Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lfh29
    • By Lfh29 14th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lfh29
    Gap year trip causing fee status issues
    • 14th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    Gap year trip causing fee status issues 14th Jul 17 at 5:16 PM
    I am currently 34 and support myself. I finally took the plunge after deciding I really want to be a nurse in October 2015. I needed to do an access to HE course which I could not attend until September 2016 so decided to take a gap 'year' trip to South America (something I had wanted to do for such a long time. I booked a return flight and was away for nine months.

I have completed my access course (distinction student) and applied to Kingston university. I received an offer but am not having trouble with my fee status because I took the gap trip. I received a request for the following documents:

1.Evidence of your temporary absence overseas i.e. if it was for education, please provide a school admission letter or if it was for employment reasons, please provide a temporary work contract.

- I can show evidence that I was away but I was travelling, not working or on a course so I do not have this evidence! What are my options?

2.Evidence that you or your parents/legal guardians have maintained a property in the UK/EU/EEA/Switzerland/Overseas Territories i.e. property ownership documents, rental agreements, a Council Tax statement from the period that you were overseas.

- I have sent them a screen shot of my dad's council tax online record showing he was paying council tax on his property. I don't know if this will be enough.

3. Evidence that you have visited this property i.e. official correspondence sent to you at this address (bank statements, tax documents, etc). Please note that we would require one piece of correspondence per year for the past three years i.e. one from 2013, one from 2014, one from 2015 etc

- I can find proof of address for 2012, 2013 and 2015 but not 2014 though I have requested a statement of address during this year from my bank - what if I am unable to get this or its not good enough?

4. Evidence that you have made regular return visits to the UK/EU/EEA/Switzerland/Overseas Territories i.e. flight tickets, online booking forms, temporary working visas, stamps in your passports.

- I have sent through my STA travel flight booking and photos of the stamps on my passport.

5. Your full birth certificate

- they will receive this by the end of the month as I have had to order a new one.

I thought that a gap trip would support my application, not hinder it! I apologise for the crazy amount of words and would appreciate any advice you can give me.
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 15th Jul 17, 10:04 AM
    • 3,855 Posts
    • 2,866 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:04 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:04 AM
    You need to have been resident on the UK for three years to qualify.

Unfortunately, you were out of the country for 9 months so they are checking of you still qualify as resident for that time.
    • Lfh29
    • By Lfh29 15th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lfh29
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    I do appreciate that though I was on the electoral role and still registered with a GP while I was away, it was also a definite temporary trip (out and in flights booked) and I have bank letters from when I was away.

I guess I just feel I'm being penalised for taking a gap year when all I read suggested it would be a plus to my application. I am a military veteran and I guess I partly feel as though my loyalty is in question - as if I take a few months to travel and suddenly the rest of my life was worthless.

I don't think there's really any information out there saying how it could put your application in jeopardy either. I have since heard about an appeal process if I am turned down but hope it doesn't come to that.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 16th Jul 17, 11:30 AM
    • 3,855 Posts
    • 2,866 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:30 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:30 AM
    Your application for the course is separate to an application for financial support.

All they are asking is proof that you were not living or working abroad. that seems reasonable.

They have not refused you.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 25th Jul 17, 11:44 AM
    • 11,640 Posts
    • 7,892 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 25th Jul 17, 11:44 AM
    • 25th Jul 17, 11:44 AM
    I do appreciate that though I was on the electoral role and still registered with a GP while I was away, it was also a definite temporary trip (out and in flights booked) and I have bank letters from when I was away.

I guess I just feel I'm being penalised for taking a gap year when all I read suggested it would be a plus to my application. I am a military veteran and I guess I partly feel as though my loyalty is in question - as if I take a few months to travel and suddenly the rest of my life was worthless.

I don't think there's really any information out there saying how it could put your application in jeopardy either. I have since heard about an appeal process if I am turned down but hope it doesn't come to that.
    Originally posted by Lfh29
    Your year abroad will indeed have strengthened your application to university.

However, it has also raised questions about your eligibility for student finance, hence the request for further information. From what you say I am confident that you do qualify, but have to cooperate with them while they establish your eligibility.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,116Posts Today

6,902Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin