Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Col81
    • By Col81 14th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    • 53Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Col81
    score
    • 14th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    score 14th Jul 17 at 3:33 PM
    9 months ago my credit score experian was 90!!! i had 4 defaults 3 years ago and i am in a DMP with stepchange currently owe £12k. I am unable to register on the votors roll due to my mum being on benefits. What is the best my score will go to without being on the register and ive been told as time goes on the defaults lose effect. I am hoping to get upto 800 as i need to lease a car in the coming 12 months for work
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 14th Jul 17, 3:43 PM
    • 4,723 Posts
    • 9,512 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 14th Jul 17, 3:43 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 3:43 PM
    9 months ago my credit score experian was 90!!! i had 4 defaults 3 years ago and i am in a DMP with stepchange currently owe £12k. I am unable to register on the votors roll due to my mum being on benefits. What is the best my score will go to without being on the register and ive been told as time goes on the defaults lose effect. I am hoping to get upto 800 as i need to lease a car in the coming 12 months for work
    Originally posted by Col81
    You have pretty much no chance of bringing it up that far or leasing a car to be honest. Your score is meaningless, but your history is poor.

There is no reason that you can't be on the electoral roll unless your mum is fraudulently claiming. If she is claiming properly with you as an occupier for housing or council tax benefits then you being on the roll makes zero difference to her claim.
    So register on the roll.

Defaults will drop off after three years, but you'll still have history of poor handling of credit.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • Col81
    • By Col81 14th Jul 17, 3:46 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Col81
    • 14th Jul 17, 3:46 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 3:46 PM
    My problem is i dont have a fixed abode but use my mums address i own the house with a mortgage and have my driving licence and passport bank etc all their but she lives on her own and gets housing benefit that she pays to me as her landlord she also gets a council tax discount. I stay with my dad or girlfriend. I would love to go on the votors roll but have been told her benefits would stop if i did. Which by the way the mortgage is £500 and i get £370 i am keeping her housed.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 14th Jul 17, 4:03 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:03 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:03 PM
    So your mum lives in your house and you get paid the housing benefit? Ummm. You really don't ever stay there? Why?
    Easy solution then. Just move into your house permanently and register on the electoral register and let the housing benefit stop. Why would you charge your mum? I'm guessing you can afford the mortgage without it, or you wouldn't have bought the place? Or... Draw up a proper tenancy agreement for your mum, and you register at your girlfriends?
    Everyone is different but my score went from 94 up to 450 in 18 months. With defaults ( which i have too) I can't see you getting to 800 in a year. Could you buy a cheap car outright? Mines worth about £500 and a great little runner.
    • Col81
    • By Col81 14th Jul 17, 4:08 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Col81
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:08 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:08 PM
    I stay with my dad near Manchester were i work my mum lives 25 miles away.
    • Col81
    • By Col81 14th Jul 17, 4:13 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Col81
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:13 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:13 PM
    I charge my mum as i have debts and bills to pay
    • Col81
    • By Col81 14th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Col81
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    I have a proper tenancy with her. I have child maintnenace and debts etc to pay so cannot afford to not take the cash off her. So it seems i am stuck, its what you get for helping house someone punished.
    • amfan
    • By amfan 14th Jul 17, 4:40 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    amfan
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:40 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:40 PM
    Register at your dads then if that's where you live..
    • Col81
    • By Col81 14th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Col81
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    I am 35 and have never paid council tax so i hope they wont want 17 years worth!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 14th Jul 17, 6:37 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    Sncjw
    I thought you got accepted for a credit card that your going to buy parts to repair your current car

You say you charge your mum but you only get 180 quid and your mum pockets the rest of the housing benefit. I think this is really stupid considering your £12k in debt this money you say your mortgage is only £400 a month so your losing more money on top of your debts. The money you could pay towards your debt .

Surely your mother would rather you get out of debt
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 14th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    • 4,723 Posts
    • 9,512 Thanks
    marliepanda
    I have a proper tenancy with her. I have child maintnenace and debts etc to pay so cannot afford to not take the cash off her. So it seems i am stuck, its what you get for helping house someone punished.
    You're not housing your mum. Housing benefit is.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 14th Jul 17, 7:43 PM
    • 10,997 Posts
    • 15,175 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Your mum shouldn't be pocketing the housing benefit. If you're only charging her £180 pcm rent then that's all the housing benefit she should be getting. It sounds as though she's committing benefit fraud.

I doubt not being on the electoral register is preventing you from accessing credit. Your DMP and any defaults because of it is probably a more significant factor.

Why do you care about a score no one but you can see anyway?

What your credit score means
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 14th Jul 17, 9:28 PM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 909 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Your mum being on benefits doesn't stop you registering on the voters roll unless she is committing benefit fraud by pretending you're not there.

You have no money, you're broke which is why you are in a DMP. The last thing you need to be doing is leasing a car because you can't afford it and if Stepchange find out they'll most likely cancel the DMP.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 15th Jul 17, 8:57 AM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I think your issue is something is not quite right and you are worried about the consequences? If you do live with your dad why don't you just register there? Does your mortgage allow you to rent to your mum? Does the housing benefit cover the ' rent' or are you making an additional profit? I'm not trying to berate you, just understand why simply registering somewhere is so problematic because it shouldn't be. You seem to think you are doing your mum a favour too. I'm sure there are other places she could live. I think maybe you are being creative....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

180Posts Today

1,278Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin