Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ardvo
    • By ardvo 14th Jul 17, 5:03 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 9Thanks
    ardvo
    MBNA Credit card, requesting online credit limit Increase, How much to ask for? +ques
    • 14th Jul 17, 5:03 PM
    MBNA Credit card, requesting online credit limit Increase, How much to ask for? +ques 14th Jul 17 at 5:03 PM
    When using an MBNA credit card (used for years), some questions about requesting a credit limit increase:

Here are the facts:
    There is a balance on it currently

Paying more than the minimum payment every month,

Account has Not missed any payments.

Credit file is clean and above standard.

When requesting a credit limit increase online, by clicking the Request limit increase link

1) Then on the next page online, what questions do they ask?
    2) How many steps are there?

3) When you requested a limit increase online, what amount did you request?
    and was it approved ?

4) Current limit is £7000, what would be an suitable limit to ask for?
    (which is quite a bit higher, but not too much that they reject it for being too high a request lol)

which is why I asked question 3)

(NB, I am not asking about them automatically offering you a credit limit increase)

Can you please answer them above 4 questions, cheers

added, I need a higher limit for future purchases.
    I am not just requesting it for fun lol.
    Last edited by ardvo; 14-07-2017 at 5:21 PM.
Page 1
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 14th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    • 1,367 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 14th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    Do you actually need a higher limit. How much is on the card now
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 15th Jul 17, 12:54 PM
    • 6,195 Posts
    • 3,233 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 15th Jul 17, 12:54 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 12:54 PM
    When requesting a credit limit increase online, by clicking the Request limit increase link

1) Then on the next page online, what questions do they ask?
    2) How many steps are there?

3) When you requested a limit increase online, what amount did you request?
    and was it approved ?

4) Current limit is £7000, what would be an suitable limit to ask for?
    (which is quite a bit higher, but not too much that they reject it for being too high a request lol)

which is why I asked question 3)
    Originally posted by ardvo
    1) I just tried it. The next screen displays your current limit. It asks what limit you want and what your annual income is. It will give you an instant response and tells you by submitting the request you agree to a search being made.

2) Just this step.

3)
    Didn't go any further, because my card is dormant and I don't want a search.

4) My guess is if you ask too much they will just give you a lower limit rather than reject you. Just a guess. How much do you need? What is your income? If you're shy, why not stick in £12,000 ! See what happens. A single search is never a problem.
    • A4445
    • By A4445 15th Jul 17, 3:48 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    A4445
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:48 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:48 PM
    I've used the MBNA increase limit option a few times and they haven't once completed any credit searches!
    • ardvo
    • By ardvo 15th Jul 17, 10:02 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    ardvo
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:02 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:02 PM
    Thanks chattychappy,

I've used the MBNA increase limit option a few times and they haven't once completed any credit searches!
    Originally posted by A4445
    Can you also answer the questions I have asked you
    • A4445
    • By A4445 15th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    A4445
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    If it was me I'd try £9k you don't want to look too greedy!
    • Superscrooge
    • By Superscrooge 16th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    • 843 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    Superscrooge
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    I've no experience of MBNA. But after I had my Barclaycard for a couple of years with a £6K credit limit and no increases, I decided to request a credit limit and thought I was pushing my luck asking for an increase to £10k. But it was granted online in seconds and 6 months later without me requesting they increased it to £11.5K.

So asking for a credit limit increase from £7k to £10k wouldn't be unreasonable in my opinion, if your credit file is in order. .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

492Posts Today

5,180Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin