Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 14th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    • 472Posts
    • 172Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    Soft close hinges
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    Soft close hinges 14th Jul 17 at 8:36 PM
    The kitchen cupboards make a bit of a racket when they're closed. I've tried felt pads, rubber pads etc off ebay but they're not effective. I was looking at replacing the hinges for soft-close ones.

Only recently I discovered that the hinges fitted are quick release ones - very useful when removing cupboard doors, and even more useful when a drawer jams shut because Swmbo puts too many items in it. No idea where the previous owners got the cupboards drom.

Could I just swap to quick-release soft-closing hinges? Are hinge sizes standard? I had a quick google and found only toilet seat hinges.
Page 1
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 14th Jul 17, 9:10 PM
    • 2,383 Posts
    • 2,978 Thanks
    ceredigion
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:10 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:10 PM
    Why do you feel the need to change the hinge ?
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 15th Jul 17, 1:38 AM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 1,946 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:38 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:38 AM
    You can get soft close pistons to fit just above the hinges - This could work out quite a bit cheaper than replacing the hinges. https://www.catchesandlatches.co.uk/soft-close-damper-and-bracket-set-pack-of-10-h35637595

And yes, most hinges are a "standard" size.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 15th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    • 2,199 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    I researched soft close hinges for what seemed like week but was probably only a couple of days. Actually bought some but didn't do the job as the door was the wrong size/weight and one door wouldn't close and one took an age to close, very, very softly. I ended up with shock absorbers (soft close pistons, as described above). No need to mess with hinges at all. Everybody happy!
    • Private Church
    • By Private Church 15th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 1,330 Thanks
    Private Church
    • 15th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    I researched soft close hinges for what seemed like week but was probably only a couple of days. Actually bought some but didn't do the job as the door was the wrong size/weight and one door wouldn't close and one took an age to close, very, very softly. I ended up with shock absorbers (soft close pistons, as described above). No need to mess with hinges at all. Everybody happy!
    Originally posted by Le_Kirk
    Each hinge has a specific measurement from the edge of the door to the centre of the hinge recess and if the old hinge recess is 2mm different it can mean adjacent doors will prevent the door from shutting properly because you run out of door adjustment.

Many hinges are also designed for certain thickness of door , some fully overlay the carcase, others half overlay the carcase and others are inset so flush with a face frame kitchen so it can be a bit of a minefield. Companies such as Blum and Grass are really helpful with guides on which type of hinge is suitable for which applications.. Grass soft close hinges have 3 damper settings (0-1-2) so you don't have any issues with doors taking an eternity to close..
    "If we in Parliament cannot gain personally then there is very little point in us being here"

: Lord Manchester addressing Parliament around 1649.......
    • glennevis
    • By glennevis 15th Jul 17, 3:02 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    glennevis
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:02 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:02 PM
    If your hinges are fairly standard and have a square hole in the body you may be able to retrofit dampers to the existing hinges. No screwing required, they just clip in place on the existing hinge. Try searching Amazon for "973A0500".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,374Posts Today

7,225Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Interesting, most people say they would champion a policy from a party they usually oppose. Yet is anyone brave eno? https://t.co/MWYGHunAqu

• RT @MSE_Deals: The MSE deals team are in the office nice and early to bring you full analysis of all the #BlackFriday deals throughout the?

• RT @MSE_Deals: #BlackFriday UPDATE... We've spotted some of Currys' prices are cheaper online than in its stores, eg, Sonos Play 1 £149 onl?

• Follow Martin