Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 14th Jul 17, 6:46 PM
    • 4,015Posts
    • 1,777Thanks
    aardvaak
    Mozilla Firefox
    • 14th Jul 17, 6:46 PM
    Mozilla Firefox 14th Jul 17 at 6:46 PM
    Why is Firefox so useless?

It is nowadays constantly displaying "firefox not responding"

What better progarm are there?
Page 1
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 14th Jul 17, 7:19 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:19 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:19 PM

Originally posted by aardvaak
    Gave up on FF some time ago, now i use Google Chrome
    • Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 14th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Teapot55
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    I'm surprised at the above because I changed to Firefox a while ago, as I find it so user friendly. It doesn't often crash for me, but I couldn't tell you what I am doing or not doing.

The main reasons I find Firefox so good are these:
    • You can press F11 and get full screen, which you don't seem to be able to do with the new microsoft edge
    • you can do long press on the 'back' arrow (top-left) and get a drop-down menu of the last dozen or so pages - great for navigating back to the home page on MSE for instance
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 14th Jul 17, 7:52 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:52 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:52 PM
    Pressing Shift, the Windows key and Enter in Edge will take it full screen.

You can achieve the Firefox effect in Edge by right-clicking on the back button.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 14th Jul 17, 8:15 PM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 1,777 Thanks
    aardvaak
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:15 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:15 PM
    Gave up on FF some time ago, now i use Google Chrome
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    I just tried Chrome - it is even more useless
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 14th Jul 17, 8:19 PM
    • 5,096 Posts
    • 6,506 Thanks
    A. Badger
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:19 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:19 PM
    I don't suffer any lack of responsiveness from either (under W10). Firefox has suffered from bloat, as so many programmes do, but the fact that you can't make either Chrome or Firefox run properly suggests something else is wrong. Do any browsers work properly for you?
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 14th Jul 17, 8:43 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 811 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:43 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:43 PM
    You could try SeaMonkey - built on the same engine as Firefox but takes a more traditional approach re interface and features.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 14th Jul 17, 9:05 PM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 1,777 Thanks
    aardvaak
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:05 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:05 PM
    I don't suffer any lack of responsiveness from either (under W10). Firefox has suffered from bloat, as so many programmes do, but the fact that you can't make either Chrome or Firefox run properly suggests something else is wrong. Do any browsers work properly for you?
    Originally posted by A. Badger

Supprisingly
    Edge is slightly better.

What else could be wrong then?
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 14th Jul 17, 9:18 PM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 1,777 Thanks
    aardvaak
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:18 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:18 PM
    You could try SeaMonkey - built on the same engine as Firefox but takes a more traditional approach re interface and features.
    Originally posted by ThemeOne
    Why is is it saying "this site is untrustworthy"?
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 14th Jul 17, 9:42 PM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    RumRat
    Invariably, when FF has problems, it's with an add-on or a plug in.
    Personally, I haven't had any problems with FF in a long time.
    OP, see if the problem persists in 'Safe mode' or just disable all your add-ons and reintroduce them one at a time until you replicate the problem.
    On your last point, I don't believe that there is a better program. However, that is just a personal opinion.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 14th Jul 17, 10:19 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Firefox is great

I find that Add-ons are essential but bad ones need to be dumped,

Perhaps list the add-ons you have and we can give you alternatives, for example adblock plus makes Firefox really Slow, delete it and replace with uBlock origin.

Firefox can slow down for a number of reasons, most common are shortage of ram and a clogged network, especially if you are on ADSL and have low upload.

You can improve this by stopping firefox updates from randomly looking for updates:

Tools, add-ons, then click settings , update all your add-ons then and set to manual update from then on

You also need to stop the bloat on your system that is competing for network resources, anything that is uploading on ADSL is bad as is a bunch of applets in the system tray, either using ram or calling home to check for updates.

For the bloatware run MSCONFIG as an admin and go to startup, untick all and reboot, then consider turning just ones you absolutely need, clue, I only need one.

Post back more details, like your ram and perhaps the free memory in performance tab of Task Manager.

I recently updates my hard disk to SSD on a couple of systems, Firefox start up is now tolerable and it is pretty fast, I never get those messages but I have 8gb of ram.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Jul 17, 3:02 AM
    • 25,292 Posts
    • 10,036 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Recently finding Firefox to be my weakpoint.

Having a FF window open with a flash based game, probably pretty memory hungry. Leave that running and then had a pile of of other FF windows open and then launch Youtube in FF. I find that the youtube video starts to flash. Reload the youtube page and it stops flashing but sometimes it restarts the video and not resume.

Thingiverse also kills firefox. On my old system it would kill it very quickly. Now i can get 20 or so pages through the site then firefox starts to hang.

I switched to Ublock a while back. Much better.

Not the PCs fault this time, Win 10, R1700, 16GB etc.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 15th Jul 17, 7:19 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 811 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    Why is is it saying "this site is untrustworthy"?
    Do you mean this site? https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/

It's fine for me.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 15th Jul 17, 9:03 AM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north

There is nothing wrong with F/Fox, feel free to use Chrome or Edge, but the problem doesn't lie with Mozilla. It works fine on a desktop and 2 x laptops here, all running Win 10/64 with 4GB ram.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 15th Jul 17, 10:07 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    I just tried Chrome - it is even more useless
    Been using chrome several years now and never had any issues that cause major problems.
    yes you cannot plate unite games using chrome now, but that is no loss.

You will find every browser will have little issues, you just need to find one you are comfortable with.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 15th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 1,777 Thanks
    aardvaak
    Do you mean this site? https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/

It's fine for me.
    Originally posted by ThemeOne
    Used that still says "This Connection is Untrusted"

Now dumped
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 15th Jul 17, 12:11 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    DavidP24
    I thought it was just that it means no SSL on site, a huge percentage of sites do not have SSL because it is a nice little scam to charge site owners.

I just wen to link and it was fine

Download is just from Mozilla sub domain

http://download.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/seamonkey/releases/2.46/win32/en-US/SeaMonkey%20Setup%202.46.exe
    Last edited by DavidP24; 15-07-2017 at 12:18 PM.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Jul 17, 1:16 PM
    • 25,292 Posts
    • 10,036 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Time and date wrong on the PC? That will give security errors.

Just tried the above link in Firefox and Chrome and both work fine.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 15th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    a huge percentage of sites do not have SSL because it is a nice little scam to charge site owners.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    you are way behind the times, if a server uses cPanel all sites on the server now get a free SSL installed automatically though autoSSL.
    SSL is not a scam it is a service provided by webhosts, just like domains, SSL certs encrypt personal details and payment details, without an SSL your details would be seen by anyone with access to webservers and payment processors.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 15th Jul 17, 3:06 PM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 1,777 Thanks
    aardvaak
    I thought it was just that it means no SSL on site, a huge percentage of sites do not have SSL because it is a nice little scam to charge site owners.

I just wen to link and it was fine

Download is just from Mozilla sub domain

http://download.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/seamonkey/releases/2.46/win32/en-US/SeaMonkey%20Setup%202.46.exe
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    Even here it still says untrustworthy
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,444Posts Today

8,523Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin