Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emperorstevee
    • By emperorstevee 14th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 9Thanks
    emperorstevee
    Croock Pot cheaper for 2 people?
    • 14th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    Croock Pot cheaper for 2 people? 14th Jul 17 at 5:58 PM
    I currently live on my own and my girlfriend visits. We very rarely have more than us in my flat.

I had the thought that rather than spend hundreds on a gas oven, would it not be cheaper both initially and in the long run to use a crock pot? They only cost £30 to buy, won't use up room, and we don't have big meals.
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Jul 17, 6:00 PM
    • 59,199 Posts
    • 345,579 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 14th Jul 17, 6:00 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 6:00 PM
    There's just me and I use a crock pot, mini oven (toaster oven) and a microwave. You can do 95% of things with those - allbeit with some adaptations and compromises.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 25,296 Posts
    • 10,039 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 14th Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    You can buy used ovens very cheaply. Lots of people swap them out because they dont like the colour or having a new kitchen.

Mate bought an entire kitchen with appliances and units, which were in good condition because the seller had just moved into the property and wanted to replace it all. £100 all in.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 14th Jul 17, 7:01 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:01 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:01 PM
    Of course the advantage a gas oven will have over the crock pot is cooking things quicker and on demand, whereas in the crock pot you'd have to set it all up many hours beforehand.

Some stuff is recommended not to do in the crock pot - seafood for example or soft veg like peas at the start of cooking, rice/pasta and some herbs. Possibly chips too may get too soggy.

Having a full blown oven also allows access to roasting, frying and occasionally burning, as well as the ability to cook other things like those part-baked rolls for example and other things that don't suit well to being crock-potted.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 14th Jul 17, 9:51 PM
    • 2,415 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:51 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:51 PM
    Have a crock pot for the odd stay in and just eat out most of the time when she visits.
    I think we only have a kitchen because it came with the house....

Go on, I'll ask..............Why is this considered a Tech question..
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 14th Jul 17, 10:28 PM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:28 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:28 PM
    I currently live on my own and my girlfriend visits. We very rarely have more than us in my flat.

I had the thought that rather than spend hundreds on a gas oven, would it not be cheaper both initially and in the long run to use a crock pot? They only cost £30 to buy, won't use up room, and we don't have big meals.
    Originally posted by emperorstevee
    The trick is to get a decent Gas cooker from eBay or Gumtree, do not compromise, I saw someone say to look on ebay for people selling kitchen units because they invariably get rid of appliances.

I have seen £600 ovens as new going for £60, you have to just be patient.

Now the other reason you want a gas oven (other than it being the best way to cook) has to do with your girlfriend.

Get yourself a cookbook, something basic like Jamie Oliver and have a crack at the recipes, it will impress her to sample your culinary delights and if nothing else you can laugh as you learn, it may be that she will want to cook on it occasionally.

Feeding someone goes to the heart of caring for them and cooking a proper meal with a little planning is always appreciated, by both sexes.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Jul 17, 3:04 AM
    • 25,296 Posts
    • 10,039 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:04 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:04 AM
    Thats done it... DavidP24 im packed and on my way to yours
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

• DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 15th Jul 17, 7:33 AM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:33 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:33 AM
    OK but can you pick up a Chinese on the way as not in mood for cooking! Anything will do but partial to duck, king prawn and mai fun noodles!
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Jul 17, 11:05 AM
    • 25,296 Posts
    • 10,039 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:05 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:05 AM
    Prawn oooh no.... Yuk.

• McKneff
    • By McKneff 15th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    • 35,406 Posts
    • 45,566 Thanks
    McKneff
    I'll bring crispy duck and a bottle of wine
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,401Posts Today

8,263Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin