current lender (Bank of Ireland) couldn't give me a straight answer save to say that I wouldn't be in arrears as long as payment was made within calendar month. Broker useless and clueless. Solicitors...well see above.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Page 1
    • Lilla D
    • By Lilla D 14th Jul 17, 10:42 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    Lilla D
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:42 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:42 PM
    Make the payment as normal and get a proportionate refund after completing the remortgage. The new lender is unlikely to charge you until some time next month anyway. It's better to be safe than sorry with mortgage payments potentially be classified as late/missed.

P.s. Even if you had completed today, I would have advised you not to cancel your direct debit, but let the old lender process the fact that they lost you, even if it means that they take another payment and then refund you. As said, better to be safe than sorry.
    Last edited by Lilla D; 14-07-2017 at 10:45 PM.
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 15th Jul 17, 8:17 AM
    • 32,391 Posts
    • 17,394 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:17 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:17 AM
    Your solicitor will be in receipt of a redemption statement from your current lender which shows the amount to redeem your mortgage and this will also include a daily amount to add on for upto a week, should the redemption not be done on the target date.

This will usually exclude any future payments.

The payment due next week will be debited by your current lender and then refunded back to your account within the two weeks that follow. Either way, it's too late to attempt to cancel the mandate as banks typically require at least three working days' notice.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • welshwizard1927
    • By welshwizard1927 15th Jul 17, 10:03 AM
    • 100 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    welshwizard1927
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:03 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:03 AM
    Thanks kingstreet - direct debit has already been cancelled (it will be processed as a manual payment if it needs to be paid, and BoI have already confirmed that's permissible, provided its paid by end of the month). My question is whether it has to be paid, or whether it can be mopped up in the redemption?
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 15th Jul 17, 10:25 AM
    • 56,252 Posts
    • 49,621 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:25 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:25 AM
    The redemption figure provided at the date of issue to the solicitor will assume that no future payments will be made.
    “Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble”
    ― Warren Buffett
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,740Posts Today

6,110Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin