Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 14th Jul 17, 6:48 PM
    • 7,872Posts
    • 13,293Thanks
    Dreamnine
    Do you ever forget to take your medication?
    • 14th Jul 17, 6:48 PM
    Do you ever forget to take your medication? 14th Jul 17 at 6:48 PM
    I'm on 6 main medications; 3 when I get up and 3 at bedtime. I'm on various others, sprays etc. which I take ad hoc during the day.

But I've found myself in the morning sometimes wondering whether I took my meds or not. Normally, it's quite routine: I have a wash, put on my clothes, brush my teeth then take my pills.

But I'm sure forgetfulness has overcome me at least once.

The ones at night I never forget.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
Page 2
    • Happyhousewife
    • By Happyhousewife 15th Jul 17, 12:17 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    Happyhousewife
    Do I ever remember to take it �� rarely ��
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 15th Jul 17, 12:58 AM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 8,551 Thanks
    minimad1970
    My dad has to take quite a lot of tablets and is very forgetful. He uses one of these, his dispenses twice a day.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 15th Jul 17, 1:24 AM
    • 10,169 Posts
    • 18,244 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    I'm supposed to have eye drops every 2 hours- I'm starting to get lax about them, I need to start being strict with myself again.
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit- New 2:1 Graduate! :❤️ MA English begins 09/17
    WFC and happy sponsor for Season 2! 🐝
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 15th Jul 17, 6:25 AM
    • 3,152 Posts
    • 6,526 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I had a pill box once but it fell apart! But I think you're right; I'll perhaps start keeping my morning meds in the living room - that way I won't miss them when I'm having my coffee.
    Originally posted by Dreamnine
    I have quite a lot of meds. I have 2 sets of pill boxes on my bedside table, tastefully marked with purple nail varnish as "M" and "E". It seems to work
    • creative gal
    • By creative gal 15th Jul 17, 8:20 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    creative gal
    I take my meds in the morning, and the blister packs are lined up on the side in the kitchen to minimise me forgetting, as I tend to see them when I have my breakfast, but if I'm feeling a little sleep deprived or forgetful, I have been known to forget to take them.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 15th Jul 17, 8:53 AM
    • 12,318 Posts
    • 11,754 Thanks
    Chris25
    I've deliberately missed my statin before when I had a craving for grapefruit; strange how the two are incompatible.
    I think grapefruit is incompatible with several medicines.

My M-I-L used to take something and wasn't allowed to have grapefruit or blueberries.
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 15th Jul 17, 9:03 AM
    • 6,894 Posts
    • 15,196 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    The trouble with pill boxes is that they are so darn fiddly - no good if my hands are playing up!

Apart from a few, I vary my tablets everyday. The trick is to have them close at hand so I have blister packs of various strength painkillers all over the place. I must look like a junkie to those who don't me so well!!

The hardest one to remeber is the weekly Alendronic acid, and because it gives me indigestion I'm reluctantant to take it anyway!
    Should have joined Borrowmydoggy.com
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 15th Jul 17, 9:38 AM
    • 741 Posts
    • 1,363 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    I had 4 meds, recently dropped to 3, but now told i need another.
    2 i have to take at least half hour before having any breakfast, and i've not to sit down while i'm waiting. So they're easy to remember, first thing i do when i come down stairs. But during the day i can't remember whether i've taken them or not.
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 15th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    • 6,894 Posts
    • 15,196 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    I had 4 meds, recently dropped to 3, but now told i need another.
    2 i have to take at least half hour before having any breakfast, and i've not to sit down while i'm waiting. So they're easy to remember, first thing i do when i come down stairs. But during the day i can't remember whether i've taken them or not.
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    I often find a couple of rogue ones in my dressing gown pocket!
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 15th Jul 17, 10:21 AM
    • 7,872 Posts
    • 13,293 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    The trouble with pill boxes is that they are so darn fiddly - no good if my hands are playing up!

Apart from a few, I vary my tablets everyday. The trick is to have them close at hand so I have blister packs of various strength painkillers all over the place. I must look like a junkie to those who don't me so well!!

The hardest one to remeber is the weekly Alendronic acid, and because it gives me indigestion I'm reluctantant to take it anyway!
    Originally posted by OldMotherTucker
    I can remember having a big bottle of liquid oxycodone in my house last year....of course I was using it for cancer pain but I wonder how much it was worth on the street.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
    • hunters
    • By hunters 15th Jul 17, 12:07 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 1,648 Thanks
    hunters

Oh my word, thank you, thank you! I take weekly Alendronic and have been blaming the indigestion on my favourite Aldi sausage roll.
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 15th Jul 17, 12:22 PM
    • 6,894 Posts
    • 15,196 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    Oh my word, thank you, thank you! I take weekly Alendronic and have been blaming the indigestion on my favourite Aldi sausage roll.
    Originally posted by hunters
    I used to set the alarm half an hour earlier (if I remembered) take the tablet and go back to sleep but the pharmacist told me not to lie down as this particular acid is reknown for causing reflux especially as you have to take it on an empty stomach and not eat for half an hour (as the acid binds to the calcium in the stomach instaed of the calcium in the blood stream)

If you think about it, the empty stomach has only gastric acid then you add a a bit more acid and bingo! Too much acid = discomfit.

Sometimes these pharmacy reviews can be of benefit - my Gp didn't have time to explain it to me!!
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 15th Jul 17, 12:26 PM
    • 6,894 Posts
    • 15,196 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    I can remember having a big bottle of liquid oxycodone in my house last year....of course I was using it for cancer pain but I wonder how much it was worth on the street.
    I know how much Trammadol goes for - it was very popular where I used to work! I have 100 a month on repeat plus Zapain! Not that I use that amount or sell it illegally!!
    • SparksAlive
    • By SparksAlive 15th Jul 17, 12:26 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    SparksAlive
    I take the contraceptive pill every morning and it's in the cabinet next to my contact lens case - I'm very short sighted so there's no way I can start the morning without putting my lenses in, which means I always see the pills and remember to take one
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 15th Jul 17, 12:35 PM
    • 741 Posts
    • 1,363 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    I used to set the alarm half an hour earlier (if I remembered) take the tablet and go back to sleep but the pharmacist told me not to lie down as this particular acid is reknown for causing reflux especially as you have to take it on an empty stomach and not eat for half an hour (as the acid binds to the calcium in the stomach instaed of the calcium in the blood stream)

If you think about it, the empty stomach has only gastric acid then you add a a bit more acid and bingo! Too much acid = discomfit.

Sometimes these pharmacy reviews can be of benefit - my Gp didn't have time to explain it to me!!
    I've just read the instructions for that Alendronic Acid and you're suppose to take it with a full glass of water, i've only been having a mouth full.
    • hunters
    • By hunters 15th Jul 17, 12:40 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 1,648 Thanks
    hunters
    I've just read the instructions for that Alendronic Acid and you're suppose to take it with a full glass of water, i've only been having a mouth full.
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    Me too

I'm not due back to that clinic until 2019 so I think a visit to the doc is due.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 15th Jul 17, 12:55 PM
    • 5,424 Posts
    • 22,567 Thanks
    Miró
    I have a buzz alarm set on my FitBit tracker which I wear all the time to alert me twice a day. I always carry a few 'spares' of my pills in my purse in case I'm caught out away from home.
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 15th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    • 3,416 Posts
    • 6,352 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    I've deliberately missed my statin before when I had a craving for grapefruit; strange how the two are incompatible.
    I do this as well. Never found out why they are incompatible. Don't know either why I've started craving grapefruit juice - it's got to be pink grapefruit !
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 15th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    • 741 Posts
    • 1,363 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    I don't have a lot of grapefruit, but i eat oranges every day. Now the last hospital appointment i had, she said she was writing to my Gp to suggest he gives me statins. So i wonder is that goodbye to oranges ?
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 15th Jul 17, 5:31 PM
    • 3,894 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    jack_pott
    I forget quite often. When I first went on regular meds I bought a key ring to put them in in case I went out and forgot, but it's not that urgent. When the Dr stopped my meds it was a fortnight before I wound up back on an ambulance.

Never found out why they are incompatible.
    Originally posted by ERICS MUM
    Grapefruit slows the rate that the body eliminates drugs, so it's like taking a larger dose. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefruit%E2%80%93drug_interactions
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,943Posts Today

8,022Users online

Martin's Twitter