Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 14th Jul 17, 6:48 PM
    • 7,882Posts
    • 13,308Thanks
    Dreamnine
    Do you ever forget to take your medication?
    • 14th Jul 17, 6:48 PM
    Do you ever forget to take your medication? 14th Jul 17 at 6:48 PM
    I'm on 6 main medications; 3 when I get up and 3 at bedtime. I'm on various others, sprays etc. which I take ad hoc during the day.

But I've found myself in the morning sometimes wondering whether I took my meds or not. Normally, it's quite routine: I have a wash, put on my clothes, brush my teeth then take my pills.

But I'm sure forgetfulness has overcome me at least once.

The ones at night I never forget.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
Page 1
    • The Last Username
    • By The Last Username 14th Jul 17, 7:06 PM
    • 3,218 Posts
    • 7,223 Thanks
    The Last Username
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:06 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:06 PM
    No.
    Mostly because I have survived into my fifth decade and beyond without actually needing any, which helps because the way my memory is at times I can be sure I would forget sometimes.

Now have I just tempted fate?
    Here we go ...................

• Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 14th Jul 17, 7:13 PM
    • 22,514 Posts
    • 56,100 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:13 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:13 PM
    I take mine at bedtime, I have an alarm on my phone as a reminder (but I also have Marley to remind me ...)

If you're drowsy in the morning and cannot remember whether you've taken them or not, have you considered putting them out somewhere, maybe even a days/week pillbox? Then if it's empty for the morning slot that day, you'll know that you did take them.
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 14th Jul 17, 7:16 PM
    • 7,882 Posts
    • 13,308 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:16 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:16 PM
    I take mine at bedtime, I have an alarm on my phone as a reminder (but I also have Marley to remind me ...)

If you're drowsy in the morning and cannot remember whether you've taken them or not, have you considered putting them out somewhere, maybe even a days/week pillbox? Then if it's empty for the morning slot that day, you'll know that you did take them.
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    I had a pill box once but it fell apart! But I think you're right; I'll perhaps start keeping my morning meds in the living room - that way I won't miss them when I'm having my coffee.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
    • colinw
    • By colinw 14th Jul 17, 7:18 PM
    • 50,268 Posts
    • 137,389 Thanks
    colinw
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:18 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:18 PM
    Yes especially on holiday but then it can get confusing with time changes anyway, usually the Statin I forget to take..
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 14th Jul 17, 7:19 PM
    • 8,396 Posts
    • 10,689 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:19 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:19 PM
    I don't take any medication. But on the rare occasions that I have needed antibiotics, my hubby reminds me. I think the alarm on the phone is a great idea.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 14th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 8,471 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    I use a pill box that I fill up on a Sunday to cover the whole week (I got the idea from someone on here) and that way I can see if I have missed a dose.

The insulin injection is a different matter, I have missed a few of them before, usually the evening one where I have been distracted for some reason.
    I don't take extra when I realise the next day, I just carry on as if I had taken it.
    I try to put out 2 needles in the morning when I am getting that days tablets ready and that helps when I see one of them still sitting there at the end of the day.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 3000 miles in 2017 - 2631.8
    This week 71.4
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 14th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 7,882 Posts
    • 13,308 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    Yes especially on holiday but then it can get confusing with time changes anyway, usually the Statin I forget to take..
    Originally posted by colinw
    I've deliberately missed my statin before when I had a craving for grapefruit; strange how the two are incompatible.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
    • The Last Username
    • By The Last Username 14th Jul 17, 7:56 PM
    • 3,218 Posts
    • 7,223 Thanks
    The Last Username
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:56 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:56 PM
    Talking of pillboxes, Mrs LUN and I prepare 4-weeks-worth at a time for her mother (nanny as she is known to the grandchildren).
    We started with sets where each compartment was approximately the size of a dice, oh say three or four years ago.
    NOW each compartment is the size of a box of matches (if anyone remembers them)!
    Not just because of more tablets although that is partly the reason, but because she can't see the darned things - and it's an absolute PITA finding these pill boxes too.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 14th Jul 17, 7:59 PM
    • 50,268 Posts
    • 137,389 Thanks
    colinw
    I've deliberately missed my statin before when I had a craving for grapefruit; strange how the two are incompatible.
    Originally posted by Dreamnine
    I think the combo can actually kill you
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 14th Jul 17, 7:59 PM
    • 7,882 Posts
    • 13,308 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    Pillboxes and apps or alarms on phones are all very well but you have to set them up properly. I'm lucky my eyesight is still good.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 14th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 7,882 Posts
    • 13,308 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    I think the combo can actually kill you
    Originally posted by colinw
    I dodged a bullet there - actually, I missed my statins 2 days in a row so I could have grapefruit.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 14th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 12,580 Posts
    • 48,099 Thanks
    joansgirl
    Always forget them, every day
    Luckily they're not life or death meds.

As for not remembering taking them, some things become automatic over time and it's not until you stop and think about it that you have doubts. I get this problem when I lock up at work. I've been known to go all the way back to check I've locked the door And I always have locked it, just don't remember
    • colinw
    • By colinw 14th Jul 17, 8:01 PM
    • 50,268 Posts
    • 137,389 Thanks
    colinw
    I have a seven day pill box thing I bought at Aldi
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 14th Jul 17, 8:07 PM
    • 7,070 Posts
    • 19,106 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Son takes pills morning & night - he's an alarm clock & a pill pot for the morning dose & three computers & phones chirp to remind him about the evening one. If her forgets, the odds of a full seizure rocket. We're getting there...

I have it easy - a nightly dose & I'm sorted.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 14th Jul 17, 9:11 PM
    • 7,243 Posts
    • 13,252 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    The odd couple of times.

However, how many people are alive due to their mothers forgetting to take the Pill or on antibiotics whilst on it (reduces the effectiveness).

I know about two dozen of my generation and their kids! Probably more but not everyone reveals the story of how they or children were conceived. Then some were never told.
    • MrsShazbat
    • By MrsShazbat 14th Jul 17, 9:25 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 2,319 Thanks
    MrsShazbat
    I take thyroxine each morning when I wake up and have 2 squirts of my asthma preventer. I forgot to take my thyroxine one morning while we've been on holiday, just took it later. Missed one a few weeks ago when I stayed over at a friend's and forgot to pack them, and by the time I realised it way half a day later. I take 2 x prescription Vit D tablets, twice a day, and never ever empty the bottle - yet I have a reminder in my phone for the morning ones (because of the gap required following my thyroxine) but I do it so often by muscle memory I just don't remember taking them. The second lot I take at tea-time with my other over-the-counter vitamins, but again I've got a reminder in my phone. I also forgot my preventer most mornings on holiday.

My husband has always been annoyingly blase about his numerous meds, despite being Type 2 diabetic and also on statins. However, now his Type 2 has reached the point of needing insulin he seems to have got his act together.
    PAYDBX 2017 #71 £2352.41 / £3053.49 * Xmas 2017 #8 £465.53 / £365 * (2016 £424.32 / £366)
    * SPCNo.10 #66 (SPCNo.9 £442.64 inc Quidco to 2/11/16 £138.92 *
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 14th Jul 17, 9:32 PM
    • 7,243 Posts
    • 13,252 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    With medication some can be taken at any time. Some before, during or after food.

So if you got three different medications that one has to be taken before, one whilst eating and one after food three times a day, you are taking them nine times a day. Some medication can make you sick if you take them the wrong times. My late grandmother often did this
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 14th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 22,514 Posts
    • 56,100 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    I take thyroxine each morning when I wake up and have 2 squirts of my asthma preventer. I forgot to take my thyroxine one morning while we've been on holiday, just took it later. Missed one a few weeks ago when I stayed over at a friend's and forgot to pack them, and by the time I realised it way half a day later.
    Originally posted by MrsShazbat
    Blimey - if I miss my (evening) dose of thyroxine, I certainly know about it the next morning, I feel completely bleurgh. It's only because I'm asleep that I don't miss it earlier.
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • LimeLight
    • By LimeLight 14th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    • 7,690 Posts
    • 13,549 Thanks
    LimeLight
    Boots put my meds in a blister pack
    just passing through.... Nothing to see....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,843Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin