Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LadyMorticia
    • By LadyMorticia 14th Jul 17, 8:49 PM
    • 19,110Posts
    • 86,479Thanks
    LadyMorticia
    "Your Windows License Will Expire Soon"
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:49 PM
    "Your Windows License Will Expire Soon" 14th Jul 17 at 8:49 PM
    Hey everyone.

I have a Lenovo Ideapad 510P. It shipped with Windows 8. It's about 4 years old.

Earlier this year, the harddrive decided to give up the ghost and I paid the local computer guy to install a new one for me (it ended up being a lower capacity harddrive, but annoyed me but c'est la vie.)

When he installed the new HDD he put Windows 10 on it.

Everything was working fine, but now I keep getting a pop up which says "Your Windows licence will expire soon. Please activate in settings" or something to that effect.

I went into settings and it says it's Windows 10 Home but it also says "windows is activated using your organization's activation service." I'm not entirely sure what this means.

Does this mean that the copy of Windows 10 I have isn't legit? Or, if it is, how do I get rid of this annoying message which is now popping up every 5 minutes and is becoming very obtrusive.

If it isn't a legit copy, where is the best place to buy a legit copy from?

Thank you.
    November wins: Mighty Micros: Spider-Man Vs Scorpion pack
    Win £2017 in 2017: £1608.79/£2017
    50 Challenges: 39/50
Page 2
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 15th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Do they? I'd have thought the vast majority of Windows domestic users don't ever buy commercial software apart from games and possibly anti-virus programs.

There's Linux software available to do everything that the average user needs to do.
    Originally posted by emptybox
    a majority of Windows Domestic users would buy commercial software as that is what they are told they need.
    it is only tech savvy users that use alternatives as we know better. it is the same with printer ink. The amount of people i see that moan on the cost of ink and when i tell them just to use compatibles they say ' but it says i must use genuine inks or it will break my printer'
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 15th Jul 17, 2:11 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    emptybox
    a majority of Windows Domestic users would buy commercial software as that is what they are told they need.
    it is only tech savvy users that use alternatives as we know better. it is the same with printer ink. The amount of people i see that moan on the cost of ink and when i tell them just to use compatibles they say ' but it says i must use genuine inks or it will break my printer'
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    Hmm? I can see people with children at school or college might be persuaded to go out and buy the cheaper student edition of Microsoft Office, but I can't see anyone buying the full version unless they are in business.

I think most people use what came with their machine or use free tools like Google Docs etc.

When I got my first XP computer in 2002 it came with the Microsoft Works suite pre-installed. When I moved to Windows 7 I installed that same Works suite, and the same when I moved to Windows 8.
    It won't work in Windows 10 so I made the move to Libre Office (including for my business).

For simple photo editing on Windows I'm still using the Arcsoft Photo Impression 3.0 that came free with my Epson scanner in 2002. It still works fine in Windows 10 64bit.
    In Linux I use GIMP, and I'd use that in Windows too, if the Arcsoft prog ever stops working.

I would have thought I was typical?
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 15th Jul 17, 2:19 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Hmm? I can see people with children at school or college might be persuaded to go out and buy the cheaper student edition of Microsoft Office, but I can't see anyone buying the full version unless they are in business.

I think most people use what came with their machine or use free tools like Google Docs etc.

When I got my first XP computer in 2002 it came with the Microsoft Works suite pre-installed. When I moved to Windows 7 I installed that same Works suite, and the same when I moved to Windows 8.
    It won't work in Windows 10 so I made the move to Libre Office (including for my business).

For simple photo editing on Windows I'm still using the Arcsoft Photo Impression 3.0 that came free with my Epson scanner in 2002. It still works fine in Windows 10 64bit.
    In Linux I use GIMP, and I'd use that in Windows too, if the Arcsoft prog ever stops working.

I would have thought I was typical?
    Originally posted by emptybox
    people do as that is what they think they have too, unless your tech savvy they you dont know of alternatives or how to get the alternatives. this is why MS charge so much as they know they target the gullible people that know no better, even MS support is shocking as you get 2 free support helps with any OS licence and then after that you are charged £29 which you must pay before they chat with you and 9/120 they will just go through a total reinstall of the OS
    • HoofeHearted
    • By HoofeHearted 15th Jul 17, 2:57 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    HoofeHearted
    Don't know what the Win7 container file is but I've got a Win 7/10 dual boot - with 10 created from 7. The update process didn't/shouldn't have consumed the win 7 license. Both of mine are running fine.
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    That is what I did when Win 10 became available.
    Both are still working fine for me as well.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 16th Jul 17, 11:50 PM
    • 14,896 Posts
    • 127,244 Thanks
    zagubov
    A major bugbear in my job is when students hand in work in non-standard form. It used to be they'd use MSWorks ad I'd have to hunt down the last machine in the building that could open it. Or they'd use Prezi instead of powerpoint so we don't have a version we can send to be checked by external authorities.
    Or, using office-like equivalents but not saving in an office version.

It's like waiting for a kidney transplant and find they've given you an extra heart instead because it's a more important and more vital organ.

In the education sector, how can we trust people to learn to understand a complex world when they struggle with simple things like "give me a Word document on a certain day"?
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • Jivesinger
    • By Jivesinger 17th Jul 17, 12:19 AM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    Jivesinger
    In the education sector, how can we trust people to learn to understand a complex world when they struggle with simple things like "give me a Word document on a certain day"?
    Originally posted by zagubov
    Unless you give them Office for free, I'm not sure that will be a 'simple' task for people who don't have finances or an alternative way to easily access Word.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 17th Jul 17, 6:49 AM
    • 1,850 Posts
    • 2,352 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Considering that there are now online versions available to use for free, there is really no reason why people should struggle to get the right format
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 17th Jul 17, 11:47 AM
    • 14,896 Posts
    • 127,244 Thanks
    zagubov
    Unless you give them Office for free, I'm not sure that will be a 'simple' task for people who don't have finances or an alternative way to easily access Word.
    Originally posted by Jivesinger
    I think some universities do make it available. In fact according to the main part of the website, it sounds like most do.

Or at the very least give them access to free ones whose output can be saved in an office version.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,387Posts Today

8,404Users online

Martin's Twitter