Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Blily
    • By Blily 14th Jul 17, 8:39 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Blily
    Outstanding council tax bill
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:39 PM
    Outstanding council tax bill 14th Jul 17 at 8:39 PM
    In 2007 I moved in to a flat with my ex partner, previous to that I lived in sheltered accommodation due to being in care as a teenager. My ex partner was abusive, controlling and I moved out in late 2007 after being hospitalised. When we moved in together I was unemployed and we made a joint claim for JSA. My ex partner controlled everything and as a young care leaver I was very naive. When I moved out of the address the address was used as a correspondence address as I had no other address to give. Despite this I was classed as no fixed address with the Job Centre and our joint claim was seperated. In 2009 I moved into my first tenancy and paid council tax with no issues. I continue to pay council tax now with my husband in our new home. I am married, have a four year old son and another on the way. Today I received a letter addressed to myself and my ex. It says there is an outstanding debt on the account for my ex partner's property. I rang the council immediately to explain I did not live in the property for the time stated. They advised both myself and my ex was liable for the debt due to the joint claim in 2007. I did mention I was no fixed abode and the advisor stated this could be fraud as it was not declared! I made the Job Centre aware in 2007 but I can't confirm the dates as it is ten years ago. I have no idea what to do. I have been told to pay it or debt action will happen. I have emailed Citizen's advice but I'd like to know if anyone has been in a similar situation? I cannot contact my ex for obvious reasons and I am actually anxious that this will cause my ex to try and contact me.
Page 1
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 14th Jul 17, 8:46 PM
    • 35,650 Posts
    • 45,891 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:46 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:46 PM
    Can you afford to pay it
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • Blily
    • By Blily 14th Jul 17, 9:25 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Blily
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:25 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:25 PM
    The debt is for roughly £299. We can afford to pay the debt on a payment plan, we think, but we haven't discussed this yet with the council. The debt is on hold for two weeks while I send a statement.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 14th Jul 17, 9:47 PM
    • 35,650 Posts
    • 45,891 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:47 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:47 PM
    To be honest i would just pay it, its over and done with and from then you wont need to give it a second thought.

No point in strining it out stressing and mithering over it, affecting family etc. Etc.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

857Posts Today

6,602Users online

Martin's Twitter