Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • raiiiraiii
    • By raiiiraiii 14th Jul 17, 7:04 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 12Thanks
    raiiiraiii
    Nhs interview advice
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:04 PM
    Nhs interview advice 14th Jul 17 at 7:04 PM
    Hi,

I'm 17 years of age and a 6th form student -currently studying science A Levels.

I have recently received an offer to come to an interview for the position of a medical records administer at a local NHS hospital. The interview is on the 21/07 (next friday).

It's my first ever formal interview which would take place face-to-face (I've had other interviews via video conferencing).

I'm pretty nervous -is there any advice which you could give me?

What type of questions will I be asked?
    What will happen on the day?

I've had lots of previous NHS experience under well-known senior consultants and their teams (2 clinical placements and 1 administrative placement).

I've been offered jobs and interviews of different job sectors, however, this is a position which I would really love to take up. I really want the job!

I've also been placed on a reserve candidate interview list for another role within the NHS which deals with blood donation. Could someone explain what this means in a bit of detail?

All advice and tips welcome.
    Thanks
    Last edited by raiiiraiii; 14-07-2017 at 7:07 PM.
Page 2
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 16th Jul 17, 1:39 AM
    • 37,670 Posts
    • 33,988 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    What I'm really scared about is what would happen if I slip up, stutter and panic in front of them. I mean, I'd be less nervous if there was only one person there but two people would be the death of me.
    Originally posted by raiiiraiii
    You'd stop, take a breath, say "sorry that came out wrong, can I start again" or something similar.

Try to smile when you arrive. Speak clearly, looking at them not at the floor.

Equalities have been mentioned: make sure you know what the protected characteristics are, and think about how they might come into your role. And yes, safeguarding ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 16th Jul 17, 6:13 AM
    • 15,824 Posts
    • 39,539 Thanks
    FBaby
    I'm so nervous!
    Don't be. Sometimes by wanting to do too much, you overload yourself and end up freezing. Yes it is important to have a some rehearsed responses that shows you have prepared and aware of key issues, but being yourself is also very important. It is likely that a number of these questions, you would be able to respond if your friend were asking you without the need to come up with a systematic response.

Do prepare a bit, write down key points in the schemes that have been cited here, and then leave it behind and relax. They will want to speak to a person, not a robot.
    • bagpussbear
    • By bagpussbear 16th Jul 17, 10:04 AM
    • 753 Posts
    • 2,522 Thanks
    bagpussbear
    Wow. Alot of valuable information there! I'll definitely be taking all this into account. Because you're someone who does occasionally participate in the panel for interviews, you obviously do know what you're talking about.

My interview panel will consist of two people: The team coordinator and the manager.

What I'm really scared about is what would happen if I slip up, stutter and panic in front of them. I mean, I'd be less nervous if there was only one person there but two people would be the death of me. And yet I'm the most confident and loud person I could think of.
    Originally posted by raiiiraiii

Well if that happened, you would not be the first, nor the last! I am sure you will be fine. The reality is that most of us have those same fears, however experienced we are at having interviews. I am sure your panel members will do everything they can to bring out the best in you. After all, they want people to do well!

Think of it as a two way conversation, rather than an interview. That change of mindset can help take away nerves a little. Let us know how you get on :-)
    • raiiiraiii
    • By raiiiraiii 16th Jul 17, 12:38 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    raiiiraiii
    Thank you to all for those replies! Some brilliant pieces of advice there.
    • raiiiraiii
    • By raiiiraiii 16th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    raiiiraiii
    I used to be a nurse. I think NHS interviews are usually marked so make sure you treat it a bit like an exam. Think of it as a ten point question so say five things. Dress as you would for work. It helps if you look the part. If the job description gives a dress code take it as a hint what to wear for the interview. I would expect an equality and diversity question and a data protection one. Remember most data is computerised but talk a bit abou telephone confidentiality.

It is important to have a couple of questions ready. It is o.k. to ask about time off for study leave or other practical considerations. Remember last impressions are as important as first impressions. I remember once telling someone the interview was over and they ran out of the room like a startled rabbit.

I hope you get the job but if you don't ask if you could have some feed back for future use.
    Originally posted by fraserbooks
    It's my first interview so I guess I should try my best and hope I get the job. I'd be the happiest person in the world if I did ace the interview. When would they tell me if I have got the job or not?
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 16th Jul 17, 12:45 PM
    • 18,695 Posts
    • 18,987 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    They should tell you about this in the interview. If they don't, ask them about next steps and when you will hear. (Very very common question, which all candidates should ask.)
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,270Posts Today

9,487Users online

Martin's Twitter